Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lienkristian
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kristian Lien

[SOLVED] Veeam and VMware 6.7

Post by lienkristian » 2 people like this post

Hi, now as vmware has released the 6.7 version. is this supported by Veeam 9.5 u3?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Veeam and VMWare 6.7

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

No, as per Gostev's weekly digest on 26 March this is planned for Update 3a along with support of Windows Server RS4 and vCloud Director 9.1.

Joe
brian.mathis
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian Mathis

Post by brian.mathis » 1 person likes this post

I can confirm.....vCenter 6.7 (haven't upgraded my hosts yet) does NOT work with Veeam 9.5 Update 3. (Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
Let's hope Update 3a becomes available soon.
jweier_elys
Lurker
Full Name: Jay Weier

Post by jweier_elys » 1 person likes this post

Is there a timeline on Update 3a?
planetcoop
Influencer
Full Name: Chris Cooper

Post by planetcoop » 1 person likes this post

Any ETA or beta to try? So far the new feature sets in VMworld 6.7 seem great including the HTML5 interface.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Timeline will depend on when all the platforms this update is going to support (Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, Windows Server 2016 RS4 and vCloud Director 9.1) will come GA.
stagnant
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by stagnant » 1 person likes this post

brian.mathis wrote:I can confirm.....vCenter 6.7 (haven't upgraded my hosts yet) does NOT work with Veeam 9.5 Update 3. (Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
Let's hope Update 3a becomes available soon.
Tested in our lab and same result here. Have not found any workaround yet other than adding 6.5 ESXi hosts directly.
Cory.Zemrock
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Cory Zemrock

Post by Cory.Zemrock »

Passing it on to the masses.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2443
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 » 1 person likes this post

You want to jump on a new VMware release on day 1? Ima give it six months.
Veeaming since 2013
themanto
Lurker
Full Name: Mattia Mantovani

Post by themanto » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

same problem after upgrade vcenter to 6.7. I know that vmware release yesterday the new version, but I hope veeam can give us the workaround...

any suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

themanto wrote:any suggestions?
The only suggestion is to wait for Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 3a (see above).
themanto
Lurker
Full Name: Mattia Mantovani

Post by themanto » 1 person likes this post

but I cannot stay without backup. I don't want to re-install vcenter 6.7....
cgrossman
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Carlo

Post by cgrossman » 1 person likes this post

Oh no! I'm in the same boat. I've actually updated my vCenter and my 7 hosts. I opened a ticket with Veeam, and was told all I can do is try using agents. I guess I should have checked first. It would be nice if Veeam had emailed all of their customers to warn them.
dmayer
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Daniel Mayer

Post by dmayer » 3 people like this post

themanto wrote:but I cannot stay without backup. I don't want to re-install vcenter 6.7....
You can't expect day 1 support for new versions of VMware or Microsoft products from most backup vendors.

I upgraded my VCenter at home to 6.7, but my Veeam is configured to talk to the host which I left at 6.5 for now, I only have one host so no big deal.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Post by Cragdoo » 18 people like this post

for those who have upgraded, are we talking your lab/test/dev environments? Surely no-one was stu... brave enough to upgrade to 6.7 on release day in production????
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

[MERGED] Is Veeam 9.5 U3 compatible with ESXi 6.7.0?

Post by HendersonD »

The title says it all
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, not. Support for 6.7 will be released in the next update. Thanks!
planetcoop
Influencer

Post by planetcoop »

I hate to say it, but i knew this was an issue in the beta back in December. As much as i love Veeam and know not to update in production, i have a lab where i have found Nakivo works. Ironically, VCSA now has a better backup tool fo my lab.This isn't full proof, but i have to give Veeam heck for the delay, on every release.

Veeam support and management, this is my only gripe, the delay for new releases. I understand the logistics of getting it right, for production purposes this is great, but i am testing NOW for later this summer. I cant wait to get 9.5u3a? and resume additional testing.

Please pass this along to management as i certainly understand support, but testing is another opportunity for updates.
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Post by k00laid »

+1 to what @cragdoo said, in no way, shape or form should you ever upgrade vSphere day 1 in prod.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo » 2 people like this post

Rush out an update to cover a GA release = dammed
Don't rush out an update to cover a GA release = dammed

Given the specific requirements for 6.7 I'd be very very surprised if a) anyone is using supported hardware in their labs and b) anyone is ready to roll out 6.7 into production before the U3a release.
acidpaintball
Lurker
Full Name: James McCoskey

