Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthew Vaughan

[MERGED] Can't backup free ESXi?

Post by mcvosi »

When attempting to use Veeam B&R to backup my Cisco UC server VMs, running on ESXi I get a message about Veeam not being able to backup the free version? Any way around this???
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam with vSphere 5 Hypervisor (e.g. free ESXi) works..

Post by foggy »

No way around, free ESXi is not supported. Please review the thread for details.
frankinmunich
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Franj

Post by frankinmunich »

To add some more confusion to this thread:

I am using an ESXi 6.0 with the "free" HyperVisor license.

Creating backups from Veeam was possible with ESXi 5.5 and I believe, also after the upgrade to 6.0. At some point, after applying ESXi patches, the licensing error came up. I cannot say for sure where it stopped working.

The behavior doesn't seem to be very consistent. Whatever, I am going to uninstall Veaam now.

Regarding a vSphere license: how much is a basic ESXi license for one server? I am using my ESXi every day and have a couple of images that I cannot afford to lose - some of these environments involved quite some work to set them up. All that stuff is for private projects and learning/testing though, so no commercial usage and no budget that needs to be wasted.

I would even consider purchasing a license for a reasonable price which would then allow automated backups.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

frankinmunich wrote:Regarding a vSphere license: how much is a basic ESXi license for one server?
AFAIK, vSphere Essentials was the cheapest purchase so far.
adeleon
Lurker
Full Name: Alvaro

Post by adeleon »

veeam b&r 9.0 free version claims to be ESXi compatible ("... works perfectly with standalone ESXi or ..." as said in https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-b ... -free.html ).

However, whenever I try to backup a virtual machine, I get "Error: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation" . Does 9.0 effectively support ESXi or am I missing something? Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You're missing vSphere license. Only licensed hosts can be backed up, as mentioned above.
wild.lucifero
Lurker
Full Name: Michele

Post by wild.lucifero »

I'm getting the same error.
I'm sure that the vmware license key is OK. I just retyped it by copy and paste from the vmware download license page.
The wmware version is the 5.1. I didn't done any upgrades to vmware host. It was a normal installation from the 5.1 CD
The vmware 5.1 vsphere ESXi hypervisor has a (free) license and it is licensed for free.
I installed on a Windows 7/64 PC the Veeam Backup and Replication 9 with 30 days trial license key.
Thanks
Ciao!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Michele, as stated above, free ESXi version is not supported. You need a paid license.
wild.lucifero
Lurker
Full Name: Michele

Post by wild.lucifero »

I think there is some confusion. Or, better, I'm confused a lot.
I understood that ESXi should be the free version of vmware vsphere. Even if it stays free until you have for example one phisical cpu: with 2+ CPUs you must obtain a different license paying it.
So, even if the ESXi is free, it needs a license (for free). It means that veeam backup doesn't need a licensed vmware; veeam backup needs any paid version of vmware.
Veeam writes on their website that weeam backup free edition doesn't support the free version of vsphere.
But, what about the backup and recplication 9?(standard, enterprise and enterprise+)? I don't read anything, instad on the veeam free edition download page I read it doesn't support.

Really many thanks for your quick reply.
Ciao!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Certain DataProtection APIs are blocked in VMware free license, thus, neither free nor paid version of VB&R can work with such license. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

wild.lucifero wrote:It means that veeam backup doesn't need a licensed vmware; veeam backup needs any paid version of vmware.
Correct.
wild.lucifero wrote:I don't read anything, instad on the veeam free edition download page I read it doesn't support.
It is actually mentioned in multiple places, including user guide and licensing FAQ.
m.jaber
Lurker

[MERGED] Veeam 9.0 version 9.0.0.902 error backup esxi 6

Post by m.jaber »

hi all ,

i have upgrade my esxi from 5 to 6.0 and my veeam backup keep failed with below error

Processing SVR Error: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.

any idea please ?
menace
Lurker

[MERGED] VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5 with free license?!

Post by menace »

Hi,

I`m a bit confused about the Veeam VMware FAQ. The System Requirements tell ESXi is fully supported, but only in a (paid) licensed version.
I have a free ESXi 6.5 machine running, without vCenter or similar. When I downloaded the ESXi iso from the VMware website I got a license number with which I licensed the ESXi Server.

Am I able to use the Veeam Availability Suite with this machine to backup the VMs running on it?

kind regards
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5 with free license?!

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

The Free ESXi Hypervisor is unsupported as it states in the FAQ. You need a paid license.

Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
marcello.gambetti
Service Provider

[MERGED] offsite replica to free esxi with local disk space

Post by marcello.gambetti »

goodevening,
my situation is:
production site: vcenter with a couple of VMs and veeam server, proxy and repository all in one physical server.
dr site: free esxi host with local datastores.

i am using a replica job to replicate the VMs from prod to dr site, all fine, but i am a bit confused about where the "destination data mover" (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... 95#offsite) is located in my solution? is it the esxi itself? am i missing something?

thanks
Marcello
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community,

Using free ESXi as a target for replication is not supported, you need to obtain ESXi license for your DR site.

Destination datamover runs at Veeam target proxy. You can either assign the proxy role to any windows machine of your choice, or stick with the default one (Veeam Backup Server itself), however it is recommended to deploy target proxy as close to the target site as possible.

Thank you