Virtual lab questions

VMware specific discussions

Virtual lab questions

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

We are wanting to create a virutal lab for a file server test. I am adding a dc and the file server to an application group. My question is do i need to allocate enough storage in my destination datastore for the entire content of the vms or as the manual says just redo logs? If it is just redo logs then this must mean it is booting the vms off of my backup storage and running it from there like an instant recovery correct? With that being said if i have a backup that has a retention of 7 days and I am runnign that vm in my virutal labe then what happens? Will backups even work or does that lab lock the backup file? What if i want to keep the lab up for 10 days does it extend the retention of the backup? I apologize for so many questions but i am having a difficult time grasping this for some reason.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Re: Virtual lab questions

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:18 pm

jeremyh8 wrote:If it is just redo logs then this must mean it is booting the vms off of my backup storage and running it from there like an instant recovery correct?

Correct. And all disk writes are redirected to the vPower NFS storage.

jeremyh8 wrote:With that being said if i have a backup that has a retention of 7 days and I am runnign that vm in my virutal labe then what happens? Will backups even work or does that lab lock the backup file? What if i want to keep the lab up for 10 days does it extend the retention of the backup? I apologize for so many questions but i am having a difficult time grasping this for some reason.

Backup job will automatically stop any running SureBackup jobs which are locking the backup files that it needs to update. So, backup jobs will always complete fine. If you need to keep a lab for a long time, you could deploy a separate Veeam B&R server, copy backup files to it, import them there, and run required SureBackup jobs permanently.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

So for long term virtual labs i would need a different backup server only correct? I could still use the same storage which is attached to a physical proxy machine? On the physcial proxy i would just copy the last full backup to a folder called e:\virtlab\ then i would import that on a different b&r server and all should be good? i really apprecate your help!
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Yes, you got it correct.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Well i tried the above scenario and i am having an issue.
1. Tried to start surebackup job. I get the following. Fail Error: Client error: File does not exist. File: [Bkp_Jax_pool0_daily_012012-08-14T180054.vbk].
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].
2. I verified that this is the backup file i imported.
3. It works without issue if i import the orignal bakckups but my copes it does not like. what am i doing wrong?
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Could you please send the entire SB debug log to our support team for further investigation?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:49 pm

I ended up recopying the backups and it worked this time. well i atleast got farther! Still trying :)
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Long term dev lab

Veeam Logoby jg159357 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Good morning,

We have a group of developers working on our financial software. They currently have a development system that has gotten very out of sync with our live environment. We have a request to give them a live copy to do development on. Using sure backup I was able to create a virtual lab (with the isolation that lets me sleep at night), but it was only able to run until the next backup was taken. Is there a way to flag a restore as a long term recovery? If I do a vmotion of the "recovered" machines and power on the proxy machine would that work?

What are other people doing for creating labs of their live environments?

-Jeff
jg159357
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi Jeff,
I usually create pre-emptively a small firewall appliance (I use pfSense, but any firewall distro is ok) acting as a double nat system just like the virtual lab appliance does, connected to a new dedicated portgroup.
Then, I simply restore all the needed VMs, give them a different name then the production copies, and after restore I change the network connection to the lab portgroup. If somebody needs their new VMs in no time, I simply restore them via instant recovery instead of normal restore, and then I storage vmotion them in a production storage.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby jg159357 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 pm

dellock6 wrote:Hi Jeff,
I usually create pre-emptively a small firewall appliance (I use pfSense, but any firewall distro is ok) acting as a double nat system just like the virtual lab appliance does, connected to a new dedicated portgroup.
Then, I simply restore all the needed VMs, give them a different name then the production copies, and after restore I change the network connection to the lab portgroup. If somebody needs their new VMs in no time, I simply restore them via instant recovery instead of normal restore, and then I storage vmotion them in a production storage.

Luca.

Do you create copies of your DCs as well? Do you give the restored machines access to the internet? How do you make sure they cannot talk to the real machines?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a fair bit of extra work for something that Veeam already does fairly well for short time periods.
jg159357
Novice

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:32 pm

You are right, but there are sometimes areas of the datacenter where I do not want to connect Veeam, and the mini firewall works even if I lost Veeam server.
And yes I restore DCs for testing so I can then simply delete them without writing anything on my production AD.
For real DR purposes, I usually have DCs replicated via AD, but I do not play at all with those....

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:37 pm

jg159357 wrote:Is there a way to flag a restore as a long term recovery? If I do a vmotion of the "recovered" machines and power on the proxy machine would that work?

No, that's not possible, so I would recommend to follow either Luca's advice or foggy's approach:
foggy wrote:If you need to keep a lab for a long time, you could deploy a separate Veeam B&R server, copy backup files to it, import them there, and run required SureBackup jobs permanently.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

[MERGED ]SureBackup Sandbox

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Is a surebackup job with the "leave running" checkbox checked supposed to terminate itself when a backup job runs on an associated VM?

If so, I'd like to submit that it should have the option of either mutexing out the jobs (within building the vlab for example) or even better, running it off of the existing backup without killing the vlab.

It was probably in the documentation and I just didn't see it, but sadly I just lost a day of testing after my surebackup job shut down the entire vlab overnight. My fault for not reading, but it does bring up an interesting possibility for a new feature (as described above).
ekisner
Expert

Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Veeam Logoby jg159357 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Yeah I was surprised the first time i saw it too. It does make a little sense depending on how your backups are being done; if you're running off of a full that the system thinks it needs to convert to a reverse backup what happens? Maybe a way to flag a certain backup each day/week/month as a lab source so the system could do preparation to use that file in the future?

I'll +1 for having an option to do a long-term lab from backups, but I have moved on to just doing a full restore for now.
jg159357
Novice

[MERGED] Any suggestions/solutions for keeping a longer runn

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Given a scenario where an entire set of VMs are replicated daily to a DR site, we know we can "put the replicas to work" by spinning them up at the DR site & doing testing etc.

What I'm not sure of is whether some of these replicas can be kept running (and still have their replicas updated) longer-term?

The problem I'm trying to solve is to keep a Dev version of 3 VMS (DC, App & SQL) running for, say, 1 month, after which time it'll be re-seeded/replace by a fresh copy of the live VMs. Logically, I'd say it can revert to a snapshot of some sort but I can't see how things would work between replciation snapshots.

Hey, if you don't ask you don't get :)

Paul
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Next

Return to VMware vSphere