Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
toga
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam 7 : Wan acceleration scenarios

Post by toga »

Hello,

I have two physical servers :

1 : One Windows Server 2008 R2 with veeam 7.0 at our main site (let’s call it SRV-MAIN-VEEAM)
2 : One vSphere ESXi 5.0 with one VM (File server) and one VM (Veeam 7.0 server) at remote site. (SRV-BRANCH-HOST with SRV-BRANCH-FILES, SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM)

SRV-BRANCH-HOST has no vCenter (no cluster, just a standalone VMWare server).

My 2 sites are not linked by VPN. They have their own ISPs.

My goal : starting from SRV-MAIN-VEEAM, backup SRV-BRANCH-FILES.

I have a few hypothesis:

H1) is the SRV-MAIN-VEEAM which launches backup on the SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM ?
If H1) : does SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM push data (through WAN) to SRV-MAIN-VEEAM or is it the opposite ?

H2) Do I need to add SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM into SRV-MAIN-VEEAM or the opposite ? or both ?

H3) using creds : to specify creds, I still use {local_ip_server}\Administrator. Is that right ?

My tests :
- On SRV-MAIN-VEEAM, I added the remote SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM in “File => Microsoft Windows” item
- I open (output) following ports on main site firewall : 443, 902, 6060, 6064-6065, 2500-5000.
- I open (input) with NAT the same ports on the branch’s firewall. All ports are redirected to SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM except 443 and 902 to SRV-BRANCH-HOST
- Add SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM into “Backup Infrastructure => Wan accelerator” : success
- The opposite : still failing :(

Well, my questions :
Q1) do you have a scenario I can test with Veeam 7 between main site and branch using WAN Acceleration ?

Q2) which ones, in my hypothesis, are true/false ? Where am I wrong ?

Thank you for your answers.

Toga
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam 7 : Wan acceleration scenarios

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Toga,
toga wrote:H1) is the SRV-MAIN-VEEAM which launches backup on the SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM ?
No, your secondary Veeam Server (SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM) cannot be managed by SRV-MAIN-VEEAM.
toga wrote:If H1) : does SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM push data (through WAN) to SRV-MAIN-VEEAM or is it the opposite ?
If your goal is to use SRV-MAIN-VEEAM to backup SRV-BRANCH-FILES and store backup files on the main site, then you should create a regular backup job, add SRV-BRANCH-FILES VM to the job and point it to the local repository server. Once you do this you should create backup copy job to transfer SRV-BRANCH-FILES backup files to the main site. To do that you should deploy backup proxy and source WAN accelerator at the remote site and then configure your backup copy job to push data to target WAN accelerator (MAIN site).
toga wrote:H2) Do I need to add SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM into SRV-MAIN-VEEAM or the opposite ? or both ?
To use backup copy jobs you only need one Veeam Backup & Replication server.
toga wrote:H3) using creds : to specify creds, I still use {local_ip_server}\Administrator. Is that right ?
Not sure I understand what credentials you're referring to. Can you please elaborate it further?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I also suggest reviewing the corresponding sections of the user guide to better understand backup copy/WAN acceleration usage scenarios.
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

Hello

Thank you for your replies
"Not sure I understand what credentials you're referring to. Can you please elaborate it further?"
I’m referring to add the remote server in main site with his public IP (for exemple : I add other server with public IP and the window open with credentials )
"If your goal is to use SRV-MAIN-VEEAM to backup SRV-BRANCH-FILES and store backup files on the main site"
"then you should create a regular backup job, add SRV-BRANCH-FILES VM to the job"
"To do that you should deploy backup proxy and source WAN accelerator at the remote site and then configure your backup copy job to push data to target WAN accelerator (MAIN site)."
it's precisely my scenario: you told me I only need one Veeam server, but as I have VM in the main site, I want to backup them.
So what I understand is :
- I install veeam on the BRANCH (virtual) server. I create a local repository (on the BRANCH disk drive for example)
- I create a backup on the Veeam into the SRV-BRANCH which targets this local repository
- To finish, I create a job to push files from SRV-BRANCH to SRV-MAIN repository.

Well at this point, I’m not sure I understand the proxy story : I read all docs you sent (#######) but I’m not sure of what to do. Do you have some more explanations please ?
Do I have to add SRV-MAIN-VEEAM proxy's in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM ? or SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM proxy's in SRV-MAIN-VEEAM?
I didn’t find in your support doc.

When i create the backup copy job, i don't see my WAN accelerator in the main site, i have only one, its local WAN accelerator. Maybe the problem is firewall port, is there a process which can validate my configs are ok on both sides ?

Thank you for your answers.

Toga
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
toga wrote:I’m referring to add the remote server in main site with his public IP (for exemple : I add other server with public IP and the window open with credentials )
H3) using creds : to specify creds, I still use {local_ip_server}\Administrator. Is that right ?
Yes, that's correct.
toga wrote:it's precisely my scenario: you told me I only need one Veeam server, but as I have VM in the main site, I want to backup them.
So what I understand is :
- I install veeam on the BRANCH (virtual) server. I create a local repository (on the BRANCH disk drive for example)
- I create a backup on the Veeam into the SRV-BRANCH which targets this local repository
- To finish, I create a job to push files from SRV-BRANCH to SRV-MAIN repository.
Correct.
toga wrote:]Well at this point, I’m not sure I understand the proxy story : I read all docs you sent (#######) but I’m not sure of what to do. Do you have some more explanations please ?
Do I have to add SRV-MAIN-VEEAM proxy's in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM ? or SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM proxy's in SRV-MAIN-VEEAM?
You shouldn't add either of the backup servers to each other, they will act independently. What you should do is to install proxy servers (via Veeam backup console UI) at each site, deploy WAN Accelerators and then use backup copy jobs to transfer VM backup data over the WAN link.
toga wrote:When i create the backup copy job, i don't see my WAN accelerator in the main site, i have only one, its local WAN accelerator. Maybe the problem is firewall port, is there a process which can validate my configs are ok on both side
You should add the target WAN accelerator via "Add WAN Accelerator" button in the backup console.

Hope this helps!
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

Hello,

Thank you for your replies !

First time, I was doing wrong with my ports opening, I opened incoming ports on my BRANCH router, but this time, I reversed the process and opened ports on the router of my MAIN router/fw.

Then, I was able to add a Wan accelerator on the BRANCH server, using the MAIN SITE ip address. So when I created a backup job, I could easily choose the target on my MAIN site (wohoooooooo !)

To do that, I had to open ports 6160, 6164-6165, 2500-5000, 135-139 and 445 in MAIN SITE.

Now I created the backup job in local repository (SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM) and the backup copy job in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM to push up the backup to SRV-MAIN-VEAM repository.
I set local backup starts manually (I started it just after creating it) and backup copy files every day at midnight.

Backup copy files job is in “idle” status, so I guess, waiting for next start moment. But, when I finished adding this operation, and the backup copy job had started, there is one error : “Failed to perform backup verification” “Error : RPC function call failed. Fonction name : [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine : [192.x]”

On this topic : Veeam 7 WAN-accelerator ports i saw I need to open ports for RPC on the MAIN SITE, that is done.
But, at the end of the topic, it is said I needn’t these ports afterwards…

What does this error refer to ? Did I miss something ?
Will my copy files be successfully done ?

The local backup is performing, I have no errors on it and I’ll see tomorrow morning if the WAN copy has been made. But if I can anticipate an error … ;-)

Thank you again for your answers.

Toga
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Toga, it's better to contact our technical team directly for any technical issue you have, our support engineers will assist you with logs review. As to the error message, then I believe it is still a firewall issue, need to verify that all required ports are opened.
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

Hello

Yes it’s correct for the firewall issue.

Now when I do the backup copy job, there is this error :

“Unable to allocate processing resources. Error : Target Wan accelerator is unavailable, or not up-to-date”

But I have created WAN acceleration in SRV-MAIN-VEEAM and in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM. I don’t understand..

What does this error refer to? Did I miss something?

Thank you again for your answers.

Toga
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Toga,

Have you created a pair of WAN Accelerators (one on each site) using SRV-MAIN-Veeam server? Do they both work (accessible by the backup console)?

Thanks!
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

Vitaliy S,

I have created in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM : local WAN Accelerator and SRV-MAIN-Veeam WAN Accelerator.

I have created in SRV-MAIN-VEAM : local WAN Accelerator

Toga
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, you need only two WAN Accelerators to copy backup files from one site to another, keep in mind that these WAN Accelerators cannot be shared between two backup servers. Does your SRV-MAIN-VEEAM server have two accelerators in the console (local and remote one)?
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

Ok, you need only two WAN Accelerators to copy backup files from one site to another, keep in mind that these WAN Accelerators cannot be shared between two backup servers
I'm sorry i don't understand your replie. I just need two Accelerator in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM console ? and for SRV-MAIN-VEEAM nothing?
Does your SRV-MAIN-VEEAM server have two accelerators in the console (local and remote one)?
No my SRV-MAIN-VEEAM have juste local Accelerator in the console and SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM have local Accelerator and main Accelerator.

Thank
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To be able to transfer backup files from one site to another you need 1 Veeam B&R server and 2 WAN accelerators. There is no need to install two Veeam B&R servers.
toga wrote:I just need two Accelerator in SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM console ? and for SRV-MAIN-VEEAM nothing?
Yes. Actually, there is no need to have SRV-MAIN-VEEAM machine in your scenario.
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

I have two physical servers :

1 : One Windows Server 2008 R2 with veeam 7.0 at our main site (let’s call it SRV-MAIN-VEEAM)
2 : One vSphere ESXi 5.0 with one VM (File server) and one VM (Veeam 7.0 server) at remote site. (SRV-BRANCH-HOST with SRV-BRANCH-FILES, SRV-BRANCH-VEEAM)

SRV-BRANCH-HOST has no vCenter (no cluster, just a standalone VMWare server).

My 2 sites are not linked by VPN. They have their own ISPs.

My goal : starting from SRV-MAIN-VEEAM, backup SRV-BRANCH-FILES.
I'm confused.. My scenario at the beginning was false? I have installed Veeam B&R server in the first server and Veeam B&R server in second server.
To be able to transfer backup files from one site to another you need 1 Veeam B&R server and 2 WAN accelerators. There is no need to install two Veeam B&R servers.
I understand but this is a simple scenario, in reality i have 3 remote site and i want to backup remote site to main site. So i have just install Veeam B&R server in main site?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Generally, you need just a single Veeam B&R management server to handle all your backup jobs. All activity in your sites is performed by the proxy/repository/WAN accelerator servers that do not have to be separate Veeam B&R instances, but rather ordinary Windows servers added to that Veeam B&R console and assigned the corresponding roles. Hope this clears the picture.
toga
Novice

Post by toga »

So i have one server in main site with Veeam B&R server.

I want to backup the remote site with ESXi 5.0 (include VMs).

My question is : Can I add one proxy and one Wan Accelerator (without Veeam B&R server installed) in remote site?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, of course. The role of Wan Accelerator, as well as, proxy server can be assigned to any Windows-based machine that you have/can reach at your environment. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Toga, if you need an assistance with setting everything up or have any further questions about product architecture, be aware that you can always contact our system engineers team through your sales rep to discuss everything you want.