Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hakoss
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam B&R12 (problem with gfs schedule on vm linux)

Post by hakoss »

Hello everyone,
I have 2 backup jobs in my company, 1 job for Windows VMs and another for Linux VMs.
My GFS schedule works fine for my Windows job while my Linux job does not work according to the GFS schedule. My GFS schedule looks like this:
14 restoration points
1 full backup at the end of the week.
And a monthly kept over 2 months so 2 monthly.
For my Linux VMs I end up with a complete backup when creating the job and then incrementals, I end up with around 240 incrementals.
I don't understand where the problem could come from.
Thanks for your help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam B&R12 (problem with gfs schedule on vm linux)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello hakoss,

The retention and GFS logic is independent from the source machine Operating System and should work the same for both jobs. Are you sure that retention and job schedule is set the same way for the both jobs? Thanks!
hakoss
Novice

Post by hakoss »

Hello Dima P,

Yes, the two tasks are identical except for one option, the job for Windows VMs is in "Active full backup" while the job for Linux VMs is in "Create Synthetic full backups", in fact I thought that could come of this difference in settings, so I created a job with 1 Linux VM and configured the parameter in "active full backup", this did not change anything and what's more it did not even create a full backup for me. configured day.
Thank you for your help.
hakoss
Novice

Post by hakoss »

Does anyone have an idea where my backup problem with my Linux VMs could come from ? :(
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Theory crafting here: your scheduled synthetic full for the Monthly GFS restore point was not created couple of times making a very long incremental restore chain (i.e. 240 incrementals). Since for backup chains with periodic full backups there is not merge operations during retention the backup chain can be removed only when the latest incremental restore point is retired, so you need to wait for the latest 240 restore points to be removed then the whole chain is going to be removed.

You can potentially check if I am wright or not by reviewing the job logs or be opening a support case. By the way it's possible to detach the existing backup chain from the backup job and start new backup chain. Hope it helps!
hakoss
Novice

Post by hakoss »

I recreated a new job configured identically to the old job except for the fact that I only integrated 2 Linux VMs, after 14 days, I had my weekly and monthly backup which was created with my restore points. Reassured that the job was working correctly, I stopped the old job and added the rest of my Linux VMs to my new job.
7 days later I check that the weekly backup was carried out correctly, I discover that I find myself in the same situation as with the old job, that is to say the 1st backup in full and the rest in incremental, more weekly and monthly, this has been deleted, I don't understand why, so my job for my Window VMs works without any problems.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the update! Can you clarify what repository is set as a target for this job?
hakoss
Novice

Post by hakoss »

Hi Dima P,

The repository for this job is set to target on "immutable repository" like my job for windows VMs