Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
citation79
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Teo

Veeam server behind firewall

Post by citation79 »

Hi guys,

I want to backup my cloud servers from my data center to my local network.
I got to install Veeam B&R at my local network and deploy agents at my data center devices.
The issue I am having is that whenever I try to start a replication job I get the following error:

7/8/2022 4:29:00 PM :: Processing DCSERVER.domain.local Error: resolve: No such host is known
--tr:Failed to connect to target endpoint.
--tr:Client failed to process the command. Command: [connectByIPs].
--tr:event:1:
--tr:event:3:

I don't know what might be causing this.
I configured a public IP through my firewall for the Veeam server but it's inside the firewall. Do I need to open any ports for this to work? or the error refers to something else?

Let me know since I can't get those servers to replicate to my local site because of that error.
My servers are inside my network covered by a Sonicwall firewall.

Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam server behind firewall

Post by Mildur »

Hi Teo

Is this about replication jobs (you wrote replication) or Veeam Agent Backup Jobs (you wrote backup of cloud servers)?

I believe it‘s the veeam Agent and no replication is involved. Veeam Agent and NAT is not supported. The veeam Agent needs to be able to talk to the Veeam Server without NAT. The agent gets the fqdn of the vbr server and must be able to resolve that name. The resolved ip address must be reachable for the agent.

You can try the workaround with the hostfile in this topic or use a vpn solution to connect both networks.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
citation79
Novice

Post by citation79 »

Hi Fabian it's a veeam replication job, sorry I wasn't clear. I have connection to my esxi host outside our network.
I have a VMware agent installed on the external DC where the external VMs reside.
The issue is that I want to replicate them from the Datacenter into my network and I keep getting that error, even when I can perfectly see and manage the external server inside Veeam, etc. I see the VMs, inventory etc but when I run the replication job it fails with that particular error so I thought it might be a firewall issue or something but not really sure.

Teo
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Teo

Thanks for the additional info.

Is there a NAT between your backup server and the esxi host?
I would deploy a Veeam Proxy on the esxi Host, and enable the option „Run server on this side“ under managed server for this proxy and see if it works. This option is required for veeam components outside the backup servers NAT. The proxy itself should be deployed with or without a nat.

If that is not helping, please open a support case and post the case number. Support can help you if you upload the debug logs.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
citation79
Novice

Post by citation79 »

Fabian,
I was able to solve the issue by:

1. Adding server public IP and hostname to Windows host file.
2. Open ports 2500-3300 on my Sonicwall to that server.

With that the external agent can see the Veeam server and replicate without issues.

Hope this helps others in the future.

Teo