Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
msidnam
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: ME

VMWare Tools Quiescense on Ubuntu

Post by msidnam »

Hello Everyone,
I'm hoping that some of you might have a similiar setup as me in regards to backing up and replicating Linux (specifically Ubuntu) server.

Currently we have about 10 ubuntu servers. While we have different services on each, they mostly will have a combo of Apache, mysql, couchdb and tomcat.

I have enabled the VMWare Tools Quiescense so that it runs a pre-freeze and post-thaw script. In those scripts we have a program called monit that will stop all services, then restart them. LAtely we have been having an issue with Tomcat restarting.

My main question is: Do i need to stop and start all services or only those that need to be consistent like mysql and couchdb? Am I wasting time stopping and restarting all services?

since these are production machines hosting web pages and databases we need them to be up as much as possible.

Is anyone doing anything similiar?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VMWare Tools Quiescense on Ubuntu

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mike,

I don't believe you have to stop all services on the VMs being backed up, as most of our existing customers are using scripts for critical applications only:
http://forums.veeam.com/search.php?st=p ... ipts+mysql

Thanks!
msidnam
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: ME

Post by msidnam »

Thank you for the link. The white paper i found in one of the posts helps.

One issue we seem to have is that the post-thaw script gets fired off before our pre-freeze script finishes. in our pre-freeze script we have a command to wait 20 seconds before ending. However, it seems as though the post-thaw script gets executed about 10 seconds or so after it executes the pre-freeze.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Why not to add a sleep command to the post-thaw script then?