Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
reglissetahiti
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: de la fressange

Veeam B&R 7 architecture between production and DR site

Post by reglissetahiti »

Hello,
I am new to Veeam deployment architecture.
I have to deploy Veeam B&R 7 enterprise edition on the following vsphere architecture :

2 sites 80 VMs (windows servers and linux)
Site A = Production
Site B = DR and Tests (homologation)
WAN connexion between A & B at 100 Mbps
Replications in both directions but most part is from A to B
Site A
2 clusters of ESXi 5.5 U2 with a SAN array
1 cluster is for VM of DMZ env and the other one is for LAN env
Site B
Idem site A

I plan to deploy the following Veeam architecture (Everything is virtualized)
On site A :
1 Veeam Backup server controls :
- The local VM backups job to a local backup repository
- The replication jobs from the site B
1 backup Repository (different from backup server)

On site B :
1 Veeam Backup server controls :
- The local VM backups job (including) VM and VM replicas) to a local backup repository
- The replication jobs from the site A (in order to be able to manage failover in case of a disaster on site A)
1 backup Repository (different from backup server)

Questions 1:
Because the backup server which controls the replication is on the remote site, I have understood that I have to add to the backup server a backup proxy which is on the source site.
On the backup server on site B, when configuring the replication job from a source host on site A, is it possible to use the proxy which is into the backup server on the source site A (after having adding it to the managed server) without breaking the backup server A ? (I know it would not be the best condidering performances but we run out of windows server licence)

Question 2:
In case I deploy an additionnal backup proxy on each site. Does this backup proxy can manage replications flows in both directions ?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam B&R 7 architecture between production and DR site

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hello, you can add both Veeam B&R instances as proxy servers for each other, it is quite a common practice. The only thing you should keep in mind while doing it is that in this case the number of concurrent tasks per proxy will be counted within each backup server independently. So plan your backup load accurately, especially if parallel processing is used.
reglissetahiti
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: de la fressange

Post by reglissetahiti »

foggy wrote:Hello, you can add both Veeam B&R instances as proxy servers for each other, it is quite a common practice. The only thing you should keep in mind while doing it is that in this case the number of concurrent tasks per proxy will be counted within each backup server independently. So plan your backup load accurately, especially if parallel processing is used.

OK, thank you very much for your fast reply.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Moreover, it wouldn't harm to have enterprise manager deployed to have decent visibility across those backup servers. Thanks.