VM moved to new vCenter

VMware specific discussions

Re: VM moved to new vCenter

Veeam Logoby tinto1970 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:40 pm

yes: it works.
By doing so, the task " Collecting disk files location data " is executed and, once again, it retieves data from storage snapshots
Alessandro Tinivelli aka Tinto
@tinto1970
tinto1970
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Alessandro Tinivelli

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Then, it might be worth proceeding and making the same changes for all existing jobs. Most likely changes done by custom utility lead to job inability to leverage the given processing mode, and jobs recreation is needed. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby deesloop » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:23 am

This didn't work for me and the only way to resolve it was to create all new jobs.
Very time consuming and a real disappointment.
deesloop
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Darren Slupek

Veeam Logoby tinto1970 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 am

v.Eremin wrote:Then, it might be worth proceeding and making the same changes for all existing jobs. Most likely changes done by custom utility lead to job inability to leverage the given processing mode, and jobs recreation is needed. Thanks.

i did so.
Cloning the old jobs, deleting the old ones and and mapping the new ones to the files has worked
@tinto1970
tinto1970
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am 2 people like this post

Thank you, so, some manual efforts such as job re-creation and job mapping might be needed in case infrastructure using backup from storage snapshots is migrated to new vCenter server.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby tinto1970 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:57 am

yes, it could be worth the case to add some line in the vCenter Migration Tool Documentation.
This behaviour is not immediately evident if the jobs have enabled the "failover to standar backup", because backups still work, but loose the advantages of storage integration.
Luckily i like to double check things ;)

As mentioned before, performing a clone of the job, deleting the old one and mapping new job to the old files is fast to be done, and ensure that new job has exactly the same setting of the former one.

P.S.: It's also a good idea to try a restore, after all this work 8)
@tinto1970
tinto1970
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Bad/failed vCenter Server Appliance-Backup chain im

Veeam Logoby eltonhsu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 am

Hello,
I have a bad/failed vCenter Server Appliance which I could no longer access from vSphere client, web client or Veeam.
My question is if I reinstall the appliance, would it break the backup chain once I add, or re-authenticate the server back to Veeam? I intend to keep the same server name, domain(actually AD) and the same AD account and password.

Thanks,
Elton
eltonhsu
Novice

Full Name: Elton Hsu

Re: Bad/failed vCenter Server Appliance - Backup chain impac

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:42 am

Hi Elton,

Yes, all VMs IDs will be changed to new ones (assigned by the new vCenter Server). You will need to re-map all existing backup files to the new VMs.

P.S. maybe a workaround in this topic will help, please take a look at the last 2 pages.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1098 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Rebuilding vCenter Server

Veeam Logoby sconley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:53 pm

I am likely going to have to rebuild our primary vCenter server due to OS issues. If I re-map all of our production jobs to the new server what can I expect? I am assuming/hoping this does not trigger full backups. Will it mean that I can expect a longer backup window on the initial run as it will have to do a full scan of all the VM disks?
sconley
Enthusiast

Full Name: Sean Conley

Re: Rebuilding vCenter Server

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:54 pm

If you rebuild the server but keep the original vCenter database, you shouldn't have an issue. But if you're starting everything over from scratch, then all VMs will have new IDs so by default the next run will be a full backup. However if you contact support they could help you modify the IDs in the VBR database to match what's in the new vCenter database so that you continue the existing chains. I believe there's also a script that can help you do this.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 pm

v.Eremin wrote:Thank you, so, some manual efforts such as job re-creation and job mapping might be needed in case infrastructure using backup from storage snapshots is migrated to new vCenter server.

Hi Vladimir,

So which backup method can be done to backup VM quicker after the VCenter rebuild?

My current VMs are now backed up using the hotadd method and it is very slow due to the CBT reset.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 19 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 10, 2017 1:39 pm

It's not down to the transport mode, but to the fact that entire VM has to be re-read after CBT reset.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Wed May 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi Alex,
So in this case, there is now way to get around it or reduce the backup window due to CBT reset ?
--
albertwt
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 pm 1 person likes this post

If it's due to the fact that VMs have changed their IDs, the only way is to perform ID matching in Veeam B&R database prior the first job run after the change, using the tool discussed in this thread. In case your jobs are already running, just wait for the completion, the next run will use CBT as usual.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Wed May 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Ok,

I have re added the VM backup to the existing backup job, so if I run the script, does the incremental will continue from before I deploy the new VCenter server ?
--
albertwt
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere