Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MOBO
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Morten Boegeskov

Re: Veeam and VMware 6.7

Post by MOBO » 1 person likes this post

omf wrote:simply adding a note on the download page saying that Veeam does not yet support the current releases of VMware
well you would need to put it on vmware's download page , because the people who upgraded to 6.7 clearly didn't read what versions veeam support on veeams
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

Gostev wrote:So far so good, expecting to ship this week.
Will RTM be posted publicly this week or held back for some closed beta (request from support)?
I have a new from-scratch VMware deployment next week and I've been planning to use 6.7 (with 6.5U1 as plan B if timing doesn't work out).
michelecreston
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michele Creston

Post by michelecreston »

Hi,

I opened a ticket with veeam support asking if it was possible to have a 3a patch BETA for compatibility with vSphere 6.7. they told me to ask here, it's urgent, I have to go into production in a few days

TKS
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

@DonZoomik, the answer to this was covered in the weekly forum digest a couple of weeks ago. Here's the corresponding snippet:
Gostev wrote:Once RTM happens, the following 1-2 weeks we will be doing pilot deployments, as per our standard release process – with our support engineers reaching out to customers with support cases open on issues fixed in the update. This lets us track everyone who received the RTM build for an unlikely event of its recall due to the discovery of a major regression. I will announce the RTM build availability both here and on the forum, so that anyone else who wants to participate in the pilot could reach out to our support for the build.
@Michele, we don't support beta for production use, so you will have to wait for the RTM build. Not to mention we don't do betas for updates in any case. Luckily, Update 3a should be shipped any minute now.
dohlin
Lurker

Post by dohlin »

@Gostev,

Thanks for the information and your patient responses throughout this whole thread, I know myself and many others appreciate it.

Regarding the RTM build and support, is there any possible way those of us with 6.7 homelab setups can obtain the RTM build? I wasn't under the impression that NFR keys had support and obviously I'm asking with an understanding that no support would be given in the event the RTM build was recalled. Does that request make sense? Thanks!
omf
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Oscar Fowler

Post by omf »

Gostev wrote:Oscar, can you clarify your idea please? Why would our existing users go to the product download page at all?
Gostev - it seems reasonable to have a note on either the product download pages or the product updates pages - e.g.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2353
or
https://www.veeam.com/backup-replicatio ... nload.html

Noting something to the effect that the latest builds of VMware are not yet supported.
On the second example link above you already have a note making it clear that the free edition of ESXi is not supported. Why not add a note there?
ONE IT Service
Novice
Full Name: Christophe C.

Post by ONE IT Service »

Minutes s s ssssssssss :roll: :mrgreen:
Lee Padovani
Lurker
Full Name: Lee Ryan

Post by Lee Padovani »

My eyes are like this, waiting for the update. :shock:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

ONE IT Service wrote:Minutes s s ssssssssss :roll: :mrgreen:
It WAS actually shipped minutes after I posted last night :D now, it's in the hands of our web team as they need to prepare downloads for our support engineers to use during the pilot phase. This takes time, but the bits should become Hyper-Available later today :wink: I will let everyone here know once that happens.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

dohlin wrote:Regarding the RTM build and support, is there any possible way those of us with 6.7 homelab setups can obtain the RTM build?
Unfortunately, no. We limit participation in the pilot stage to paying customers with maintenance agreements in force, since we want to control the load on our customer support to be able to provide those early adopters our swift assistance. I hope this is an understandable decision on our part...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 5 people like this post

I've been informed that our Customer Support is now in possession of the RTM bits. They will start gradually reaching out to all customer with support cases open on any issue that Update 3a fixes. If you are not one of them, but would like to participate in the pilot deployments stage due to the urgent need of vSphere 6.7 support - feel free to open a support case requesting the bits. Thank you!
henrik@servite.no
Lurker
Full Name: Henrik Bryne

Post by henrik@servite.no »

Installing as I write this. Crossing fingers, and will update you on my findings. We tried the Virtual Appliance tricks, with mixed results. Hope for a happy afternoon :-)
bcannell
Service Provider
Full Name: Ben Cannell

Post by bcannell »

does this update require cloud connect to be updated first?
or will it still connect to an update 3 CC service
mikehen08
Novice
Full Name: Michael Henry

Post by mikehen08 » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:I've been informed that our Customer Support is now in possession of the RTM bits. They will start gradually reaching out to all customer with support cases open on any issue that Update 3a fixes. If you are not one of them, but would like to participate in the pilot deployments stage due to the urgent need of vSphere 6.7 support - feel free to open a support case requesting the bits. Thank you!
Gostev, thank you so much for your hard work and communication with this release! Kudos to the entire team for the timely release.

