Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
eltonhsu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Elton Hsu

[MERGED] Full backup after a host joining vCenter?

Post by eltonhsu »

Hi,
I've tried to look through the help pages and forum threads and couldn't find an answer to this, so I'm posting it here. If it's been answered before, please point me the direction.
I have backup jobs created for different VMs on a host when it was standalone but now joined in vCenter. What I've done after the joining was to remove and re-add each VMs in those jobs and save the jobs again.
When the backup jobs run, it appears to be all full backups instead of continuing with the usual incremental backups.

Am I missing something? Or is this normal? Full backup is forced after joining and leaving vCenter? Any possibility to avoid this?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM moved to new vCenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Elton,

In your case full backup of the VM is expected, since this VM has changed its ID and now is treated as a new VM by both vCenter Server and therefore by Veeam B&R.

Thanks!
eltonhsu
Novice
Full Name: Elton Hsu

Post by eltonhsu »

Hi Vitaliy,
Thanks for the direction and quick reply!
So this means even if any existing backed up VM receives a new ID, mapping its previous backup will make VBR treat it as the same VM?
From what I can see, the mapping backups only shows "job" level, not "backup file" level. So, how can I be sure the mapping is done "correctly" at the point where the job is updated? I certainly would not prefer to find out in the morning that all jobs actually ran "full" when "incremental" was expected.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

eltonhsu wrote:So this means even if any existing backed up VM receives a new ID, mapping its previous backup will make VBR treat it as the same VM?
Not exactly, mapping should be used when you, for example, would like to continue your existing backup chain with a new job etc, however if the VM receives new ID, then it will be treated as a new object.
From what I can see, the mapping backups only shows "job" level, not "backup file" level. So, how can I be sure the mapping is done "correctly" at the point where the job is updated? I certainly would not prefer to find out in the morning that all jobs actually ran "full" when "incremental" was expected.
In your case full VM backup will be performed.
iwik
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by iwik »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Not exactly, mapping should be used when you, for example, would like to continue your existing backup chain with a new job etc, however if the VM receives new ID, then it will be treated as a new object.
Oh this is very sad, that full backup need to be done. I don't have space for two full backups. Whole mapping is then useless. Is there some other solution? I'm migrating from windows vcenter to appliance...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is there some other solution?
After migration to a new vCenter disable all existing jobs, open a ticket with our support team, and let them correct product db, using the tool discussed in this thread. Thanks.
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

[MERGED] New Full backups required after ESXi host upgrade

Post by guitarfish »

I did a host software upgrade from VMware ESXi 5.5 to 6.0. This host has 5 VMs which are backed up by Veeam B&R 9. After the upgrade, the backup jobs produced the error “The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.” I edited the backup jobs, clicked through without making any changes, hit Finish. Then the jobs ran, however they did full backups, not incrementals.

When my Backup Copy jobs ran, they didn’t see any changes and nothing was copied. Presumably it viewed the full backup as a different VM. I recreated the Backup Copy jobs, mapping them to the same cloud repository/location as before. The jobs ran but again, full backups are being copied to the cloud, which is very slow. It will take a few days for all this copying to complete.

How does one upgrade an ESXi host while retaining the ability to continue incrementals in the backup chain? I have several more ESXi 5.5 hosts that I need to upgrade to 6.0, and this scenario is a painstaking mess.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you re-registered the host in VI during the upgrade procedure?
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

After the upgrade procedure I needed to use the "Reconnect" option in vCenter so it would see the host again. One thing I've noticed since my previous post is that 4 of the 5 VMs on this host did full backups, but one got away with an incremental, and also an incremental to the cloud repository.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

So it was an in-place upgrade? It could be something else that could result in moref ID change for these VMs.
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

Yes, an in-place upgrade. I just read this entire thread. First, there seems to be some confusion about what "map backup" does. It doesn't negate the need for a full backup in many cases, although posts in this and other threads I've read sometimes claim it does.

That aside, being forced to run full backups locally for all jobs after a move or upgrade doesn't bother me so much. The real problem is having to copy all these full backups to the cloud. This process will take a week at least, and that includes copying during the workday, which really slows down internet speeds for everyone. I am really disappointed with this limitation.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Full VM data will be read after re-adding the VMs and mapping the job to existing backups. However, you can ask support for assistance in matching the old VM ID's to the new ones in Veeam B&R database to avoid it.
geofftx
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] MoRefs, vCenter inventory changes and Veeam

Post by geofftx »

Has VBR 9 learned to tolerate removing and re-adding a VM from vCenter without losing the backup chain?

