Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KevinK
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Kevin Kissack

Veeam 8 possible CBT affecting issues

Post by KevinK »

Since moving to Veeam 8 (and Patch 1 consecutively) 3 of our largest file servers have had CBT problems, spread over two different sites.

The first one was an incremental that failed last Wednesday with the following error;

Code: Select all

Error: Transmission pipeline hanged, aborting process. ChannelError: ConnectionReset 
At the time all other backups going through that Veeam server appeared to be servered;

Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to write data to the file [\\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXX_Daily2015-01-05T180105.vbk]. Failed to download disk. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. 
Afterewards I was unable to consolidate the file server and VMware pinpointed this down to a file lock. Restarted the management agents on the host allowed me to consolidate the VM.

I performed a retry and the same thing happened.

To rule out the incremental, I created a new backup job and performed a full. This was successful.

Performing a full on the datastore job will had previously failed also worked, and the next incremental was successful too.

Yesterday a similar issue affected two file servers in another site, both hosted on two separate datastores.

Processing xxxxxfs04 Error: The specified network name is no longer available. Failed to write data to the file [\\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXX_Daily\XXXXXXXX_Daily2015-01-12T190132.vbk]. Failed to download disk. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. 
I have now kicked of a full backup to attempt to clear the issue.

Both Veeam backup servers are physical with fibre to the SAN and 10Gbps fibre network.
The Data Domain destinations are also on 10Gbps fibre.
We are confident that there were no network issues at the time of these events.
The file servers are 6TB+ each with multiple vDisks.

Anyone else experienced similar?

Cheers

KK
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 8 possible CBT issues

Post by foggy »

Why do you consider this is related to CBT? Have you contacted support already?
KevinK
Enthusiast

Re: Veeam 8 possible CBT issues

Post by KevinK »

Sorry I should have said CBT affecting - as I've managed to self resolve the issue, I thought I'd comment on here in case others were having the same problem.

If it happens again, I'll raise a support ticket.
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Veeam 8 possible CBT affecting issues

Post by foggy »

Make also sure to update the thread with the ticket ID in this case, for further reference. Thanks.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK » 1 person likes this post

Case #00730062
bretesq
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bret Esquivel

Post by bretesq »

Please update this as you receive support from Veeam. We are experiencing the same exact issue as well. Thanks!
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

Veeam asked me to do the following, but never provided a reason.

Backup Infrastructure -> Microsoft Windows -> Find repository server for this job -> Properties -> Credentials -> Ports -> Choose "Run server on this side"

I applied the setting and it made no difference. We're seeing sporadic issues propagating over our two biggest sites now - both have physical backup servers with dual fibre connections to the SAN and Network.

I'd like to see this escalated as the large file servers which can take over 10 hours to backup are being missed.

Again this was faultless till V8.
jabroni
Novice
Liked: never

Post by jabroni »

KevinK wrote:Again this was faultless till V8.
I have also been seemingly randomly having the same problem since V8

2015-01-19 21:02:45 :: Processing XXXXX Error: The specified network name is no longer available.
Failed to write data to the file [\\XXXXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Tier 1 VM Backup2015-01-19T210127.vib].
Failed to download disk.
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

KevinK wrote:Veeam asked me to do the following, but never provided a reason.

Backup Infrastructure -> Microsoft Windows -> Find repository server for this job -> Properties -> Credentials -> Ports -> Choose "Run server on this side"
I'm assuming this might be relevant because you are using a Windows SMB share for the backup repo correct?

In my case we are using a NetApp 8.2.2P1 7-Mode CIFS share as the backup repo target.

I cannot reproduce the error consistently and it seems to occur at random. There are no errors in the Veeam (or proxy) server event log nor on the Netapp or on the switch logs.

Not sure that it's relevant but we are using a 4x1GBps link agg for our networking.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

Veeam asked me to do the following;
create the DataMoverLocalFastPath (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, and set it to the following value: 2
From the patch 1 notes
Performance enhancements
Added experimental support for direct data movers communication when both are running on the same server (for example, when backing up to a local storage on backup proxy server). If your local backup jobs report Network as the bottleneck, and you see high load on some backup proxy server NICs when the data was supposed to stay local to the server, your jobs performance is likely to benefit from this behavior modifier. To enable alternative data exchange path, create the DataMoverLocalFastPath (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, and set it to the following values:
0: Default behavior (no optimizations)
1: Data exchange through TCP socket on the loopback interface (faster)
2: Data exchange through shared memory (fastest)
Since doing so the throughput of the backup server has increased and remained stable, hovering around 500MB/s (@70% CPU) at the Data Domain [below]

The reported bottleneck has now moved to source rather than network.

