Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mteamjpy
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: vSphere 5 Support

Post by mteamjpy »

I'm really impatient too could we be beta tester ?
hla123
Influencer
Full Name: Henrik Larsson

Post by hla123 »

Any new update on vSphere5 support?!
dkvello
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dag Kvello

Post by dkvello »

Any information ?

All vSphere 5 implementations has been on hold for close to a month now, both new installations and upgrades.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Guys,

Please be patient... i`m sure you would only want a 100% working and properly tested fix.... i`m guessing you wouldnt want something that has been hurried and pushed through and find out half of your Vm`s are not backing up properly....

When there is news im 100% sure it will be communicated via here ;)

Trev...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, the hotfix release needs to be delayed until beginning of October for reasons unrelated to issues with Veeam code. The planned fixes were implemented and tested, but appeared not enough. During the final testing, we have found that full vSphere 5 support also requires switching to the new vStorage API version (VDDK 5.0) that only became available along with vSphere 5 release. This in turn requires significant coding effort (to implement new API version's requirements), and major QC effort for full regressive testing across all supported configurations (as vStorage API is the cornerstone of our product, and this is the major release bringing many changes).

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks!
dkvello
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dag Kvello

Post by dkvello »

Thank You for the answer, I just needed to know how long I have to delay (just abouts) new customer implementations.
Can't do without Veeam Backup :-)
hla123
Influencer

Post by hla123 »

vRanger and Backup Exec is already supported!! This is soooo bad it will take this long time for support!! If you say you are #1 VMware product you'll have to support the new VMware products from the beginning like Quest and Symantec does!
My patience for Veeam is soon no more.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

hla123 wrote:vRanger and Backup Exec is already supported!! This is soooo bad it will take this long time for support!! If you say you are #1 VMware product you'll have to support the new VMware products from the beginning like Quest and Symantec does!
That is absolutely NOT true. You seem to draw your conclusions of their marketing, and this is never a good thing to do (never seen much truth there). However, if you would have installed their latest versions and looked up vStorage API (VDDK) version, you would find it is not the latest, vSphere 5 aware version. Because some vendors did not do their testing against vSphere 5 carefully enough, they simply missed the issue around older VDDK versions and VMFS5 volumes, and claimed vSphere 5 support prematurely. Now, their customers have upgraded and struggle. Here, did not take me too long to find an example.

If you prefer BC/DR vendors who like to jump the gun without proper testing - just to be the first to claim something they do not actually have in the product, and then have their upgraded customers "pay" for this with their money, then of course it is your choice. I can say with 100% confidence that Veeam will never be like that (at least while I am here). BC/DR product cannot be rushed, period.
hla123
Influencer

Post by hla123 »

OK, vRanger doesnt work either. How about Symantec?! I mean vSphere 5 beta was released before the summer. We did internal testing as well on the beta. Did you guys did that?! Sure you had noticed this problem on the beta?! Sure the code is sometimes altered before the RTM, but it wouldnt be all to much hassle to adjust the products accordingly?!
dr.bergs
Novice
Full Name: Michael Berg

Post by dr.bergs »

As a distributor of both Veeam,Quest and Symantec, I can tell you that none of the mentioned vendors fully support vSphere 5, yes backups are possible but only through LAN and only if VMFS hasn't been upgraded.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Henrik,

Any vendor who claimed vSphere 5 support before, or on vSphere 5 GA date does not have it in reality, because the RTM version of vSphere5-aware vStorage API (VDDK 5.0) only became available along with actual vSphere 5 release. Every vendor must repackage, implement new API requirements, fully test and release the new product build that includes RTM VDDK 5.0 code before they can claim full vSphere 5 support.

Yes, we were on beta since early days. As you have correctly stated, because there is still drift in the code before RTM, we only perform smoke tests of intermediary builds, and we have been addressing the bugs we saw immediately (as you can see from my first post in this topic). However, complete regressive testing of new vSphere build takes a few weeks with our current product size, and is unreasonable effort to perform until the shipped versions of all components are available (which only happened when vSphere 5 went GA). And even if we did such testing on RC code, we would have to do it again on RTM code anyway. This is just how software development works...

I did personally push VMware folks very hard to provide us with RTM code before GA (as you know, RTM usually happens weeks before GA). This would allow us to start the whole process much earlier, and have full support available soon after release. However, apparently some game rules have changed this year, and we were told that vendors have to wait until GA.