In previous versions Veeam relied on MoRefs to identify a VM, and every time you remove and re-add a VM in vCenter the MoRef changes, breaking the backup chain. (Veeam sees it a s new VM.) I see there's now a "Unique Key" field in the bObjects table - any chance this is persisting a VM across vCenter inventory removes/adds and replacing the MoRef as a unique identifier?

Short version - I need a way to preserve backup chains after removing and re-adding a VM in vCenter. I've done it in prior versions by manually updating the DB with the new MoRefs after the re-add, but I've never been comfortable doing it this way.

Geoff
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Re: MoRefs, vCenter inventory changes and Veeam

Post by EugeneK »

Hi Geoff,

I don't believe this behavior changed anyhow, still relies on MoRef ID.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: [MERGED] MoRefs, vCenter inventory changes and Veeam

Post by foggy »

geofftx wrote:I've done it in prior versions by manually updating the DB with the new MoRefs after the re-add, but I've never been comfortable doing it this way.
Geoff, now you can ask support for assistance in VM ID matching.
geofftx
Enthusiast

Post by geofftx »

Thanks Foggy, I'll open a ticket and get their help this time.
brichardson1991_obk
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Ben Richardson

[MERGED] Replica digest - New vCenter

Post by brichardson1991_obk »

Hi all,

We've changed one of our vcentres from appliance to windows, same name and ip etc

When going through all the jobs i made sure the jobs correlated to the old job.

When doing a replication should it be doing a full calculation of digests for each hard disk?
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Replica digest - New vCenter

Post by foggy »

Ben, this solely depends on whether VM IDs have changed during vCenter migration (specifically, whether VMs and their replicas were registered in vCenter anew).
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

Re: Replica digest - New vCenter

Hi Alexander,

The vCenter was setup from scratch, however the VM's and replica's are still in the same places as before and on the same hosts/datastores etc.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

On registration in new vCenter VM IDs change resulting in a full VM data read during the next job run (provided VMs were added via vCenter). You can ask support for assistance in matching IDs in Veeam B&R database, though.
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

I've opened a ticket under : 01802200
leeg123
Enthusiast
Full Name: lee garet

[MERGED] request utility to map backups

Post by leeg123 »

I was planning on upgrading / moving some VMs around between different hosts. In the past, when we did so, i discovered that once the VM is moved into a different host, the internal ID would change, and Veeam would create a new backup (full) for each VM that was moved. Reading though the forum, it seems that veeam has a utility that i can "borrow" that will allow me to edit the backup job, and remap the job to the sane VM / with its new ID, keeping veeam from creating a new backup for that particular VM
Is this something that i can download, or will i need to open an support ticket and request?

thank you

lee
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you need to open a case to get assistance with this. Thanks.
mingji
Service Provider
Full Name: MJ

Post by mingji »

Same situation here, replaced vCenter, VM IDs have changed too. Case # 01815621
Need help T_T
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Stop all existing jobs and wait until support team apply the migration utility. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Support has issued a dedicated KB with instructions on using the vCenter migration utility, so everybody looking for VM ID matching can do it by themselves (of course, contacting support in case additional assistance is required is not forbidden).
tntteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: tntteam

Post by tntteam » 1 person likes this post

Hi there,

I'm here to provide feedback and I wish I seen this link to migration utility earlier !! :)

So we were on windows vcenter 5.1 and migrated to vcsa 6.0 u2
In veeam, here is the steps I followed :

- add new vcenter in infrastructure
- update jobs per jobs : 1) remmember which folders are saved, 2) remove them, 3) re add them using the new vcenter, 4) do the same for exclusion list
- remove old vcenter from inventory

Here you go, it worked, except I lost cbt (or whatever is giving incremental information ) so I ended with an incremental backup (but size of this incremental = size of full) of all our VMs the same night (and ran out of disk space) and backup ended way after backup window.
All in all, this went ok except the lost incremental data, but at least no broken backup chain. Maybe the utility can fix that.
Morat
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Upgraded to new vCSA - can I point my backup jobs t

Post by Morat »

Hi folks,
as per title really, I've just upgraded frm VMWare 5.5 to 6.0 and I'd like to point my existing backup and copy jobs at the new vCSA.
I've read up, but I've only found information for Veeam <8.0
Has there been any change in Veeam or will I have to recreate my backup jobs? (I'm a little low on storage for that to be easy right now).
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In case it is a completely new vCenter installation, VM IDs will change and, nothing new with v9, you will need to either perform ID matching or cope with full backups. Please see above for details.
Carko
Novice

Post by Carko »

Does the refenced ID Migration tool work in the same way if the VMs were previously added directly via hosts, but now we want to re-add them to Veeam via the vCenter?