I'll let you know if its improved the backup reliability.
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I suddenly have this issue after upgrading from Veeam 7 to Veeam 8 Patch 1. Here's the full details of my setup and issues and what I have tried.

http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... ml#p133856

I tried what KevinK suggests:
Created DataMoverLocalFastPath (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, and set it to the following value: 2

I did this on both the repository and proxy servers, and it did help. The backup job wrote 46% of the disk, then it failed. Before, it was only writing a GB or two.

I'm dead in the water.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

On the performance front the good new continues in a second site. I've activated full backups on all the jobs that failed and I'm seeing similar results - 500+MB/s @85% CPU on the DD.

No failures yet. Perhaps this is masking an issue :)
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

All jobs have now failed for that site. Veeam backup server is physical.

Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to write data to the file [\\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx13_Daily2015-01-20T185000.vbk]. Failed to download disk. 

20/01/2015 22:44:13 :: Error: An unexpected network error occurred.
Failed to write data to the file [\\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxx_Daily2015-01-20T185000.vbk].
Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [veeamfs:0:2039bbaa-43db-4f1d-a950-5f73189fcce2 (vm-92223)\summary.xml@\\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_Daily2015-01-20T185000.vbkVBK: 'veeamfs:0:2039bbaa-43db-4f1d-a950-5f73189fcce2 (vm-92223)\summary.xml@\\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxStore13_Dail 
I don't think this is an issue with the Data Domain as Jabroni uses Netapp.
bretesq
Service Provider
Full Name: Bret Esquivel

Post by bretesq »

We are using a Data Domain as the target; Not having this issue on any other client servers running Veeam 8 Patch 1, just the one with the DD610 as a target.

It is sporadic on which VMs fail, some will work on a retry, while others never work. Same error "ChannelError: ConnectionReset". Is there a supported way to downgrade from patch 1? We need to get these backups rolling again.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

EMC couldn't find any issues on the Data Domain, so it's back with Veeam support.

We're missing business critical backups for primary file servers at the moment.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK » 2 people like this post

Today with Veeam we disabled the IP4 Checksum offload on the 10Gbps NICs. Also on one of the servers/sites we retried a constantly failing job at the same time as using a Veeam supplied pftest.exe to write high amounts of data to the Data Domain.

All todays jobs and the remaining failed job complete successfully, even with the fptest.exe hammering the DD with 100MB/s traffic.

I will monitor over the next few days - perhaps the offload settings helped or it was a fluke. Stay tuned!
SGalbincea
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

Post by SGalbincea »

I am in a similar boat here. Ticket# 00713193

The setup:

VMware vSphere 5.5U2b Virtual Environment
2x Nimble CS460's via Brocade VDX 6740s
1x Veeam B&R Virtual Server
2x Physical Veeam Proxies, one 2008R2 and one 2012R2 (SAN Direct) each with 2x 10Gb LAN, 2x 10Gb SAN connectivity
1x DataDomain DD2500 w/DDBoost (2 repo's configured with each proxy as a GW for each repo)

I am having issues with larger servers. The backups will run for some time, and then fail with the following message:

"1/25/2015 10:25:28 PM :: Processing AMHOUGEO01 Error: Thread not finished within [1800000] milliseconds.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}."

I can't see any reason at all why the data flows would time out - the environment is very much over-spec'd for this application. I cannot find any clues in the logs anywhere as to what is happening. I have disabled parallel processing with some degree of success, but it is simply not practical to do so with our data amounts (30+TB nightly).

I have tried the suggestions here with regards to disabling IP4 offload and the reg key, so I have tried those and will report back what happens there.
Senior Solutions Engineer, SLED - VMware
Codea
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tony Velarde

Post by Codea »

You probably have already checked this but I'll mention it any way, check that the time on all your servers and sites are synchronised. We've had similar issues and found that to be a common cause of our connections closing.
SGalbincea
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

Post by SGalbincea »

Quick update: job is still running (12.5TB of 30TB), which gives me some hope. Only changes made were to disable IPv4 Offload on all 10Gb NICs in the proxy servers. I have not tried the registry key fix as of yet.
Senior Solutions Engineer, SLED - VMware
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK » 3 people like this post

Below is a list of the changes implemented so far;

