Virtual lab questions

VMware specific discussions

Re: Virtual lab questions

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Paul, replication job will fail in case target (replica) VM is running at the moment when the job starts. Your scenario can be implemented with the help of additional monthly job or additional backup server and SureBackup/SureReplica functionality. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Understood foggy, thanks for the response.
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

[MERGED] manually create a surebackup environment

Veeam Logoby Fizzer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:51 am

Hi All,
We've been using surebackup to provide our Devs with copies of their systems in an isolated environment so they can test upgrades.

Typically this means we've had surebackup jobs running for several days at a time. mostly this works OK, but the nature of surebackup is that it's designed to be transient so you can't run any of the source backups or reboot the vcenter server without the surebackup shutting down. We've had accidental destruction of surebackup environments before and we're not popular when it happens!

What we REALLY like about surebackup is the helper vm which allows us to redirect network traffic into the SB environment; allowing us to to rdp the test servers and do easy file transfers.

Has anyone set anything up similar to these helper VMs which can route traffic like that into at test environment? If so, what do you use? how do you configure it?
Fizzer
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Braithwaite

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 am

Andy, look through the answers above, should give you some hints. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Fizzer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks Foggy, I think pfsense might help us out here. Our problem with surebackup is it's reliance on the vcenter service.

Does anyone know of a good pfsense 'getting started' post or a config which might work for us in this instance.

Thnx

Andy
Fizzer
Enthusiast

Full Name: Andy Braithwaite

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Fizzer wrote:Does anyone know of a good pfsense 'getting started' post or a config which might work for us in this instance.

You'll probably find something useful here. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] SureBackup - Keep Group Running

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi folks, just finished setting up SureBackup. With a little help from support, so quick shout out to the ultra-fast response on a priority 4 ticket (within hours... they must've had a quiet day, which is always good to hear!). In case I wasn't specific, I've been using SureBackup for less than an hour now, so my experience and knowledge of its capabilities are effectively zero.

I have a question, and I figure the community would be able to answer faster.

I would like to have two Domain Controllers backed up with separate jobs, within an application group. Said separate jobs have staggered schedules, meaning that only one of the DCs will be getting backed up at any given time.

I would then like for them to stay running indefinitely. When a linked job runs, it doesn't have to start the application group because it's already started. When a DC gets backed up, after the backup is done SB just restarts the DC from the latest backup (with the other DC remaining online and accessible). I have no idea how well Active Directory will handle that (the offline controller coming online with a greater USN and such) but I think it should be fine, given how mature AD is as a technology.

Another feature I'd like to request is DHCP relaying. I'd love to be able to relay DHCP requests through vNICs. Not sure if it can do this already, I'll find out soon. It looks like the only option it has though is for a built-in DHCP server (which asks for DNS... perhaps it'll only assign the current A-record?).

I'm wondering if it's possible to have the DCs "leapfrogging" each other like that.

Learning, testing, liking.
ekisner
Expert

Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Re: SureBackup - Keep Group Running

Veeam Logoby cramry » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 pm

I've thought about the surebackup job being able to be kept up and running as well for some of my virtual labs, would be a cool to know if that's possible. In all my experience trying, I can't get it to work, due to the surebackup job locking the application group's VM backup file while while it's running, therefore failing a backup job due to the file being locked and in use. Only way to unlock is to stop the surebackup job itself, which would then stop the lab. I just got upgraded to Enterprise + so I'm going to mess around with storage snapshots, maybe that could offer a solution, not sure though.
cramry
Novice

Re: SureBackup - Keep Group Running

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:38 pm

I agree.. it would be useful for rapid provision of test environments as well. Rapidly deploy SB as a development environment, give developers access to the VMs in the lab resource pool, and let them go to town. In that case though, automatically restarting the VM with the latest backup may not be desirable.

Regardless, unless retention cycles are wanting to delete backup content that your lab is presently trying to use, I don't see why it can't just use the specific restore point, regardless of what the backups want to do (since it is indeed read-only).
ekisner
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Erik, do you mean SureBackup job finishes even in case the original backup job is using simple forward incremental backup method (so doesn't need write access to previous restore points used by SureBackup)?

PS According to the original thread, your experience and knowledge of SureBackup should be a bit deeper. ;)
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Hah, well my "knowledge" and my "hey it would be cool if...." abilities are very different. I'm very good at asking for the moon. Knowing how to get it, however, very different ;)

We presently use reverse incrementals, purely for the sake of faster restores, but it would be quite simple for us to switch over to regular incrementals.

The way I see it, (asking for the moon and what-not):
1) Backup job 1 for DC1 starts, DC1 in SureBackup Lab is killed
2) When the backup completes, DC1 powers back on in the lab using the latest restore point
3) Backup job 2 for DC2 starts, DC2 in SureBackup Lab is killed
4) When the backup completes, DC2 powers back on in the lab using the latest restore point
5) When a linked job completes, the SB job which is still running (as the lab has the DCs in the app group running) queues up the newly backed up VMs and does what it presently does (validate the backups by powering them on) then powers the linked VMs off per usual operation.
ekisner
Expert

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere