Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
J1mbo
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Re: vPower NFS Performance

Post by J1mbo » Aug 20, 2012 2:33 pm

As I said before my observations are that the vPower NFS service is absolutely single-threaded and probably has no read ahead and likely is performing IO entirely synchronously. Personally I'm not too fussed about powering on lots of VMs together but I would like faster migration from vPower to production; GbE speeds would be helpful.

paulhardy
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Hardy

Post by paulhardy » Aug 21, 2012 9:17 am

If I carryout multiple IR's (storage vMotion) to different hosts I can drive the physical 1GB link on the proxy to the maximum throughput (100MBps) easily but a single IR (storage vMotion) I only 50-60 MBps max. I can do a full restore direct to the same host (non IR) which drives the link to the maximum throughput, so I know its a performance issue related to the proxy server or the overall NFS service at the proxy end.

paulhardy
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Hardy

Post by paulhardy » Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am

paulhardy wrote:If I carryout multiple IR's (storage vMotion) to different hosts I can drive the physical 1GB link on the proxy to the maximum throughput (100MBps) easily but a single IR (storage vMotion) I only 50-60 MBps max. I can do a full restore direct to the same host (non IR) which drives the link to the maximum throughput, so I know its a performance issue related to the proxy server or the overall NFS service at the proxy end.
Sorry - I know it's not a performance issue related to the proxy server doh!