Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
cuwcd
Lurker
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: John Coker

Re: Veeam and VMware 6.7

Post by cuwcd » Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm 9 people like this post

I am still kind of new to Veeam Software. I do love Veeam and what it can do and how it works Great.

I have been an administrator for over 25 years, and let me tell you that you should always check for compatibility with 3rd party vendors before doing upgrades!!! Don't blame Veeam for your mistake.

Also I am anxious for the update to Veeam to work with VMware 6.7 because having to use flash with vSphere Center Server for some functions SUCKS, but let me tell you that if you were using other vendors other than Veeam you would be waiting much longer than 2 months or so.

I have worked with 3 or 4 other backup vendors in the past and you would be lucky to get an update within 6 months.

The other thing with Veeam that I have found is that when the update comes out rest assured that you know it is going to work.

Thank you Veeam for a Great product and keep up the good work.

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2890 times

Post by Gostev » Jun 08, 2018 4:16 pm 6 people like this post

Thank you for your kind words, John.

To provide everyone with an update, we're expecting to have the first RC build of Update 3a created today. Which means we're about 10-15 days away from RTM build. So it seems we're still on track to make our 2 months average for new platforms support.

zimeon
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by zimeon » Jun 09, 2018 7:13 am

Great news :) Always good to have some kind of estimate, even if it might change. Got a few customers who we are planning to upgrade their vSphere environments and have been waiting for the VEEAM update to get started with them. Would also like to thank for a superb product to work with! Been updating my dev close to day one, but then again it's just my own website and some game servers there so it's not that important.

tmessinis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Theo Messinis

Post by tmessinis » Jun 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Any update on the release date?
We are busy implementing a new Vsphere infrastructure for a new client and want to go live by next week if possible.

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

I posted the current estimates just 1 post above yours.

jamerson
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson » Jun 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Gostev,
Thank you for your hard work on the update.
a big thank you to the team who was working hard on this.

DonZoomik
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times

Post by DonZoomik » Jun 18, 2018 7:41 am

Gostev wrote:Thank you for your kind words, John.

To provide everyone with an update, we're expecting to have the first RC build of Update 3a created today. Which means we're about 10-15 days away from RTM build. So it seems we're still on track to make our 2 months average for new platforms support.
It's been 10 days, how are things going? :)

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Jun 18, 2018 9:28 am

So far so good, expecting to ship this week.

omf
Novice
Full Name: Oscar Fowler

Post by omf » Jun 18, 2018 5:57 pm 1 person likes this post

I've skimmed through the thread, and appreciate both Gostev's responses and the frustration from the customer level. Several users have made very good, thorough points on the perspective of the latter. All I'll add is this: there's no reason Veeam should not be making it perfectly clear on the download page that Veeam does not currently support the latest version(s) of VMware. You shouldn't have to dig through anywhere else to learn this - it should be right there in bold text. Especially weeks after that latest version was released. There's no excuse for this, and it's a disservice to both existing and, especially, new customers that you don't.

Other than that... I look forward to the pending update...

SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

Post by SKratzTS » Jun 18, 2018 6:50 pm

After the relatively poor track record of VMWare botching CBT and other under-the-hood features, I look to Veeam to provide VMWare with a "It's now ready for production" statement. Burned once, won't get burned again.

James.Williams
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: James Williams

Post by James.Williams » Jun 18, 2018 7:22 pm 2 people like this post

omf: At the enterprise level you cannot assume something is supported. Veeam is a business critical server application, not desktop software. I fully expect there to be some lag time between a major feature release of an OS and the business-critical server applications supporting it. I'd love for Veeam to release software that is fully tested and production ready the same day that VMWare has a new release. And of course, Veeam has access to the beta releases of VMWare software and starts working on supporting it before it comes out. However, Veeam (and many other server software vendors) typically wait until the final product comes out to do their production-ready validation tests since there are typically some differences between the RC versions and final production versions. Veeam needs to do a full validation run through, write KB articles, and be fully prepared to support the newest version of VMWare with a new software release before its released to the public. In an enterprise environment, you typically will not deploy a new major software release right away, because of this. Most large environments i've seen wait 6-12 months after a major release to start implementation, it doesn't matter if its VMWare, Windows Server, Red Hat, Debian, etc...

James.Williams
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: James Williams

Post by James.Williams » Jun 18, 2018 7:23 pm

omf
Novice
Full Name: Oscar Fowler

Post by omf » Jun 19, 2018 6:01 pm

James.Williams wrote:omf: At the enterprise level you cannot assume something is supported.
I don't understand why people keep restating this, even though there are a good number of users who have clearly been affected by the situation. Whatever "enterprise best practices" an organization may or may not follow, the fact of the matter remains that Veeam will have some customers who find themselves with this problem. All several of us have been saying is that it would help reduce the number of these incidents by simply adding a note on the download page saying that Veeam does not yet support the current releases of VMware. Repeating what "enterprise best practices" are helps no one, while a simple one-line note would help *everyone*

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Oscar, can you clarify your idea please? Why would our existing users go to the product download page at all?

IndyTech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aeron Barhorst

Post by IndyTech » Jun 19, 2018 10:46 pm

"I don't understand why people keep restating this, even though there are a good number of users who have clearly been affected by the situation"

What other response are you expecting? I hate to be so blunt, but if you have even a minimal level of experience working with server software or working in the IT industry in general, you would never have put yourself in this position in the first place. If you can't grasp the importance of testing software compatibility before deploying new software onto a server, then you should not be working on servers. Putting warnings on the Veeam website stating the obvious would be a pointless move.