Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chrisknight
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Knight

veeam vmware tools quiescence sql server

Post by chrisknight »

I read someplace that I should not be using this option if I am running MS SQL server. Is this true? Also, can I simply un-check it in my jobs with no negative effect?

Thanks,
Chris
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: veeam vmware tools quiescence sql server

Post by tsightler »

In general you absolutely should use VSS with SQL, however, if you are using some method of transaction log backup for point-in-time recoveries you may wish to disable log truncation as allowing Veeam to truncate logs will interfere with these backups.
chrisknight
Influencer

Post by chrisknight »

I am using VSS as shown in this shot:

I'm talking about this option:
iffarrukh
Lurker
Full Name: Farrukh SUmair

Post by iffarrukh »

Hi

Generally in SQL I wont enable VMWARE tools quiescence as its not very efficient in case of SQL or Exchange or other high I/O applications. Enable Application-aware image processing is recommended and also best practices for consistency and it provides additional functionality preparing every VSS aware application for more stable quiescence. You may disable VMWARE tools quiescence it will not affect the backup for Windows Machines.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Chris, enable "application aware image processing" option whenever possible for Windows VMs, especially for SQL Server backups.
chrisknight
Influencer

Post by chrisknight »

Great, thank you for the info. I have 10 VM's all on the same domain. I have one backup job that will back up all 10 VM's and I have the area set up where I am entering domainname.local\administrator and the admin password specified in the backup job. I also have vmware tools quiescence enabled. Just trying to be clear here. I just wanted to make sure that it will be OK to disable the vmware tools quiescence on the backup job by unckecking it, which will disable it for all VM's, and that it wont effect the backup data, or backup job. I read that vmware tools quiescence freezes the VM's which is bad for SQL. Thanks a ton!

Chris
iffarrukh
Lurker
Full Name: Farrukh SUmair

Post by iffarrukh »

Disabling wont effect backups...
chrisknight
Influencer

Post by chrisknight »

Thank you all for the replies, and I apologize for beating this dead horse again... How many of you are using this option on your jobs that are backing up SQL or exchange? Why provide an option that "may" (?) damage databases?
Do I have my jobs set up wrong? Should I have 1 job backing up 9 servers that are DC, print, TS, etc... with this option on, and 1 job backing up SQL with this option off?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

chrisknight wrote:Why provide an option that "may" (?) damage databases?
This option is provided because it must be enabled for customers to be able to use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts to quiesce and resume application which do not support Microsoft VSS. Think legacy non VSS-aware apps, or apps running on Linux, Windows 2000, etc.
chrisknight wrote:Do I have my jobs set up wrong? Should I have 1 job backing up 9 servers that are DC, print, TS, etc... with this option on, and 1 job backing up SQL with this option off?
You can backup them all with one job with application-aware image processing option (from your screenshot) enabled. With AAIP enabled, VMware Tools quiescence will not be used regardless of how this option is set.
chrisknight
Influencer

Post by chrisknight »

Got it. Thank you everyone!