Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gary.letth@evry.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Letth

Veeam B&R 12 and vSphere 8

Post by gary.letth@evry.com »

I've been running Veeam 11 for quite a while with vSphere 7 without any issues. I recently upgraded Veeam B&R to version 12 and everything worked great. I few days ago I upgraded vSphere to version 8 and I have a few issues since then. I've got a single backup job for all the virtual machines including the vcenter and the virtual machine running Veeam B&R. As i mentioned it worked great before. Ever since the upgrade the job initially fails to backup the machine running B&R but backs it up successfully after a retry. The error message in the log is the following:
Processing xxxxx Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
I'm also getting the following warnings during the vcenter backup:
2023-04-05 22:16:45 :: Removing VM snapshot... (0% done)
2023-04-05 22:19:12 :: Removing VM snapshot Details: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond x.x.x.x:443 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond x.x.x.x:443
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Veeam B&R 12 and vSphere 8

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Gary,
That is very strange, without a doubt. Is it all now in vSphere 8? ESXis, and vCenter? Can you go to VBR and go to properties to the vCenter, and go through all the steps so it kind of reconnects?

All the proxies are in good shape, and all?

I will suggest opening a support ticket anyways, just to be on the safe side. At the moment, I have not seen any issues when upgrading to vSphere 8 on other Customers, so it is not a known issue.

Please let us know.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
gary.letth@evry.com
Novice

I did a rescan of the vcenter and no issues there. I'll wait for the next backup job and keep an eye out.
VMware vCenter server 'hostname.domain.tld' was successfully saved.
Host info: VMware vCenter Server 8.0.0 build-21457384
Connection options:
User: administrator@vsphere.local
Port: 443
gary.letth@evry.com
Novice

Weirdly enough, the same day I posted this everything started working. Every single backup since has completed successfully. Not sure what made everything pop into place. I'm just happy it's working. I'll see myself out. :)