Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
OtmaneBouayad
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Otmane Bouayad

Veeam and RDX removebale disks

Post by OtmaneBouayad »

Hello,

Actually using windows server backup for some of our servers to RDX removebale disk. I heared about veeam free edition. Today I a solicitation for Veeam experts for help to run this solution with rdx drives.

I have an HP server with RDX drive connected with a sata cable. the Server is running ESXI 6, not memeber of vcenter and running multiple VMs. The end result we seek is make backups of the server's vm to that rdx disk directly connected to the server. I'm confused about how to implement this solution : make the rdx drive a datastore and create the veeam repository in it or use some veeam magic to allow backups to that rdx drive.

One more question, does Veeam free edition will allow e to rotate disk ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Veeam and RDX removebale disks

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi and welcome to the community!
I'm confused about how to implement this solution : make the rdx drive a datastore and create the veeam repository in it or use some veeam magic to allow backups to that rdx drive
You can present the RDX drive to the VM that hosts Veeam Backup and Replication and use it as a storage for backups.
One more question, does Veeam free edition will allow e to rotate disk ?
Rotating disks is a setting of repository, Free edition does not allow you to configure repositories.

Thanks
OtmaneBouayad
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Otmane Bouayad

Post by OtmaneBouayad »

Thank you so much PTide,

I'm good with the solution you suggested: presenting the rdx to the vm server backup. I need some extra details please, what if the rdx disk is full ? Will I be able to take it out of the drive and add a new rdx disk and continue my backups ? and when i need a backup from the old rdx disk I can use it ? if the veeam server fail, the data in the rdx disk can be used with new servere ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Will I be able to take it out of the drive and add a new rdx disk and continue my backups ?
Yes. With free edition there is no need to use rotated media as Veeam Backup & Replication Free does not provide neither incremental backups nor scheduled backup functionality. Please check this blogpost to learn how to automate backups in Free edition.
and when i need a backup from the old rdx disk I can use it ?
Yes, you'll be able to restore from it.
if the veeam server fail, the data in the rdx disk can be used with new servere ?
Right, you'll just need to import the backups onto the new server.

Thanks