From Veeam
Create the DataMoverLocalFastPath (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, and set it to the following value: 2
This will use shared memory instead of the loopback NIC to transfer the data between the agents.
Create the SESSTIMEOUT (DWORD) registry value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\ LANMANWORKSTATION\PARAMETERS\ and set the value in decimal: 60000
Set target repositories to use Data Domain Local accounts instead of Domain accounts.
Set target repositories to use IP addressing instead of DNS.
>>> Site 1 backups now work <<<
Disable TCP checksum offload on Veeam Backup server 10GBps NICs.
From EMC
Increase the CIFS request timeout on the client (Windows 2008 and Windows 2012 server) by changing the registry parameters under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters.
• Set the registry parameter ExtendedSessTimeout to 3600 seconds. If the parameter is not present, add it with type REG_DWORD.
• Set the registry parameter ServersWithExtendedSessTimeout to the list of one or more Data Domain servers, where each server is either an IP address or a name of the Data Domain system. If the client uses different names or uses both IP address and name for a given Data Domain system, all of them must be included here. If the parameter is not present, add it with type REG_ MULT_SZ.
Tune the Data Domain CIFS
1) # cifs option set “socket options" "TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=3146268 SO_SNDBUF=3146268 IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_KEEPALIVE"
This command sets CIFS socket receive/send buffer sizes to 3MB. The default value for this is 1MB
2) # cifs option set maxlogsize 204800
This command sets the CIFS client log file sizes to 200MB. The default size is only 50MB.
3) # cifs option set "dd aio count" 32
This parameter sets the number of pending I/O requests between CIFS server and DD File System.
From Veeam
• Create the NetUseShareAccess (DWORD) registry value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\ and set the value in to 1
This will use the Windows wrapper for traffic to the CIFS share.
>>> Site 2 backups now work <<<

We removed the NetUseShareAccess setting to troubleshoot with EMC the write issues to the DD CIFS share, but magically it started working without that setting.

I've asked Veeam and EMC to close the tickets with a summary of the changes complete thus far, however we we're still unable to pinpoint the issue.

I suggest anyone experiencing similar issues raises a ticket before applying the modifications I've listed above, that way Veeam can correlate the information for a better overview of customers affected. At the moment I feel like Veeam think I'm the only person with these issues :)
jabroni
Novice

Post by jabroni »

Have you tried running a restore? I have the same network errors during backup and now that I actually have to restore some files I get the same network errors every single time I attempt an Instant Recover, VM Recover or a VM Files Recover.

Error when attempting Instant VM Recovery:

2015-02-04 12:41:32          Starting VM XXX recovery
2015-02-04 12:42:27          Connecting to host XXX
2015-02-04 12:42:49          Checking if vPower NFS datastore is mounted on host
2015-02-04 12:42:49          Locking backup file
2015-02-04 12:47:23 Error    Publishing VM
                             The specified network name is no longer available.
                             Failed to read data from the file [\\XXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Tier 1 VM Backup2015-01-19T210127.vib].
                             Cannot process [restore] command.

2015-02-04 12:47:23          Canceling backup file lock
2015-02-04 12:47:23 Error    Failed to publish VM XXX Error: The specified network name is no longer available.
                             Failed to read data from the file [\\XXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Tier 1 VM Backup2015-01-19T210127.vib].
                             Cannot process [restore] command.

Error when attempting full VM restore:

2015-02-04 12:56:48          Starting restore job
2015-02-04 12:56:48          Locking required backup files
2015-02-04 12:57:58          Queued for processing at 04/02/2015 12:57:58 PM
2015-02-04 12:58:03          Preparing next VM for processing
2015-02-04 12:58:02          Required backup infrastructure resources have been assigned
2015-02-04 12:58:03          Using source proxy XXX [hotadd]
2015-02-04 12:59:18          9 files to restore (42.0 GB)
2015-02-04 13:05:02 Error    Restoring [XXX] XXX.vmx
                             The specified network name is no longer available.
                             Failed to read data from the file [\\XXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Tier 1 VM Backup2015-01-28T200319.vib].
                             Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [XXX.vmx]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{387d0f21-ee00-4fea-9cfa-73c49b2743d9}]. CHMOD mask: [0].
                             Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.

2015-02-04 13:05:02 Error    Restore job failed Error: The specified network name is no longer available.
                             Failed to read data from the file [\\XXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Tier 1 VM Backup2015-01-28T200319.vib].
                             Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [XXX.vmx]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{387d0f21-ee00-4fea-9cfa-73c49b2743d9}]. CHMOD mask: [0].
                             Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer

Error when attempting VM File Restore:

2015-02-04 13:09:31          VM files restore started
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX.vmx Error: The specified network name is no longer available.
                             Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0].
                             Unable to receive file.
                             Exception from server: The specified network name is no longer available.
                             Failed to read data from the file [\\XXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Ti
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX.vmxf Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX.nvram Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX_1.vmdk Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX_1-flat.vmdk Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX_2.vmdk Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX_2-flat.vmdk Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX.vmdk Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:28 Error    Failed to restore file: XXX-flat.vmdk Error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2015-02-04 13:15:30          VM files restore completed
I opened a case regarding the restore though I highly suspect the (intermittent) issue when the backup is running has the same root cause as the issue I'm having with a restore.

