Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Veeam Server on Destination

Post by karlochacon »

hi guys

We are a datacenter and we want to proxy some kind of disaster recovery as a service using Veeam I used Veeam where you install the Veeam Server in the source and a backup proxy on destination and it works as it should.

now this new disaster recovery as a service requires access from customer to our Datacenter and you know Veeam Server from our customers require access to our vCenter in the Datacenter which is a security concern for us....talking with someone told me that to deploy Veeam Server in our Datacenter and Backup proxy in the customer site.... but I think that is not possible scenario since the transport mode won't be possible

Am I right? check picture below, normal scenario and scenario that I was recommended

http://screencast.com/t/5sYO4UFCtPiu

thanks a lot
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam Server on Destination

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Carlos,
yes you can do it! Each customer can have one or more proxies, and you connect them to the repositories (or other proxies if it's a replication job) inside your datacenter. Veeam server is in your datacenter and as long as it can connect to remote proxies and remote vCenters, everything works.
From here, it depends if you also want to offer self-service restores to customers, if not, your design is already completed. If yes, you need to work on users and permissions on both veeam server and your vCenter so each user can only see his part of the DR infrastructure.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Re: Veeam Server on Destination

Post by karlochacon »

dellock6 wrote:Hi Carlos,
yes you can do it! Each customer can have one or more proxies, and you connect them to the repositories (or other proxies if it's a replication job) inside your datacenter. Veeam server is in your datacenter and as long as it can connect to remote proxies and remote vCenters, everything works.
From here, it depends if you also want to offer self-service restores to customers, if not, your design is already completed. If yes, you need to work on users and permissions on both veeam server and your vCenter so each user can only see his part of the DR infrastructure.

Luca.

yeah you're pointing out a very good point.... who will take the responsibility when something goes wrong on the customer site....

cool I did not know Veema server could be on the destination and proxies in the sources :)

thinking about it it's much better if the customer handles the veeam server since some of these customer asked some days ago If they could only take down one VM and have it up and running in our datacenter for maintenance which is a very common practice for them.

thanks a lot

Yeah I will have to check VM permissions in that case as you mention