Veeam vs. vSphere Replication

VMware specific discussions

Re: Veeam vs. vSphere Replication

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:07 am

cffit wrote:Can someone update this thread with comparing VEEAM B&R v8 and the current VMware DRaaS offering? I'm currently trying to decide on one or the other and I think that there have been large changes on both sides since this thread was created and debated.

All Veeam changes can be found at the end of the 2nd page of the What's New for v8 document. As you will see, most of these features are unique to Veeam.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Mon May 11, 2015 4:43 am

So with the new Veeam Backup & Replication v8.0 patch 2, how does it compare with the VMware Site Recovery Manager combined with SAN based replication technology ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 19 times

[MERGED] SRM vs Veeam Replication

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:16 am

Hi

From reading this thread:
https://m.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/ ... plication/

The conclusion I've made is this:

Veeam replication, Pros = FREE, we can enable it tomorrow, simple to setup.
Cons= higher RPO, quirks that may require intervention. Performance hit because of snapshots.

Vmware SRM, Pros= lower RPO, seamless, SAN replication (or not), one button failover. Big knowledge base.
Cons = £3.5k per 25 protected VMs, potentially complex to configure. Requires SAN datastore redesign. Maybe consultancy to implement.

Its also my understanding that there is a host licensing consideration - in that with Veeam Replication, we can basically use our existing esxi licenses on the DR hosts so long as they aren't running any live VM's, but with SRM we'd need the DR hosts licensed so they can be part of SRM. Is that correct?

M
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:30 am

Mark, please review the thread above for some considerations regarding both solutions. Also, I'd like to note that starting Veeam B&R v8, you can leverage replication from backup that does not deal with snapshots of original VMs at all.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:47 am

Hi Foggy

I thought my post got deleted, and I found it here merged. Thanks.

I'm more interested in comparing SRM rather than vSphere Replication, but I'll read the thread.
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby rreed » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Resurrection, we're looking into this exactly right now. VBR vs. SRM (ABR). Management has been looking forward to SRM for some time here, but I've very recently gotten my feet wet w/ VBR Replication and love it's vast simplicity over SRM w/ ABR greatly. Plus we already own it. :wink: I need some good points to convince management that VBR is the way to go over SRM.

What's the latest please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Expert

Liked: 72 times

Veeam Logoby cjack03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 am

in the exact same situation as rreed, hoping for some new announcements tomorrow! finding real world example of VBR replication hard to come across when replicating over a handful of VMs. Anyone have experience they could share of replicating 100s of VMs with relatively low RPOs < 2hours?

thanks
cjack03
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Christopher

Veeam Logoby rreed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 pm

We've since been rolling along w/ VBR, mostly because of its simplicity vs. all the moving parts of SRM - that failed miserably the day I attempted to do a demo for our CIO and director - and all the additional things it can bring to the party over SRM. We're working out the networking side of things, which is not going to be trivial at all for us for two long-existing active/active data centers cross-replicating, but looking forward to when it's all settled and done and we're failing over VM's side to side.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Expert

Veeam Logoby cjack03 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks for the update rreed. How many VMs/total size will you be replicating and at what frequency, do you have any issues with the frequency of the snapshots?

I'm looking at about 50Vms/20TB and would like to do this every two hours, we can offload the snapshots to the storage but i'm still unsure about the impact on our production environment.
cjack03
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Christopher

Veeam Logoby rreed » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:10 pm 1 person likes this post

We're just recently getting started, and easing into it. We're also not large; around 50-75 VM's total, probably up to around 10TB idle storage but don't forget to take into consideration how many restore points you're keeping (two for us since we of course run nightly backups) and how much churn each VM makes will affect snapshot and therefore total storage size. Good point though, we're rolling along now and I do need to try to get a handle on how much we're cranking through.

So far we only replicate once at night, but I'd like to bump that up to twice w/ the second one at lunch time. In older versions of VMware (we're at v6 update 1 I think) we would have occasional impact from a snapshot that stunned a VM (usually a SQL server, of course) while the snapshot took a while to take, or just keep track of the deltas really chugged the storage (again, highly transactional VM's) and caused the phone to ring. Allegedly, they have really addressed that in v6. I dunno, I still hear the ghosts of those telephone screams back when I thought it was okay to run a quick backup during business hours as I type this. If you're talking about SAN snapshots, allegedly that is supposed to have more of a "guarantee" that it won't affect upwards to the datastore or especially VM level. Again, I dunno. I don't like my phone to ring because I clicked on something.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Expert

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere