Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Veeam and guest processing in a segmentet network

Post by spiritie »

Hi Veeam Forums

I have a tricky scenario that we are starting to run into in our environment. As our network has grown and we are adopting new customers
who already have subnets that we have in our environment, we split them into different contexts in the firewall so that we can have the
same subnets running in the environment but on different VLANS.

How do we get guest processing working in these type of scenarios. At first I though that we could simply NAT the duplicated subnets so
that our VBR/Interaction proxy could reach them, but Veeam will just pull the IP through vCenter from VMware tools so that would not work.

Should this be solved through multiple guest interaction proxies, which is assigned to each backup job so it can reach their respective subnets in those firewall contexts?

Anyone else faced with this, and how did you solve it?

Regards.
Gert
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam and guest processing in a segmentet network

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, I would place Guest Interaction Proxies st each of the subnets. One network leg in the customer network and one leg in the Veeam network. Select the GIP in the job.

Use one Repository per customer (subfolder) and select the above server as mount server for other restores.
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

Andreas Neufert wrote:Yes, I would place Guest Interaction Proxies st each of the subnets. One network leg in the customer network and one leg in the Veeam network. Select the GIP in the job.

Use one Repository per customer (subfolder) and select the above server as mount server for other restores.
I've configured this and it works for normal application-areness with truncating logs and so on. But I cannot get SQL backup working with transaction log backup, because the SQL servers seems to be connecting directly to the Veeam repo's and not through the GIP. Is it intended design by the SQL backup not to connect through the GIP on it's way back, but directly to the REPO's?

19-03-2018 09:29:12 :: Failed to save SQL Server transaction log backup file for database <DB_Name> to repository Failed to connect to server '<backup_server_repo>', addrs '[IP:<IP> port:2501];[IP:<backup_server_repo>, port:2501]'
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

As I said you need to place the mount server as well on the system that can connect to both sides.