Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Veeam Integration with NetApp AltaVault

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi All.

I've written up a blog post showing how to integrate NetApp AltaVault (now called NetApp Cloud Backup) with Veeam and AWS S3 in a lab environment. Hopefully people will find it useful. Let me know what you think.

Neil.

https://univirt.wordpress.com/2018/05/2 ... de-part-1/

Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam Integration with NetApp AltaVault

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Neil,

thanks for writing this down.

Currently the integration is in close lab testing with their newest firmware 4.4.1 on both sides. We faced some issues at our support and we want to be sure that all customers have a good experience with it. The latest firmware 4.4.1 was built to address those.

At this stage NetApp stated that we should disable Cloud deduplication to avoid issues at restore over time.

On the Veeam side we never officially supported storages that offload data to the cloud and leave pointers behind (HSM approach). Therefore I suggest to enable pinned mode on the Altavault until official statement.

Overall you need to make sure that the AltaVault appliance has enough space to cover the latest backup chain (full + incrementals) of any Veeam Job that work with it.
As we access our backup files over time, there will be potentially some costs for the cloud to on premises data traffic.
Also suggested at the moment is to use it as a Backup Copy Job target with enabled "Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments" as it has the most compatible workload until we will have official details.

As I said we are testing this in deep with the NetApp AltaVault team and we will for sure share additional details when testing has finished (soon).
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Re: Veeam Integration with NetApp AltaVault

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for your comments. I'll be sure to add them to the blog with a link back to this post. As I say, this is a deployment for my Veeam lab and customers should always seek advise from vendors, in this case Veeam and NetApp, for best practices and supported configurations when deploying in production.

In terms of pinning data, does this currently apply to both S3 and Glacier? The Altavault Admin Guide only talks about pinning data when replicating to Glacier but I'm guessing it should apply to both to ensure better RTOs.

Interestingly, there are a couple of deployment guides out there from both NetApp and Veeam that omit the points you make here:

https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4426.pdf
https://www.veeam.com/wp-veeam-netapp-a ... guide.html

Neil.