VM moved to new vCenter

VMware specific discussions

Re: VM moved to new vCenter

Veeam Logoby GabesVirtualWorld » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 pm

I indeed missed that. Thank you !!! Will work with this in a test environment.
GabesVirtualWorld
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

[MERGED] VCenter Rebuild - Will it do full backup or increme

Veeam Logoby cainef » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 am

Hi All,
I am in a situation where I have had to rebuild our vCenter 5.1 update 1c installation from scratch.
The name, IP address and credentials for the vCenter server are the same, however I have had to add the ESXi hosts back manually and configure.

I logged into Veeam 6.5 and done a rescan, and can connect to storage and see all of the servers without issue.

I have looked through the forums and have seen posts where the fix for people who have upgraded or rebuilt is to remove the VMs from the jobs and add them back mapping to the backup file.

If I do this when the next backup is run, will it do a full or an incremental?

We have several large backup jobs some of which can take up to 24 hours for a full backup to complete - fine for a Friday, but it is Monday here and I dread the thought of a snaphot rolling up during business hours - particularly the mail server. This has happened before and ground the server to a halt for several hours.

I have seen this http://www.interworks.com/blogs/ijahanshahi/2012/04/19/how-fix-veeam-6-object-%E2%80%98server%E2%80%99-not-found-error-vmware and was wondering whether it was an option?

I have logged a support case 00478634, but thought I'd check here as well.

Thanks
cainef
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: [MERGED] VCenter Rebuild - Will it do full backup or inc

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:21 am

cainef wrote:If I do this when the next backup is run, will it do a full or an incremental?

Only incremental changes will be copied over in this case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby VladV » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Sorry if I'm wrong but doesn't the MorefID of the VMs change when you re-add the host with the running VMs back into vCenter.

In my case, when I reinstalled our vCenter, even if I kept the jobs, Veeam processed the VMs as "new" and added the VMs along the "old" ones (even if they are the same) with the same name. After the retention period for removed VMs expired, it deleted the "old" ones and the "new" ones remained.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Regards
VladV
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Vlad, have you mapped the jobs to the previously existed backup files?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby VladV » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Yes. But this was about 2 months ago.

This I think is normal because it is practically a different VM once it has a different id. So once you map it you just tell the job that you are adding a new vm alongside the existing one thus it creates an incremental file vib eith the dimension of the full backup.

I am now in the same situation of reinstalling our vcenter to have a clean state for 5.5 so once I remove an esxi and add it to the new vcenter with it's running vms I will have the chance to test my previous statement.
VladV
Expert

Veeam Logoby VladV » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 pm

viewtopic.php?t=10540#p45847

It seems that Vitaliy encountered the same issue.
VladV
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Correct, with forward incremental backup mode, first increment after the ID change will have size comparable to the full.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] vCenter Server Appliance Upgrade / Replacement

Veeam Logoby resruss » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

Hi all,

We've got a setup running Veeam B&R 6.5, vSphere 5.0 U1 and vCenter Server Appliance 5

We're about to do a host upgrade to 5.1 U1c, which means upgrading vCSA prior to doing so
These are done by firing up a new appliance and putting them both in upgrade mode, the new vCSA assumes the identity of the old one

From 5.0.x to 5.1 is supposedly a challenging upgrade, so I've got a couple of options, one of which being just setup 5.1.x as a new vCSA and moving the vSphere hosts to it

Just wanting to confirm a couple of things from the Veeam side of things:

If I were to create a new vCenter and move the hosts to it, I'm assuming the VMIDs would change for each guest that's being backed up
Is there any way to retain the existing backups, via map backups or similar?
If the vCenter was created as new and had a different hostname, is there a way to change the targeted vCenter within Veeam to allow the existing backup jobs to be retained?

Does Veeam v7 have any more capabilities that may assist me here, if it does, it may be worth an upgrade

Has anybody else done the vCSA upgrade form 5.0.x to 5.1.x and had any issues / got any tips that may help things run smoothly if I choose the upgrade route?
resruss
Service Provider

Liked: 6 times

Re: vCenter Server Appliance Upgrade / Replacement

Veeam Logoby resruss » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

One question I forgot to ask too, if I actually had to delete the backups from disk and backup jobs from Veeam, and recreate with the same job names, how would I ensure Veeam uses the existing directories for new backups?

It's important for copying to tape
resruss
Service Provider

Re: [MERGED] vCenter Server Appliance Upgrade / Replacement

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:32 am

Russel, please look through the discussion above. You existing jobs and backups will be retained, you will however need to re-add VMs into jobs and map them to the existing backup files. The first run after that will require reading of full VM data.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby VladV » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:19 pm

When you re-import the VMs into the new VCSA, Veeam considers them as being different VMs with the same name. So then you have to remove the old VMs from the job and add the new one in, then map to the old backup file. When doing this you will have two VMs in the same backup file with the same name. The old one will be considered deleted and will have the retention policy of deleted VMs.

Also take into consideration that besides Veeam having to read the full VM data it will also create an incremental file (or vbk file if the day of the backup coincides with the day of fulls) as large as the full backup of the respective new VM.

To keep it simple it's like adding a new VM into an existing job and removing the existing VM, thus on the next backup run you will have a full backup sized VIB. I believe that you don't even have to map the backup but I don't remember exactly how I've done in the past.
VladV
Expert

Re: vCenter Server Appliance Upgrade / Replacement

Veeam Logoby VladV » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:21 pm

resruss wrote:One question I forgot to ask too, if I actually had to delete the backups from disk and backup jobs from Veeam, and recreate with the same job names, how would I ensure Veeam uses the existing directories for new backups?

It's important for copying to tape

Test on a small job or, better yet, delete the old backup JOB folders (they should be empty once you remove the backups from the disk). It should recreate them as you run the job.
VladV
Expert

Veeam Logoby resruss » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:56 pm

foggy wrote:Correct, with forward incremental backup mode, first increment after the ID change will have size comparable to the full.

I assume the same goes for VRB?

Just to be 100% clear, there's no way we can map the old VM ID to the new one?
The full backups take up quite a large amount of space and as another user posted above, it's Monday, I'd rather be doing this on a Friday so snapshot commit happens over the weekend.
resruss
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:40 am

I don't think that with reversed incremental you will have a space issue, as all blocks from the old VM will be deduped with a new one. See this topic for further info > viewtopic.php?t=10540#p45927
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere