Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Michael_6835
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Harris

Veeam 8.0 Migration Question

Post by Michael_6835 »

Greeting Everyone,

I have a migration question scenario that I would like to run past the community. I'm currently on Veeam BR 6.5 and in the process of migrating to a new infrastructure. The new infrastructures consists of new servers, new san, upgraded VMware (4.1 to 5.5)

Question 1 - Does Veeam 8.0 now have the ability to write directly to the SAN on restores ? In performing a test migration with the quick migration tool, I observed the screen shot on the veeam server read Target (San) and Source (NBD). So it made me think that restores were now available. (Keep in mind, I'm coming from 6.5)

The new Veeam server is a physical server that is connected to the new SAN via SAS, the old SAN was iScsi (Old Veeam Server connected via iSCSI).
So I am wondering, if I take my new Veeam Server and add the old SAN via iSCSI will I be able to perform my migrations outside of the network?
Basically, Server reads from iscsi san (old) and writes to new san (SAS) ? That would be awesome.

Question 2 - I have a SQL Server and a Domain Controller that needs migrating. From my reading, I understand that these two servers would not be good candidates for quick migration. So in this case, would I be better served, if I handled this as a replication job from the one environment to the next. This way I can take advantage of application aware processing? If so it leads me to my 3rd question.

Question 3 - My Old (Existing) Veeam server will be decommissioned and rather than migrating old configs, I decided to start with a clean Veeam Build as a way to force myself into recreating the jobs. On the Old Veeam Server, I had another server 2nd server acting as Proxy and a repository.
The question is, Can I have 2 Veeam Server instances look at the same repository? For example, I wish to point the new Veeam Server to the existing repository, so that I can have the backup files imported into the new Veeam Console. this would allow me to seed my backups and/or replications from the existing backup files. However, I believe that once I import the backup files into new Console, I would immediately have to stop using or at least disable jobs on old console, right? Basically, I'm thinking when that happens the new console has to begin acting as the backup server and the old one is essentially done with.

Thanks for the point in the right direction.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 8.0 Migration Question

Post by foggy »

Michael_6835 wrote:Question 1 - Does Veeam 8.0 now have the ability to write directly to the SAN on restores ? In performing a test migration with the quick migration tool, I observed the screen shot on the veeam server read Target (San) and Source (NBD). So it made me think that restores were now available. (Keep in mind, I'm coming from 6.5)
Yes, direct SAN restore is available with v8.
Michael_6835 wrote:Question 2 - I have a SQL Server and a Domain Controller that needs migrating. From my reading, I understand that these two servers would not be good candidates for quick migration. So in this case, would I be better served, if I handled this as a replication job from the one environment to the next. This way I can take advantage of application aware processing? If so it leads me to my 3rd question.
Correct, replication jobs are recommended in this case. Btw, here's a good thread regarding migration of datacenters, worth reviewing.
Michael_6835 wrote:Question 3 - My Old (Existing) Veeam server will be decommissioned and rather than migrating old configs, I decided to start with a clean Veeam Build as a way to force myself into recreating the jobs. On the Old Veeam Server, I had another server 2nd server acting as Proxy and a repository.
The question is, Can I have 2 Veeam Server instances look at the same repository?
Once you add the repository into the new Veeam B&R installation, Veeam B&R components running there will be upgraded and the old Veeam B&R instance will not be able to communicate with it anymore.