So, what I ended up doing the following;
1. 12.8 TB CIFS shares presented accessed by the Backup Server where Veeam Manager is installed.
2. CIFS is configured as a Shared Repository in Veeam Manager.
3. I moved the Backup Jobs from old LUNs to the new CIFS Shares and configured the correct jobs mapping.
4. Dell PowerVault 2000L has two backup Drives is presented into the same server.
5. I identified the tapes properly and I assigned the one which is used by Veeam Backup to Tape and disabled the other tape to be used by Symantec Backup Exec (To backup the legacy application.
6. In Symantec Backup Exec, I have disabled the tape which is used by Veeam.
7. In Symantec Backup Exec, I have created a Specific Backup Media Set and set the options as;
[*] Overwrite protection Period = None - Infinite - Don't allow overwrite
[*]Append Period = None - Infinite Allow Append
Tapes are used by Veeam Backup are associated to this Media Set to avoid Symantec Backup Exec using those tapes while Veeam is using them.
8. In Veeam Backup, Created two Media Pools;
I associate some tapes to both Pools.
9. Configured Backup to Tapes Jobs from Backup (Backup Jobs dump it's files to CIFS Shares) and Backup Tapes runs against Backup Jobs. (am I doing it correctly here?).Now the confusing part about tape backups (Daily as Incremental & Weekly as Full) I think Veeam still lacking of proper scheduling when it comes to backup to tape/Disk
I'm using scripts to run my daily and weekly jobs and Active Full Veeam Backup is set as Friday again using different script to run on different timing. This is fine as the Windows Task Scheduler is taking care of the timing when the jobs are running.
[*]Regarding the Backup Jobs to tape, I'm trying to figure it out how the scheduling part can be handled specially since I'm backing up the jobs (Which again I have to make sure the job runs successfully.
[*]In Veeam Backup to Tape there is an option to select the Pool for Full Backup and Incremental Backup. For Full Backup I've selected Weekly Pool. For Incremental Backup, I have selected Daily Pool. The Full Backup Pool, has got a Schedule button to set when the job gonna run Full Backup. The Schedule at the end of the Backup to Tapes Job, what does it do? does it run the incremental as per the Schedule at the end of the Backup to Tape Job and at the same time this Schedule runs as well as Full Backup to tape?
Or do I have to use scripts with Windows Task Scheduler ?
Also, how can I ensure the Backup to Disk successfully completed and after that I run the Backup to Tape Jobs?
Any suggestion / recommendation to this approach, please share your view