Cheers!
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

bcannell wrote:does this update require cloud connect to be updated first?
or will it still connect to an update 3 CC service
No, Update 3a is what we call a "non-breaking release" - so there's no need for VCSP to update their Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure first. You will get the official ecard from Veeam early next week explaining this, and providing a link to the bits.

By the way, barring any issues we will send the RTM bits to ALL Veeam Partners (both VCSP and Resellers) early next week, so unless you're in a rush to get the bits this instant - you can skip contacting support and instead reward yourself with a relaxing summer weekend outside of your test lab. And then get into the action next week!
IDOF
Lurker

Post by IDOF »

Gostev wrote:By the way, barring any issues we will send the RTM bits to ALL Veeam Partners (both VCSP and Resellers) early next week, so unless you're in a rush to get the bits this instant - you can skip contacting support and instead reward yourself with a relaxing summer weekend outside of your test lab. And then get into the action next week!
Does this also mean your site (https://www.veeam.com/backup-replicatio ... nload.html) will be update with a download link early next week?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, this only happens once GA (General Availability) stage is reached. For that one, the date is not set yet, as it depends on the pilot deployments stage results. However, based on typical time frames, this won't happen this month for sure.
121x
Influencer

Post by 121x »

Gostev,

How can a customer get on the early adopters/pilot program for this particular update. We recently rolled out a fresh build for a new project of 12 servers, all on ESXi 6.7 (requirement) to later find this compatibility issue. We have over 2 dozen VMs that remain unprotected (mainly Linux) in which the guest based agent is not an option for this environment. We would be willing to test/evaluate any current non-GA patches for this problem with the understanding/expectations that come along with non-production code releases. We have been on this train more than once before.

Please let me know.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Any customers who want to be early adopters can just contact our technical support and get the RTM bits immediately.
Also, please note that the RTM code *IS* the production code, so it's fully supported for production use already. Thanks!
Neilo
Novice

Post by Neilo » 1 person likes this post

I find it incredible that people are updating vmware and vcenter to 6.7 with out checking the compatibility of veeam first! Veeam's process hasn't changed in years and always required testing prior to new release and support for new releases of VMware. Poor poor practice's especially if you're an IT pro... Hope nothing happens to those who did update in production, wish you luck. I look forward to the 3a release next month and will be testing on Lab environment first :D
121x
Influencer

Post by 121x »

Neilo,

Not saying that your reply was addressed specifically to me, since there are many others in the same situation. Some may have been avoidable, others potentially not, as in our case. Some publicly funded organizations have strict budgeting and funding approval requirements in which certain expectations drive the decisions made. In this case that is exactly the scenario. Not every long term decision can be made based solely around the compatibility of a single vendor right now today.

So I would caution that not every person you see is solely about some company or administrator wanting to be on the cutting edge or the newest version just for the sake it.
5mall5nail5
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: None

Post by 5mall5nail5 » 1 person likes this post

Another important waiver to consider is that Veeam has, for as long as I have ever used it, just worked. I was able to run Veeam 9.x with no breaks for every 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 migration thus far. It has worked so well that it was just one of those things I forget to check :lol:
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

Do you guys knows when the update will be availble to download ?
we check the page every day and hopefully we will see a new build but nothing yet.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 2 people like this post

Gostev wrote:Any customers who want to be early adopters can just contact our technical support and get the RTM bits immediately.
Also, please note that the RTM code *IS* the production code, so it's fully supported for production use already. Thanks!
mikehen08
Novice
Full Name: Michael Henry

Post by mikehen08 »

Any reported issues with 3a thus far? Just downloaded it so I am curious to see how it is going for everyone

Thanks,
Mike
DooM_2049
Novice
Full Name: Tim die Lokomotive

Post by DooM_2049 »

:-( cant get the update with the nfr licence :-( has no support id... won't use it with the producten system...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

@Michael according to support, all is well so far.

@Tim, yes - I mentioned this already on the previous page. Please wait until the update becomes generally available.

@All I have deleted some recent off-topic posts to clean this thread up - kindly please stay on topic of vSphere 6.7 support. Let's not turn this thread into "all the things about Update 3a" for the convenience of readers who come here to learn about vSphere 6.7 support.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

Regnor
I know that already and it wasnt really my question.
my question "when will it be availble to the public ?"
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

Quick question - apologies if I missed it in this thread.

Wondering if its been stated whether its the upgrade of vCenter / PSC to 6.7 or whether its the ESX hosts upgrades to 6.7 which actually causes a VBR backup to fail (prior to 3a update).

We're looking at scheduling a vCenter upgrade to rectify a couple of other non-Veeam related issues, and so undertaking a risk assessment of various options. And yes I realise we can request 3a update now so is also being considered.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

jamerson wrote:my question "when will it be available to the public ?"
What do you mean by "public", is it "people without active support contract"?
Because it's already available to all Veeam customers on maintenance.