Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Veeam Support - Case # 07052237 info

Post by StanoSedliak » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

could someone from here check what is the status of the Veeam Support - Case # 07052237?
We had problems from 14-15.12.2023 that our backups stopped working with error: "Cannot find parent backup for child xy", the restore points for this jobs disappeared from Veeam GUI, so we created new jobs, now this happened again, I know form Veeam that the were able to reproduce the issue and are writing a fix as there are some inconsistency in the Veeam DB as they know now the root cause, but they didn't tell me what is wrong.

Can maybe someone check and let me know what is the root cause please?

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam Support - Case # 07052237 info

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, the case status shows "WithRnD". Your support engineer will keep you updated on the support case status as well as the root cause, as soon as they receive this information from Dev/QA. Unfortunately, we're unable to share details or provide updates on particular support cases on this forum. Thank you
StanoSedliak
Service Provider

Post by StanoSedliak » 1 person likes this post

Hi, thank you for explanation, the problem is that now I can only watch how from 600 jobs actually 150+ are failing and not working anymore and I opened the case on 14.12.2023 and we still do not have any fix.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

In theory you can always use Talk to a Manager functionality of the Customer Support portal to escalate the case. While it won't hurt to do so, in practice at this stage it rarely makes difference as the case is already with R&D and they are developing some custom script to fix a very special situation your configuration database ended up in due to a failing backup move. And such custom development is never instant...
StanoSedliak
Service Provider

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi, yes we understand that it's not instant, but we didn't expect that it will happened again after almost 4 weeks. First time it happened we just created new jobs and run an active full as workaround, problem now is that now we do not have enough free space on repos and we need to know what we can do to avoid this to happen (for example again for another 150 jobs) today in the night, if it would help to extend existing retention from 30 days to 40 etc...
I wrote yesterday when it again starts to support so I hope they can provide me some info. Thank you again.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider

Post by StanoSedliak »

Just FYI, we received now a private hotfix for this issue, so far its working, we hit some situation which caused some problems with Veeam DB, it wook some weeks, till Veeam support could reproduce the issue and write a fix and test it etc... but finally its again working.
mjr.epicfail
Veeam Legend
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Danny de Heer

Post by mjr.epicfail »

Hi OP,

Can you share if you are using the MsSQL or the Postgress DB for the Veeam DB?
VMCE / Veeam Legend 1*
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

I can't speak for @StanoSedliak, but we had the same issue, using MSSQL for the DB. In our case, the provided hotfix didn't fix anything but, considering the poor performance of the rep that we were dealing with, I don't find that surprising. In the end, I gave up on Veeam support for this issue and recreated all relevant backup jobs. If a restore is required in the next two weeks, we will have to manually import the old backups and perform the recovery for our customer, and we';ll have to remember to manually remove the old backups after we hit a complete retention cycle on the new jobs. To me, this was a HUGE bug and brought our v12.1 rollout to an immediate halt.