Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mikehen08
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Henry

Re: Veeam and VMware 6.7

Post by mikehen08 »

Bunce wrote:Quick question - apologies if I missed it in this thread.

Wondering if its been stated whether its the upgrade of vCenter / PSC to 6.7 or whether its the ESX hosts upgrades to 6.7 which actually causes a VBR backup to fail (prior to 3a update).

We're looking at scheduling a vCenter upgrade to rectify a couple of other non-Veeam related issues, and so undertaking a risk assessment of various options. And yes I realise we can request 3a update now so is also being considered.

Thanks
Hi Bunce,

I only upgraded vCenter to 6.7 and that caused issues because the backup target was the vCenter server instead of the ESXi (6.5) host. When I changed it to the ESXi host, it worked. My vCenter is on my DR side of things so its only backing up 2 VMs but it is working so YMMV.

-Mike
MrPerFormance
Lurker
Full Name: Osman KARİMDERE

Post by MrPerFormance » 1 person likes this post

I downloaded update 3a RTM and I saw it work successfully on vmware 6.7.
pixel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio Ettorre

Post by pixel »

Please give me the link to download it!!!
I don't find on veeam site :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Antonio, as it has been mentioned before, Update 3a is not generally available yet. You can get the RTM build by contacting our customer support. Thanks!
MrPerFormance
Lurker
Full Name: Osman KARİMDERE

Post by MrPerFormance »

Backup Success
https://ibb.co/mPFhjo
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

Hi Gostev,
We Do have the update and we are a VEEAM partner and have a contract , Today we had recieved the update VeeamBackup&Replication_9.5.0.1922.Update3a and its been installed on the LAB before we will push it to the customers VEEAM servers.

is the replication between two ESXI 6.7 supported as well in this ?

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Update 3a has full vSphere 6.7 support.
rikH
Service Provider
Full Name: RickH

Post by rikH »

Maybe an unnecessary question, however does 3a update cover inbetween VMware releases from 6.5 to 6.7 for example 6.5-U2?
I saw the following Kb https://www.veeam.com/kb2443 and it appears 6.5-U1 is the last supported release but this document is rather dated.
Regards Richard
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Anton Gostev has covered this in his weekly forum digest.
VMware vSphere 6.7 will be fully supported with no known issues or limitations from Veeam perspective. But those of you who like to be on the cutting edge with new vSphere functionality, please be aware that you won't be able to backup VMs with virtual NVDIMM devices present, or with virtual disks residing on PMem datastores. This is due to lack of VM snapshot support for such VMs in vSphere. But this should not come as a surprise, as it's quite traditional for VMware to release new functionality this way (remember no snapshot support for Fault Tolerant VMs originally).

VMware vSphere 6.5 U2 will NOT be officially supported with Update 3a due to the previously discussed vSphere API regression introduced by U2 and impacting environments with heavy host load. However, Update 3a does introduce "preliminary" U2 support by fixing all outstanding U2-specific issues (such as hot add transport failing with certain proxies), so in theory the newer U2 build fixing the API issue should be supported automatically – so long as it does not break something else, of course. And in general, Update 3a will make U2 "safer" to use in average (not heavily overprovisioned) environments which already upgraded to one. It's just that we are unable to support it officially, because any significant load spike will cause vSphere API to start failing randomly, consequently impacting most of the Veeam functionality. I will keep posting updates on VMware investigation of the API issue in the main topic about vSphere 6.5 U2 support.

VMware vCloud Director 9.1 support is also a part of Update 3a, at what we call "compatibility" level. This basically means that if you upgrade to the new platform version, everything you're doing today is guaranteed to continue working. But there are a couple of minor issues around new features introduced in vCloud Director 9.1 (specifically, with Standalone VMs and Guest vLAN Allowed option) which may require manual tweaks after full VM restore. These issues will be documented in the release notes for Update 3a.
So there is currently a bug in vSphere 6.5 U2 that fails the API under heavy load of the vSphere environment. As well you need to check VMware Update compatibillity as potentially you can not update from 6.5 U2 to vSphere 6.7 as 6.5U2 came out later. This might change over time.
rikH
Service Provider
Full Name: RickH

Post by rikH »

Thanks for the reply and clarification
Regards Richard
Dax333
Lurker
Full Name: Dan Neel

Post by Dax333 »

Gostev wrote:Antonio, as it has been mentioned before, Update 3a is not generally available yet. You can get the RTM build by contacting our customer support. Thanks!
Gostev,
When will Update 3a be generally available?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

This week.
ptrufero
Lurker
Full Name: Eduardo

Post by ptrufero »

Ready for download.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2646
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Correct - and also posted on the actual web site just now.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am locking this thread of longing for vSphere 6.7 support down now that Update 3a is generally available.
In case anyone has any issues around vSphere 6.7 with Update 3a installed, feel free to create a new topic.