Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Veeam Instant Recovery for one time testing purposes?

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the proper use of Instant Recovery: we are looking for a way to test things on a single server (no network connection or other servers needed) that we do not want to do on the live system. I know that SureBackup is one possibility for this. But this is hard to configure and for this scenario where we only need one isolated server and only one time, this is what in Germany is calles "
shooting sparrows with cannons" (does this exist in english?).

Is there any downside of using Veeam Instant Recovery for this? I would "restore to a new location", and then disable all network connections - is there any reason why we should not use this feature in this case?

Thanks for your insights!

Regards,

Tobias
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam Instant Recovery for one time testing purposes?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

SureBackup and Instant Recovery are nearly the same.

SureBackup was built for the specific usecase and I suggest that you have a look at it. It is a one time setup that maybe need an hour work if you did never used it. Maybe watch some videos and read through some blogs for it.

With Instant Restore you have the human factor in it and you could easily overwrite an production VM or disturb the server when you forgot to disable the network checkbox. Other than this there speaks nothing against to use Instant Recovery.
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hello Andreas,

thanks for the quick reply.
Partly we also want to use it in "time sensitive" cases - we had the problem during the holidays that one of our servers did not work properly, and we wanted to test some restores of the software, but we did not want to do it in the live system. Also this is for a colleague who is not as familiar with Veeam, I already used SureBackup, but I did not want to explain it to the others only for my 4 week absence.

I will show him Instant Recovery, and will indicate that if the wrong button is pressed, the Live VM could be overwritten...

Thanks a lot!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

We do have "VM exists in production" checks during recovery though, and Instant VM Restore is not an exception from the list ;)