VNXe 3150 NFS Shares as Repository

VMware specific discussions

Re: VNXe 3150 NFS Shares as Repository

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Hussain,
Two Media pools are created for Daily and Weekly and some tapes been allocated to it;
oNoticed if the Drive is busy and another job started, (while this job is waiting for the first backup to finish, upon the first backup finished, tapes are not reloaded automatically by Veeam). Insert a Valid Tape into the library, last written tape: 0000L5. Even though, tapes already available and ready to be used in the Weekly and Daily Pools.

And what was the option for media set creation you used before? I assumption is correct it was create media set for every backup session – which means when the first backup to tape runs it closes the current media set which makes existing tape no longer appendable. More details about the media set creation option here
Do not create, always continue using the media set

It means the tape job will continue to use existing tape media until its full. Once there is not free space left – tape job will pick another free tape media.
I have configured the Backup to Disk Tapes to backup the Backup Job and scheduled it to start after finishing the backup job. (This method didn’t start at all).

This one needs to be checked by support's team.
Backup to tape speed I’m getting max 83MB/s min 43MB/s, but always on average of 71MB/s.

Check if hardware compression is enabled in conjunction with Veeam compression. Disabling hardware compression can increase the performance a bit.
Backup To Tape of Veeam Backup Files:
If this job is configured, and selection on the Folder of the Veeam Backup To Disk directly selected, the entire contents backup chain of that folder is copied to Tape, with regards to the Pool Set as destination.

It's more likely the behavior of the File to tape job, isn't it? File to tape job knows nothing about the backups and backup jobs – it simply pulls all the new files inside the selected directory based on the modification date. All files during the full backup run and changed ones during the incremental run.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:25 am

Dima P. wrote:Hi Hussain,
Backup To Tape of Veeam Backup Files:
If this job is configured, and selection on the Folder of the Veeam Backup To Disk directly selected, the entire contents backup chain of that folder is copied to Tape, with regards to the Pool Set as destination.

It's more likely the behavior of the File to tape job, isn't it? File to tape job knows nothing about the backups and backup jobs – it simply pulls all the new files inside the selected directory based on the modification date. All files during the full backup run and changed ones during the incremental run.

HI Dima,
Does this means, if I run the backup job again it will backup only the files that has been changed since last backup? In my scenario....

Backup Job configured to Disk and job configured to run every Friday Active Full Backup, and its configured to
Restore Points to Keep on Disk = 5
Remove Deleted VMs Data from Backup after 5 Days
Friday Full Backup - .vbk
Sunday Incremental - .vib
Monday Incremental - .vib
Tuesday Incremental - .vib
Wednesday Incremental - .vib
Thursday Incremental - .vib

On Thursday once the all jobs finished, I run Files to Tape Backup to copy the entire backup chain of 1 Week.
On Friday the Active Veeam Full starts, and it's added to the backup chain. (If I configured the Job (Files to Tape) as Incremental every Saturday, will it backup only the last file (.vbk Friday) file to the tape? or it's gonna adding all the contents again including the previous backup chain?

I'm asking this question because I can't see the file attributes is changing once the Files to Tape Job runs. (Don't you think at least this should change the File Attributes from Ready for Archive, to File already archived and UnCheck the CheckBox? So, if incremental job runs again it will take only the files which recently added and backup didn't run on them.

Regards,
habibalby
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:39 am

Okay,,, I have tried Files to Tape Incremental Job after my Active Full Backup and it picked up only the .vbm and .vbk file which is got.. I think Veeam should change the File Attributes as Files backed up and Uncheck Files is ready for Archiving .

So, my final configuration as follows;
1. Physical Backup Server.
2. Same server act as Storage Repository and Proxy.
3. Two separate Proxy (VMs with 8 gig and 8 vCPUs)
3. Same server connects to VNXe Shares using two pNICs (LACP)
4. VNXe CIFS shares presented to Veeam Backup.
5. Backup to Disk Jobs to CIFS Shares. (Friday Full Active Backup, Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu as Incremental Backup)
6. Keep Restore Points on Disk 5. (Which Results, every Wednesday the old Backup Chain removed by Veeam Job and Thursday last Incremental Backup)
7. Every Thursday after last backup job, Backup Files to Tape starts to backup the whole Backup Chain.
8. Since the Active Veeam Backup is scheduled as Friday, I run Incremental Backup Files to Tape Job to copy .vbm and latest .vbk file as of Yesterday (Friday).

Regards,
habibalby
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere