Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Stephenv
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen

VMware Horizon Workspace

Post by Stephenv »

i am looking to back up our Horizon workspace.
i looked at the Best Practices guide, ugh.
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/hw10-backup-b ... ctices.pdf

one thing i noticed is the 4 of the 5 virtual machines are running from a snapshot.
i guess this is by design.

i would like to use Veeam instead to back it up like the rest of our network.

Stephen
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Re: VMware Horizon Workspace

Post by scott.anderson »

Stephen,

just ensure that the Safe removal of snapshots option is NOT checked on the backup jobs Advanced Settings. That will leave the Horizon "native" snapshots alone.

Also make sure the Guest Processing VSS and indexing as switched off for these machines.

I'd normally do them as a separate job from say a job that does your Windows servers as most of the options you want switched on for Windows server you need to switch off for the Horizon Linux appliances.

Scott
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Stephen.

I’m wondering whether you’re trying to backup VMs that have been created using VMware Horizon View or just Horizon VMs itself.

In case of VMs created via Horizon, please be aware that VMware Horizon View is nothing but a VMware View successor and it’s still not possible to backup linked clones.

Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also, it's basically useless to backup linked clones in a View / Horizon environment. You only need to backup the "golden images" of every pool, and from here after a restore simply recompose the entire pool. Obviously, all the personal data of the users need to be saved externally of these linked clones, for example by using profile redirection towards a file server.
Problems can arise if the design involves the use of linked clones without a floating pool, but instead a dedicated pool...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Stephenv
Influencer

Post by Stephenv »

Dellock6, Eremin,

this is NOT View :) this is a different product of theirs. one of the features of this product is a dropbox, box.net type programs that run locally.
https://www.vmware.com/products/desktop ... rview.html

Stephen
Stephenv
Influencer

Post by Stephenv »

scott.anderson wrote:Stephen,

just ensure that the Safe removal of snapshots option is NOT checked on the backup jobs Advanced Settings. That will leave the Horizon "native" snapshots alone.

Also make sure the Guest Processing VSS and indexing as switched off for these machines.

I'd normally do them as a separate job from say a job that does your Windows servers as most of the options you want switched on for Windows server you need to switch off for the Horizon Linux appliances.

Scott

Scott,

I was already doing this. i just wish i could use CBT, however because the VM's are running from a snapshot you cant run CBT.

Stephen
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

Hi Stephen,

Yup that's about right. Which is OK for 4 of the 5 va's as their not that big and don't change that much anyway. Sucks on the data-va though.

Scott
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Oh, my bad, I’ve mixed up Horizon Workspace with Horizon View.

I’m wondering whether these VMs running on the snapshot by default (as installation requirement), or these snapshots have been created manually by you. There reason I’m asking is that the users commonly misinterpret the statement regarding CBT and snapshot presence.

CBT can’t be enabled on the machine that's had already a snapshot. However, if CBT has been enabled first either manually or by 3-party application, then the snapshot is taken, and after that you start using Veeam as a backup solution, it will be able to successfully use CBT without any issues, etc.

Thanks.
Stephenv
Influencer

Post by Stephenv »

the Snapshot is done by the appliance not by me. i did not create any of the snapshots, if you try and manage a snap shot you get this error.

This entity is managed by solution Horizon-Workspace VC Extension. it is not recommended to modify it directly. Instead use the management console for the solution if you want to make changes.

do you want to proceed?

then an OK box or cancel.

Stephen
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, it seems that the usage of Veeam proprietary mechanism (that is being leveraged now), instead of CBT, is the only option you have. Thanks.