Veeam v7- backing up vCenter's remote SQL VSS writer error

VMware specific discussions

Re: Veeam v7- backing up vCenter's remote SQL VSS writer err

Veeam Logoby mconte » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Let me recapitulate.

With application-aware backup I can have VSS processing and log truncation for every DB, but NOT for vCenter DB.
With "VMware Tools quiescence" I can have VSS processing for every DB, vCenter DB included. The only missing feature is log truncation (missing fro every DB).
Since vCenter DB is the most important thing to protect in my scenario, isn't "VMware Tools quiescence" better suited for the job? Am I missing something?
mconte
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michele

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 am

I cannot comment on whether or not "VMware Tools quiescence" is better suited for the job, because without source code access I cannot know the internals of this technology, how exactly does it interact with Microsoft VSS, and whether it performs all the required steps and does it correctly.

Originally, we created our own logic for VSS integration, because "VMware Tools quiescence" was the #1 source of support requests, and we could not really troubleshoot or support our customers with those issues. It was in later versions when we also added application-aware processing functionality on top of our VSS integration.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby MPD » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm 2 people like this post

We found a temporary work around in my case

A remote SQLSERVER.internal.domain vCenter database entry is being added to Veeam in its Database Exclusions menu (registry edit required to make the menu appear under Veeam 7's options). The logs state that instead of looking for the vCenter MS SQL database at SQLSERVER.internal.domain, Veeam is looking for a truncated SQLSERVER hostname (not SQLSERVER.internal.domain). When we added the non-FQDN hostname to the database exclusions, everything is working correctly. Veeam thinks that this is incorrect behavior, the original exclusion should work fine, and there may be an easy permanent fix somewhere that doesn't require the manual exclusion

TLDR; Work-around- add the hostname only to Veeam's database exclusions, then re-run your job
MPD
Novice

Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Vcenter database backup Failed to freeze guest

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi,

Since veeam v7 there is an new feature called transparant vcenter database backup .
i thought.

So i have an Windows 2008r2 SQL Server that has the vcdb (vcenter database) on it.
I have Veeam V7R2, and when backup the sql server it failed very fast with the following:

Unable to release guest: Error: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout
Error: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout

Before v7 i backupped the sql server by adding the esxi host as a seperate host (outside vcenter), that worked. But i want to use the way without that workaround.

I have also set the EnableDBexclusions, and i see the "vcdb" database is on the list with the short servername before it. i added the same rule with the ip adress also, and retried the job.

Failed again. :(

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tristan
tfloor
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 am

Tristan, if nothing in this thread helps, I recommend contacting support to review job debug logs. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 am

foggy wrote:Tristan, if nothing in this thread helps, I recommend contacting support to review job debug logs. Thanks.

I think i'm going todo that. Because indeed nothing in this thread helps me...
tfloor
Expert

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 am 1 person likes this post

Solution Found!

The database exclusion name is case-sensitive.
Since my database for vcenter was fully capitalized, the automatic exclusion made by VSS was not correct, maybe a bug. (not fully capitalized).

Changed it to fully capitalized and works like a charm
tfloor
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 am

Tristan, glad you've nailed it, thanks for sharing!
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 am 1 person likes this post

foggy wrote:Tristan, glad you've nailed it, thanks for sharing!

thanks to tier3 veeam support
Case # 00484747
tfloor
Expert

Veeam Logoby cffit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:09 pm

So there are a lot of fixes for this thrown around so far. It seems the registry edit to exclude the VEEAM databases is the most important. Are any of the other things listed throughout this thread required? Like making certain accounts admins on the SQL server? Or is it just the DB exclusions via the registry?

Thanks!
cffit
Expert

Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi Christensen, it is just db exclusion via registry, no other things are required. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby michaelryancook » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:08 pm

This post helped us as well. Just FYI if you have mulitple vCenters on one SQL server the Veeam job only excludes the vCenter database the SQL server is within. We had a second vCenter with it's DB on the same SQL server. The two vCenter's are in linked mode and VSS based backups failed until we manually added the second DB to the database exclusions using the process defined in this thread.
michaelryancook
Expert

Full Name: Michael Cook

[MERGED] Backup of vCenter Database on VBR9 U1

Veeam Logoby velk22 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm

I've searched the forum, and everything I see posted is for v8.x. I have a vCenter vm that whose database is on a shared SQL instance. 2012DB and servers across the board.
Based on what I have seen, I have to run a backup of the vCenter server from INSIDE a host directly because VSS will not freeze the database...and it has to be a special job probably without the VSS option on that job. Great. However, what about if the database is on another shared server? I've read about how VBR v8 will "know to skip" the VSS part of vCenter. Is that when it's a local SQL DB only? How exactly would I configure the Jobs to capture vCenter and its database on another server? I assume there would be 2 jobs...one for vCenter which can't use VSS, one for the shared DB server without VSS + enabling the registry option inside veeam to skip specific DBs. Am I on the right track? Seems to be quite alot of work, to backup vCenter. I would think Veeam had a much better solution worked out to backup one of the most important systems.
velk22
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian V

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:27 pm 1 person likes this post

Brian, vCenter DB is automatically skipped from VSS processing, you do not need to back it up via the host directly anymore and it can be backed up by a job with AAIP enabled (starting v7, AFAIR). That includes cases with remote DB (provided rights to the remote server registry are sufficient, please see above for details).
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby velk22 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Alexander- Thanks for the response- the question is (and maybe some of the secret sauce here) since its remote SQL, it just "knows" what database is used for vCenter? Fine to me if that's the answer. I'm guessing the table structure is known so Veeam could identify it pretty easily in the process pre-snapshot.
velk22
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian V

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere