Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jmartin38134
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: james martin

VM Instance Recovery Setup

Post by jmartin38134 »

Where can I find details instructions for setting up the ability to execute a VM Instant Recovery? I've seen reference to the need to configure "VMKernel" but that's all I have found. We use FC SAN for VMware stoage and don't presently have any NFS datastores. Is there a setup document for Instance Restore or how it works?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM Instance Recovery Setup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

Actually this is all you need to do, see our sticky F.A.Q. and User Guide page (39, 174) for further details.

Thanks!
jmartin38134
Novice

Post by jmartin38134 »

OK. I didn't actually see any statement that the host must be ESXi except for that each time a host reference it is referenced as "ESX(i)". I get it to work fine with the ESXi host but not the ESX host. A ESXi host is a requirement, correct?
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley » 2 people like this post

James,

IVMR (and all the vPower restores) require that Veeam can configure itself as a new NFS datastore on the host you choose in the wizard. With that in mind, a VMKernel portgroup is the only requirement because that's what VMware uses to add a NFS datastore.

The "( )" used in ESX(i) in our wizards actually means ESX or ESXi. Yes both will work. It's like saying you have ESX host(s) :mrgreen:

ESXi works out the box usually because the management portgroup is already a VMKernel portgroup. ESX uses the Service Console for mgt and you have FC storage - you don't have a VMKernel portgroup on your ESX host(s). VMotion is probably your only VMKernel but that is probably not reachable from Veeam - I'm assuming.

If you added a VMKernel portgroup to your vSwitch with your Service Console and gave it an ip address then you'd be good to go - assuming the new VMKernel portgroup is reachable to Veeam (ping the interface from the Veeam server). You'll have to do this for each host you want to use vPower stuff.

Some people add a new vSwitch and use different NICs than the MGT vSwitch (regardless of ESX or ESXi) for the new VMKernel portgroup. Some people add a route to the existing VMotion VMKernel. It's up to you and what's best for your architecture and network / security.
jmartin38134
Novice

Post by jmartin38134 »

Thanks. I understand now and have got this functioning. Great feature.