Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

VMware specific discussions

Re: Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi,

Is it safe to just consolidate the snapshots during production?
It is generally safe, however if the VM requires intensive I/O, a performance degradation may happen.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 247 times

[MERGED] Consolidation snapshot needed alarm

Veeam Logoby bgalante » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi,
I have a VM with a snapshot that's a month old, there is a "VEEAM TEMP SNAPSHOT" that is stuck in the mix that occurred after the said snapshot.

Vsphere produced an alarm that a vm consolidation is needed. I tried to run a consolidation, it failed due to "Downtime exceeded 12 seconds".

It looks like I can go into vsphere and do a "delete all snapshots" which I have not tried yet.

Do you think it's safe to go into vsphere and do the delete all snapshots with a VEEAM TEMP Snapshot present?
bgalante
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian Galante

Re: Consolidation snapshot needed alarm

Veeam Logoby ACC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 am

If there are no Veeam backups running then yes its safe to delete the snapshot, however given the fact that the snapshot is month old i would recommend deleting it outside working hours. For one its takes a lot of IOs to merge the snapshot(s) back into the base disk and two you could end up with downtime of the VM when the stun occurs in the merge, this downtime can take some time if the storage isnt able to perform the merge fast.
ACC
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Re: Consolidation snapshot needed alarm

Veeam Logoby ACC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 am

If youre using hotadd also check the proxy/proxies that there arent any disks still connected to the proxy. If so disconnect those disks or the snapshot consolidation will fail.
ACC
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Re: Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:59 am

Brian, running a production VM on the 1 month snapshot cannot be considered as best practice. If it is an orphaned VM snapshots, then consolidate it outside business hours (as ACC says). On a side note, what vSphere and Veeam B&R are you at? BTW, do you have Veeam ONE installed that monitors all stalled VM snapshots?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere