Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
liorme
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: lior

veeam enterprise manager - The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted

Post by liorme »

i'm getting this while trying to search mailbox to restore
the enterprise manager is installed separately than the b&r, and both of them are not in the domain, not joined.

when i do this lookup, which of the machines is trying to access the domain? the enterprise manager or the br? which of them does the query? maybe i can manipulate dns/hosts file to get the em/br to get in touch with the domain?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: veeam enterprise manager - The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

I am quite sure that is expected behavior when Enterprise Manager runs outside domain.
It is EM Service Account permissions question, and in your case it's a non-domain machine local account that cannot query domain controllers.
Check carefully EM Service Account requirements.

/Thanks!
FXE
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: veeam enterprise manager - The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted

Post by FXE »

Hi all !

I get the same message whereas our Veeam B&R/EM and Exchange are in the same AD domain.
Thank you.

Regards,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6711 times

Post by Gostev »

DNS or firewall issues perhaps then?
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Perhaps, and how can I check for any issue about DNS or FW ?
Because I did not find any relevant requirements about this for Veeam Explorer for MS Exchange.

Thank you !
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Explorer does not have any special requirements. Working DNS and DC accessibility is the core infrastructure stuff... and sorry but I'm not going to help you troubleshoot your DNS and connectivity over forum posts ;)
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Gostev,

I guess we have a fully operational DNS/AD. So I will open a case.
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Case opened : 05063445.
I'll give you feed back.

Regards,
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Hi all,

I maybe pointed the source of my problem.
Our Veeam EM is hosted on a Windows Server 2016. Our Exchange datastores are hosted on ReFS 3.2 volumes on Windows Server 2019.

Am I on the right way ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Why would this have any impact on ability to establish network connections to domain controllers? :)
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

I dont' know, but when I try to restore Exchange items from EM or B&R from our our Veeam server, operation fails at mounting datastores.
Whereas this operation runs flawlessly from B&R console on Windows 10 21H1.

Maybe this message shown in EM is generic... I don't know. I'm waiting for answer from your support team about that.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

What's your VBR server OS?
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Windows Server 2016 1607.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

That might be the case here.
- When you are launching restores from remote VBR console, backups by default are mounted on your console machine - so your W10 21H1 can read ReFS3.2 volume and perform item-level restore.
- When restore is launched from Enterprise Manager, backups are mounted to VBR server(2016, which has ReFS 3.0\3.1 support), which might have problems reading ReFS 3.2 volume.

Can you run File-level restore from VBR server locally using that 2019 server backup?
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

No, same issue with ReFS (3.4 and not 3.2) volumes (OK with NTFS (OS) volume).

So is the message shown in EM (The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted) is related to this ReFS version mismatch or would there another issue ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Contacting domain has nothing to do with failed backup mounting. Those are 2 separate issues.
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Hmm... I've given the link to this post to the Veeam support engineer in charge of my case.
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE » 1 person likes this post

Hi all !

We have pointed the origine of this issue : this is the credentials form in "Directory Account" within VEM settings.
This account was under its UPN form, and VEM does not like UPN form (user@domain.local). I've changed it with NetBIOS form (DOMAIN\User) and voilà !

Thanks to Mihaela COJOCARU from Veeam Support who helped me to find this trick !
Maybe it will be interesting to precise this in a KB or the install guide.

I'm always happy to see my AD works flawlessly ! ;)

Regards,