Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager without key recovery?

Post by Daniel N. »

I'm very interested in VBEM for its REST API. It would greatly enhance our monitoring and reporting.

I was on a one-week VBR certification training and we also had a look at VBEM. I learned that as soon as you install VBEM a recovery key pair is created that can be used to recovery the encryption key set in VBR, in the case you loose it. Now I was not happy with that because they means that VBEM, becomes a critical attack target. I asked if we can disable key recovery entirely on VBEM. The answer was a clear and definite NO.

It seems odd to me that VBEM forces its way into our backup encryption procedures. We need VBEM only to have a read-only REST API server and neither planned nor intend to categorize it as 'business critical' infrastructure.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager without key recovery?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Daniel,
I am quite sure you can disable respectful option under Enterprise Manager - Configuration - Key Management - [ ] Enable encryption password loss protection.
Note that this change will not affect existing backups, but will apply to newly created ones.
/Thanks!