Veeam case ID: 00743859
jabroni
Novice

Post by jabroni »

Alright I think I've found the root cause of the issue with our CIFS backup target.

2015-02-17 03:10:12 :: Processing XXXXXX Error: The specified network name is no longer available.
Failed to write data to the file [\\XXXXXX\vol_VeeamBackup\backups\Tier 1 VM Backup\Tier 1 VM Backup2015-02-16T200259.vib].
Failed to download disk.
Failed to upload disk.
Type errors as well as errors with VM recovery like:

2015-02-05 18:08:53          Starting VM XXXXXX Restore Test recovery
2015-02-05 18:09:41          Connecting to host XXXXXX
2015-02-05 18:10:08          Checking if vPower NFS datastore is mounted on host
2015-02-05 18:10:08          Locking backup file
2015-02-05 18:40:11 Error    Publishing VM
                             A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
2015-02-05 18:40:11          Canceling backup file lock
2015-02-05 18:40:11 Error    Failed to publish VM XXXXXX Restore Test Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Both issues seem to have been resolved by upgrading my NetApp OnTap version to 8.2.3P1 which has a fix for:

Bug ID	798842
Title	Service disruption caused by issue related to SMB 2.1 leasing
I guess V8 uses SMB2.1 but V7 didn't?

If the backups all complete successfully tonight without this issue occurring and it doesn't happen the next cycle, I'll consider it resolved. So far my tests have been successful, though I want to see this error not come up on a few other jobs for a couple of days too.
connelp
Influencer

Post by connelp »

Interesting. I am getting exactly the same problem on my file server (around 1TB).

Last week (the first set up full backups following the upgrade from 7 to 8 ) the backup failed twice but worked on the third attempt.

I have opened a case (00819540) so will see what happens.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

The fix for us was to increase the memory allocation on the physical backup servers or reduce the stream count each could handle. I suspect your retry is completing when other jobs have finished and memory is lower.

This must be something to do with v8 - we used to run 16 streams on a 16GB-RAM machine without issue. Apparently the new Veeam documentation states you should have 2GB/stream available.

According to a post on LinkedIn I'm not the only one who is under this impression;
jabroni
Novice

Post by jabroni »

Once I sorted out the issues with our NetApp backup target, I ran into the same issue of needing to double my RAM allocations on my backup proxies (16GB Veeam server and 8GB proxies) as we did have a couple of jobs fail to to insufficient resources. CPU use doesn't seem to be any different.
jgq85
Influencer
Full Name: JGQ85

Post by jgq85 »

We're getting the error:

9/29/2015 2:07:28 AM :: Processing Mail9 Error: calling system(), returns nonzero. Err: 5040
Failed to write data to the file '[hqdd2200] DDBoost:/Mail9/Mail92015-09-29T020712.vbk ( 2049626114 )'. Offset: '1131770236928'.
Failed to download disk.
Shared memory connection was closed.
Failed to upload disk.
Is the fix supposed to be in the Windows server, or on the datadomain? I don't understand.

It seems to be happening on only one of our servers, which is the most critical, heh.
It's a full backup, ran for like 16 hours before failing at that error.
In the job one hard disk had a red x next to it, but no details on what (just a red x + "9/29/2015 2:10:50 AM :: Hard disk 5 (1000.0 GB) 1000.0 GB read at 17 MB/s [CBT]") I still have Veeam trying to look into logs but we're not getting anywhere.
amitrahat
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Amit Rahat

Post by amitrahat » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I've had the same issue and found that the guests failed to be backed up reside on a datastore to which the host, on which the Veeam VM is running, does not have direct access.
Once I moved the Veeam VM to a VMware host connected directly to that datastore - issues were resolved.

Further explanation:
Veeam is running on VMware Host A
VMware host A is directly connected to datastore1
Veeam is failing to backup guest1 running on VMware Host B and residing on datastore2
VMware Host B is directly connected to datastore1 and datastore2
Once Veeam was moved to VMware Host B issue was resolved

Best Regards,

Amit
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I had the same error:

Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3417].
Failed to download disk.
Failed to upload disk.

error, very intermittent on some jobs but happing every time on one VM in One job.
On the Veeam server I did the Change Both TCP/UDP Checksum Offload to disable per page one of post.

Job ran successfully for the first time, second and third time. Now will wait and see.

My setup is 10Gig copper, ESX6 Veeam 8 NetApp SAN, reading data at 400ms
tommy_p
Veeam ProPartner

Post by tommy_p »

I had those problems too. After disabling TCP checksum offload, the problem was solved. Thank you! :D
johndrago
Lurker
Full Name: John Drago

Post by johndrago »

Where can I find the TCP checksum offload setting?

Thanks,

John
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi John, it's in the network adapter properties.