Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Veeam stopped my mail server cluster

Post by Tutek »

Hi,
Today I created my first backup of my two mail servers in cluster, these two ubuntu linux servers are located on Vsphere, after job finished I see that my cluster have status "stopped" with error at the same time when veeam finished his backup job. Is any additional steps I need to configure to backup linux vm located on vsphere?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Veeam stopped my mail server cluster

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Wojciech,

You have configured vm backup job, right?
The backup job creation process should be similar for vSphere VMs on Linux/Windows - you see the same steps here.

Thanks!
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Post by Tutek »

so what could I configure wrong way?
I did not checked "Enable application aware processing" or "Enable guest file system indexing"
These two servers in cluster share the same /opt volume using DRBD, and this volume is accessible only for master server in cluster.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

I think you ran into a stun because of VMware Snapshot processing.
You can verify this without Veeam.
Create a VM Snapshot in vCenter (without any additional checkbox), wait the same time as the backup took, then remove the snapshot again.
You will likely face the same issue. If this is the case you need to work with VMware and your storage vendor on performance.

If you use VMware NFS based datastores and use Veeam HotAdd backup processing there could be some additional stuns by design of VMware. If this is the case let me know here and I can guide you further.

In the end if nothing helps, you can use our Veeam Agent for Linux managed by Veeam Backup & Replication to backup the system.

Other topic, you need potentially to change your DRBD cluster setting to a higher latency for failovers. You can test it with vMotion/StorageVMotion or VM snapshot creation/removal. Those processes should not failover the workload.