Veeam Virtual Appliance mode

VMware specific discussions

Re: Veeam Virtual Appliance mode

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:19 am

Hotadd works with both job types, it is just the way to retrieve VM data from the source datastore (no matter what you're going to do with these data further). However, in your case bottleneck is the write speed to the target storage, not the data retrieval speed, so to improve overall job performance you should look at your target. What is it and how it is added to Veeam B&R console (what type of repository)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jclancy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:10 pm

The repository is just the local storage on the veeam esxi. So i am backing up esxi1 vm's onto esxi2 where i host veeam inside a vm. So I can't use Virtual apliance mode beacuse veeam is not on the source server. So if I increase resources say more vcpu and memory to veeam proxy and the other veeam proxy I have installed on another vm on the source esxi will i see better results in speed?
jclancy
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Clancy

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:34 pm

jclancy wrote:So I can't use Virtual apliance mode beacuse veeam is not on the source server.

Since bottleneck is target, then virtual appliance (aka hot add) mode on the source host will not increase the performance.

jclancy wrote:So if I increase resources say more vcpu and memory to veeam proxy and the other veeam proxy I have installed on another vm on the source esxi will i see better results in speed?

I doubt that, as currently write rate to the storage is the bottleneck. To increase job performance you will need give more IOPs power to your target storage.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1106 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:47 pm

Also, please note that storing backups on VMFS is not considered the best practice.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jclancy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 am

After backups occur I copy them off to ext HD. Right now this is what I have. So If I replace the SAS drives say with 15K drives this will help with latency and over all performance. Just to make sure I am understanding VAM. To use VAM what is the best physical infrastructure to use when you have two exsi machines? Do I install veeam backup and default proxy on the source inside a veeam and then install a proxy on the target?
jclancy
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Clancy

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 am

jclancy wrote:To use VAM what is the best physical infrastructure to use when you have two exsi machines?

Do you mean hardware? The main bottleneck is usually storage performance, not matter what backup mode you use.
jclancy wrote:Do I install veeam backup and default proxy on the source inside a veeam and then install a proxy on the target?

For backup jobs - deploy virtual proxy server on the source host. For replication jobs - deploy proxy servers on both hosts, though even with single proxy on the source site data will be retrieved in hotadd (VAM) mode.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1106 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere