Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vevmv
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam does not utilize the data channel.

Post by vevmv »

There was a need to perform a backup of the office server to a geographically distant repository.
The office is installed Veeam B&R version 9.5.0.1536
In a remote office Synology DS218j.
The network looks like this:
In the main office there is a microtik and performs the function of a L2TP server with an ipsec. Channel on the Internet 60Mbit\s duplex.
in the remote office there is a router channel in the Internet 50 Mbit\s duplex. Synology connect via l2tp to microtik in main office.
In Veeam synology repositories configured as shared folder. The backup speed is between 12 and 35 Mbps. I need the whole channel to be involved.
When I try to send a file by smb from computer to storage, the entire transmission channel is used.
How to make Veeam use the whole transmission channel?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam does not utilize the data channel.

Post by wishr »

Hi Vevmw,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

A couple of additional questions to get a complete overview:
1. Did you mean the backup speed is 12 to 35MBps (Megabytes per second) or 12 to 35 Mbps (Megabits per second)?
2. Is the computer you've mentioned located in the same office network?
3. What's the upload speed from the computer in the same office network to Synology DS218j
4. How have you got the numbers above? What utilities have been used to measure the transmission/backup speeds?
5. How you've identified that file transfer utilized the whole channel capacity?
6. Are there any firewalls/traffic analysis software/IDS/IPS between the networks?
7. In the B&R UI after the backup has completed which component is shown as causing a bottleneck?

Thanks and look forward to your reply.
vevmv
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by vevmv »

Hi!
1. I mean Megabits per second.
2. Veeam B&R server located in the same office network with computers
3. I install iperf3 on Synology and iperf3 on computer with Windows 7. Speed is near 48 megabits per sec. I run iperf3 in two directions, the speed was stable and had no failures.
Thus, I will cut off possible problems with providers of Internet channels, excessive load on crypting\decrypting packet ipsec on storage and on router.
The SMB protocol file transfer rate was floating. When transferring from computer to storage, the speed was higher and less failing than during transfer from server to storage.
4.I used the real time trafic statistics of the l2tp interface on the microtic router.
5.Using microtik trafic statistics.
6. I using microtik queue. Now i disabled queue rules for direction, that can affect to trafic beetween Synology and office network.
7. Target.
I think the problem is in smb, how it regulates the data transfer rate. I tried to switch off chimney, rss and smb1 but it only made it worse. Speed degraded after this.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Vevmv,

Thank you for the answers!

What other operations are involving this storage? Maybe there is some external impact? I.e. huge amounts of data are being pushed to the storage simultaneously, etc.

Also, I went through the Synology forums and found out that there are quite a lot of complaints about the data transfer speed being lower than expected...

Thanks,
Fedor
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Try to configure some server located in remote office as a gateway for this repository. Another option to try is an iSCSI LUN mounted directly to backup/repository server instead of a shared folder. Anyway, this is the low-end model, so don't expect good speed from it.