Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

VMware Tools - vSphere 6

Post by J1mbo »

In one particular simple environment, three Dell hosts with internal storage running Essentials and another host elsewhere for replicas. Veeam is running fine for backup and replication, however 2008R2 guests have continual problems with the VMware Tools service hanging or failing to complete VSS snapshots.

This appears to be a VMware problem since even just creating a snapshot fails (service hung or did not respond type messages), however it causes the Veeam processes to fail for those VMs.

I'm interested to hear similar experiences, work arounds etc, perhaps some way for Veeam to re-try crash-state (ignore the quiesce on failure) would be useful.

Many thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VMware Tools - vSphere 6

Post by foggy »

Hi James, you can configure Veeam B&R jobs to ignore application-aware processing failures in advanced settings.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Thanks, in this case the jobs are using the basic Tools quiesce however, is there an ignore failures option there too I'm missing?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd try with application-aware image processing to see whether the issue is VSS or VMware Tools related.