Post by acidpaintball » 1 person likes this post

We require the features of 6.7 (windows failover clusters + vvols), but we have to wait for Cisco to release their stuff for 6.7, so until then we wanted to toss vcenter 6.7 in play to get use to the interface early. That was a mistake. Besides half of my vmware stuff backs up sometimes... the 6.7 migrate is also broke and uses a different native password for the postgresql database that is built in the vcsa. I knew better... but still did it.
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 » 2 people like this post

Cragdoo wrote:for those who have upgraded, are we talking your lab/test/dev environments? Surely no-one was stu... brave enough to upgrade to 6.7 on release day in production????
I've often noticed that some lessons need to be learned the hard way...
Veeaming since 2013
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy »

This guy! Day one 6.7 install on a spare USB drive for near zero risk in lab, went well!
cgrossman
Novice

Can someone please give some sort of a vague idea when u3a is coming? Days, weeks, months?
planetcoop
Influencer

Post by planetcoop » 1 person likes this post

@cgrossman

Veeam says after all 3a requirements are met, but frankly i don't care about windows 10 RS4... It has nothing to do with my virtual environment. :) Ironically with everything else at stake here, i absolutely update minute 1 in LABs, not PROD.
cgrossman
Novice

It's all good to make fun and all, but I've had no issues with VMWare updates, yet have spent months with Veeam to finally get reliable backups. With 6.7 going GA, I thought GA meant that all of the VMWare partners (especially the major ones) have had access to all the alpha, beta, RC, RTM code, and had most of the issues worked out to support by GA date. Apparently, something as simple as actually backing up data won't work anymore until who knows when Veeam will release a patch. Also, I don't think that a courtesy email informing Veeam customers that 6.7 breaks Veeam B&R would be that hard to do.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Cragdoo wrote:for those who have upgraded, are we talking your lab/test/dev environments? Surely no-one was stu... brave enough to upgrade to 6.7 on release day in production????
You just had to ask, no? :twisted: :wink:
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo » 1 person likes this post

@cgrossman I get what your saying I really do, but as responsible admin the onus is on you to carry out all necessary re-requisite checks, and that includes all your Vendors (i.e. Backup Vendors, Monitoring Vendors, Hardware Vendors), that they fully support the latest version of the software you are upgrading.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 11 people like this post

cgrossman wrote:It's all good to make fun and all, but I've had no issues with VMWare updates, yet have spent months with Veeam to finally get reliable backups. With 6.7 going GA, I thought GA meant that all of the VMWare partners (especially the major ones) have had access to all the alpha, beta, RC, RTM code, and had most of the issues worked out to support by GA date. Apparently, something as simple as actually backing up data won't work anymore until who knows when Veeam will release a patch. Also, I don't think that a courtesy email informing Veeam customers that 6.7 breaks Veeam B&R would be that hard to do.
It's important to note that, at least for VMware, it is not historically true that partners had some access to the GA code prior to release. Typically, as a partner, we've had access to the same code that all beta participants had, and VMware has a major history of making significant changes between the final release they provide partners and the code they ship in GA. In many cases the VDDK, or some other critical section of the API, had changes in the final GA release that required significant amounts of work, almost fully negating all work done by our dev and QA during the Beta/RC cycles.

Due to this, unlike some of our competitors, Veeam has never attempted to release "day 1 support" for VMware releases because we don't want to claim such things, which will lead to even more people upgrading quickly, and then have to scramble to write KB articles on all the things that don't actually work. For example, I can remember one case where one of our competitors trumpeted their "day 1 support" of a VMware release and specifically called out how they were delivering this support "faster than Veeam", only to have to write a KB article that described how you couldn't do restores, and several other functions, due to changes in the GA code. By the time they had the issues patched, Veeam had released a fully QA'd update with full support of all features.

I get that we are all excited to try new things, we here at Veeam are the same. We just don't feel it does a service to our customers to ship code and integration that hasn't been fully tested and proven to work with the actual shipped code from VMware. Backups are important, perhaps more important today, with the threat of ransomware, than any time in recent history. Being sure that backup, replication, instant restore, Surebackup, and all of the features work with the final GA code is important. I'll admit, I don't know if VMware made code changes between their last Beta/RC build and their final GA this time around, but it wouldn't surprise me, because it has happened in many previous releases.
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy »

Great counter-points, tsightler! I really appreciate your detailed perspective on the challenges of day 1 support, and the importance of proper time for Q&A. This was something I ran into first-hand, back when I was at IBM in the fall of 2014, helping prep Day 1 VVol documentation for vSphere 6.0.

Note that my exuberant comment about 6.7 above was a LAB test of ESXi 6.7, just kicking the tires to learn/document with no production workloads, prepping for when the next Veeam B&R release arrives, with fully tested and stated 6.7 support.