Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Veeam Backup and FastSCP unreliable?

Post by kjstech »

Is the older Veeam Backup and FastSCP unreliable? I always get a few gigs though a job in a few hours and eventually get failed to get file 'nfc://conn:rhesxi;stg(a big hex string)@VM/VM-flat.vmdk

I just wanted to move some machines from one esxi server to another esxi server as the source server is to be decomissioned.

I'm going to try Veeam Backup & Replication and a file copy job. So far I have one VM processing at 10 MB/s. Both esxi's are connected via 1gbps network.

So is the old FastSCP just outdated and not maintained anymore? I just tried it because I read about it as an option for this use case scenereo.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup and FastSCP unreliable?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Keith,

FastSCP is now built-in to Veeam B&R product. Can you please tell me what version of vSphere you have issues with while copying VM files? As to your goal of moving VMs from one host to another one, you can use either Quick Migration or replication jobs.

Thank you!
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

I was moving from ESXi 4.1 U3 to ESXi 5.0 U3.

I installed Veeam Backup 7.0 and created a file copy job and that worked fine.

I didn't realize I could use it as a free version with limited features, or even think about using a 30 day trial when I only needed this one time use for it.

I do have Veeam 7.0 R2 with the latest patch but that is at our primary datacenter. This example was for a remote office where their local file and print server was being migrated to newer hardware.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I didn't realize I could use it as a free version with limited features, or even think about using a 30 day trial when I only needed this one time use for it.
Yep, with free version you can perform ad-hoc backup of selected VMs, copy files between different locations or even migrate VMs. Moreover, in version 7 we have updated seriously functionality that is included in Veeam Backup Free Edition; below there is a blog post talking about new additions to the free edition, so, it might be worth taking a look:

http://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-get-st ... ition.html

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kjstech wrote:I was moving from ESXi 4.1 U3 to ESXi 5.0 U3.
Standalone versions of FastSCP didn't support vSphere 5, so it's always better to use free built-in functionality of the latest Veeam B&R version ;)
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

Oh I just wanted to add, I only needed to use vmkfstools -i to convert the disks back to thin provisioned. After that it was great.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam B&R free edition also allows converting disks to any format during restore operations. Glad that you've managed to achieve your goal.