Veeam v9.5: Error: Full storage not found

VMware specific discussions

Veeam v9.5: Error: Full storage not found

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Case # 01984571

I recently upgraded to version 9.5 from v9u2 and everything seemed to work fine after the fact except for one job failed with this error: Error: Full storage not found. I use SOBR for targets and what i noticed was the .vbm file seemed to be missing from one of the extents. Copying the .vbm into the extent did nothing as it was removed again once the job was retried. Running an active full on that Job created a new chain and job folder.

Fast forward to last night, eight (8) more jobs that all of the sudden fail and display the same error. The same symptoms appear to be present, missing .vbm in one of the SOBR extents. Something is afoot here and this time active full doesn't do the trick. I cant just simply create new jobs and let them rip, the issue is impacting ~25TB worth of vms and data and will clobber the back end array. We rotate fulls and schedules to keep everything happy.

What I also notice is that the job/data no longer appears under "Backups Disk" as if they job never existed but the data is clearly on the disk target. Rescanning the repositories does nothing to improve the problem.

Anybody else see this? I know it had been a known issue with previous releases and there was a hotfix or SQL fix for it.

Thanks.
SyNtAxx
Expert

Liked: 14 times

Re: Veeam v9.5: Error: Full storage not found

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:21 am

syntaxx,

I see you have created a case so that is good. Please let us know the outcome here also. And I hope this is resolved quickly :-)

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:40 am

Well, last night 97% of my jobs ran as fulls. .vbm files got nuked, even on jobs that had been recreated and run for 5 days. Something is really wrong. All my backups are MIA as far as veeam is concerned. All new chains, again.
SyNtAxx
Expert

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:51 am

That is not good news. Is support still working on the case?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Hoping for escalation to tier 2/3 for development and resolve.

-Nick
SyNtAxx
Expert

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Not sure if it's related to the problem above (the error is similar) - but I've had a recurring problem in both v9 and 9.5 - 'Full point not found'
Case #01970878

An Active Full resolved it, but the error has returned on other jobs.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:26 pm

The fact of life is that the bug will not be escalated to R&D, investigated and fixed until you keep agreeing with your support engineer to just do an Active Full every time you have this issue.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby layte » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to every single one of my copy jobs after upgrading to 9.5

Veeam support were of little help and even tried to make out the jobs were disable for a number of days as the root of the issue. Not only were the jobs not disabled, why would them being disabled for a few days cause Veeam to trash them all and start again. In the end I had to create new storage repositories on the Data Domain and recreate all the copy jobs.

I am left being very disappointed in Veeam, and will be making some tough decisions when the support renewal is due.
layte
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Have you provided this feedback to support management (there's an option for this right on the customer support portal)? Otherwise how would we be able to react.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:19 pm

OK, speaking personally, it's quite infrequent and for us, too easily remedied - to consider entering into a prolonged investigation with support.
That's why I just mentioned it here, to support what has already been posted above (the other poster's issues, seem more serious than our own).

However, the next time it happens - I can certainly put a call in, and request a deeper investigation.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby applc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:53 pm

I had the exact same issue twice now. I have a brand new install of 9.5, just installed and configured over a week ago. This is a completely new green-field setup. It had been running great for several days. Then yesterday a job failed with Error: Full storage not found. Since we aren't using the system fully, I deleted the jobs, repositories, and all data. Then I recreated everything and now that job is running fine. Then today I had the exact same thing happen to another job. For now I am going to reactivate the backups on my old system, and call Veeam support tomorrow to troubleshoot further. In my case the backup disk data simply disappears. I rescan the repository and it completes saying 1 skipped. But no data appears. Since the storage is an Exagrid appliance, I can't easily view the file contents in the repository. We will see what support says.
applc
Influencer

Full Name: Chris A

Veeam Logoby applc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:10 pm

I opened a ticket with Veeam support. Case # 02007660. The Veeam engineer suspected it's possible the Exagrid unit may have changed the modified date on the .vbk file. But he admitted he wasn't entirely sure this was the cause. He asked for more logs, and left the ticket open. Nevertheless I will be working with Exagrid to investigate the possibility that it may have somehow modified the Veeam backup files. Moving forward, the Veeam engineer had me create a new job and start a whole new chain of backups for the failed job. He also showed me the original chain, and all the backup files, were still accessible if need be for restores.
applc
Influencer

Full Name: Chris A

Return to VMware vSphere