Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

VeeamIR folder on datastore

Post by jcofin13 »

Veeam 11a

I have a vmfs datastore and on the file system i show there is a Folder named VeeamIR

It is empty. I assume this is something used for veeam instant recovery. Id like to get rid of this entire datastore as we are retiring this old storage device but thought i better ask about this folder before i unmount and remove it. I suspect maybe its an spot where an instant restore was done in the past but maybe never cleaned up.

I dont see any settings in veeam itself that specifies this folder at all. IM just not sure what it might be for.

Id hate to get rid of the storage and find out this is needed or a setting that was missed somewhere.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Re: VeeamIR folder on datastore

Post by jcofin13 »

I am guessing this VeeamIR folder isnt going to be an issue and may be something a colleague created at some point. I see no reference to it anywhere in veeam and had a look at another separate environment across all it's datastores and didnt see a VeeamIR folder so it must be junk. IM also guessing its not needed due to lack of responses here. If veeam needed a VeeamIR folder someone probably would have said something by now. :)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VeeamIR folder on datastore

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Likely it is from a started Instant Restore that is still running or already migrated.
If you select that the temporary storage is placed on the datastore, we create this folder there and place all write IOs there from the started VM.

If this folder is empty I can not see an issue in deleting this. If needed later we would just create this folder.

If the folder is not empty, I would open a support ticket to check with our team to see what data is in it and if it is from a running VM that you have started with Instant Restore.