Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Veeam Server 2008 R2 and the CLR Optimization Service

Post by Zew »

Hey All,

I wasn't sure if it was Veeam related or not or if it was another product (Paesller PRTG) Veeam and these guys have the best support around so I figured between them and you guys and MS techNet. I believe we can figure this one out.

For the back story. Installed Veeam on VM, as All-in-One, works great.

Couldn't monitor VNXe SAN via SNMP or otherwise (*Cough* VNXe sucks *Cough*). So as a work around decided to just monitor the IP addresses of the storage network (our monitoring server doesn't have legs in those subnets, and for good reason) The only server that does, Veeam! for backup purposes. So we decided to install the PRTG remote probe. All good!

However I noticed that I would get these strange CPU spike (They were distinguishable, like the same pattern every time I caught it, and when I did I discovered it was mscrosvw.exe). So Googles to the rescue... or not... after much research it seemed to make sense why I only caught it when I did, but what didn't match was the fact it was suppose to finish optimizing then go away, instead the same pattern emerged day after day, even after reboot. This is when I figured something is wrong. So I took to technet. For full details seemy TechNet Post https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 04b7f2d248. (Yes I am all over the place when it comes to fourms, I'm even on IRC, hope to see some of you on freenode someday)

after I ran the manual command to run and finish the process. I discovered it was complaining about a "Failed to load the runtime. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131700). Assembly c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\Microsoft.SqlServer.ForEachFileEnumeratorWrap.dll requires version v4.0 of the runtime to run.

Assembly will be compiled once the correct runtime is installed."

Does Veeam use this SQL path, or not? I'm just trying to track down which of the two products uses it.
Zew
Veteran

Re: Veeam Server 2008 R2 and the CLR Optimization Service

Post by Zew »

Mmmm no replies... that is odd...

Double checking the dependencies of Veeam on Server 2008 R2, I can't see .NET being one. Does Veeam require .NET installed on the core server?
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Fudge... well my .NET got screwwed, while still working this optimazation services has screwed up everything. Now I'm going to rebuild my dang backup server cause of it. :@

Gosh darn it MS!