Honestly I don't think this assumptions-driven discussion is very productive... suggest we don't spend any more of our most valuable time on it :D
hla123
Influencer

Post by hla123 »

Thanks for your explanation. My assumtions led me to answer so I´m happy!
Now I at least know why it takes so long time, and what I can say to our customers.
lvh
Novice
Full Name: Lars Viggo Høyer

Post by lvh »

Hi

Just to say that I jumped to VmWare ver. 5 (and fs upgrade to 5.54) maybe a little to fast, but except for replication everything works fine.
So please keep testing so I can have a bug-free backup server :-)

Lars H

Veeam saved my b.. some 8 month ago from an very ugly san failure from which I had to restore everything- 3 hours and I was back in business :-)
digitlman
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by digitlman »

I would much rather wait a little longer and have a product that is stable and works properly, than to have something rushed out just to claim support for the newest OS. I'm looking at you, Symantec.

I applaud Veeam! They are doing this correctly.
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Post by topry »

I concur with others in recommending patience and kudos to Veeam for not trying to rush it out the door and more importantly, for keeping your customers updated with honest feedback.

I cannot imagine putting vSphere 5 on a production system without first testing it AND my disaster recovery solution fully on a test system. There are several new features (sans licensing changes) in vSphere 5 we are looking forward to, but nothing that cannot wait a few weeks. We have decided to wait for Veeam 6 - no point in having to test again upon its release.
Berniebgf
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Bernard Tyers

Post by Berniebgf »

hla123 wrote:vRanger and Backup Exec is already supported!! This is soooo bad it will take this long time for support!! If you say you are #1 VMware product you'll have to support the new VMware products from the beginning like Quest and Symantec does!
:shock: :roll: :?:

BT.
jamessa
Enthusiast
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Post by jamessa »

To give some insight, I attended VMWorld this year and I was under the impression that VSphere 5 was rushed to be released for VMWorld. The company likes to release new products at VMworld.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

People,

me, personally, I hate having to install 8-9 major updates for a product a year just because of some stuff which couldn't make it to GA or because the QA part was shortened because of some marketing/communication jerks. Thus, I always appreciated and found it very upright that VEEAM providentially is not one of these fast rush pushers. And guess what, I still appreciate it.

I like to have a 100% slick&tested backup solution. I don´t want to patch again in one month. And i really don´t want quality to suffer!

Thus, I am very willing to wait because I expect nothing more but 100% quality.

Best regards,
Joerg
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by pinkerton »

I also appreciate that Veeam does proper testing.

@Gostev: Thanks for your inputs in the (now closed) vRanger vs Veeam thread in VMware communities. We've purchased Veeam now and are waiting for the vSphere 5 patch to start :)
torp
Lurker

Post by torp »

Hello,
I used Veeam Backup and FastSCP version 4.1.2, but after the update to version 5.0 vSphere me it does not work. As I read, of course, is not supported. The solution is expected to release v6 Backup and Replication. But can I hope for a patch that would allow me to continue to use my version? Or do you have any other advice?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There will be no patch for Veeam B&R 4.1.2, you need to upgrade to Veeam B&R version 5 and wait for the hotfix in order to support vSphere 5 release.
Gostev wrote:Unfortunately, the hotfix release needs to be delayed until beginning of October for reasons unrelated to issues with Veeam code. The planned fixes were implemented and tested, but appeared not enough. During the final testing, we have found that full vSphere 5 support also requires switching to the new vStorage API version (VDDK 5.0) that only became available along with vSphere 5 release. This in turn requires significant coding effort (to implement new API version's requirements), and major QC effort for full regressive testing across all supported configurations (as vStorage API is the cornerstone of our product, and this is the major release bringing many changes).

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks!
michaelc
Novice
Full Name: Michael Charles

Post by michaelc »

Hi Gostev, do you have an updated ETA? I know it hasn't been long but it's now the beginning of Oct and clients are starting to get itchy :)
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Post by chimera »

When you say early October, how early are we talking here? 1st week, 2nd week? Any ETA?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

By early October I mean 1st half of October (within 10 days from today). Thanks.
torp
Lurker

Post by torp »

Thanks for your response.

Just for information, I found a temporary solution how to backup vSphere 5 with Veeam B&R v4. It works fine, but I'm waiting for hotfix release, because I want to use supported product.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please note that the hotfix will be for the latest version (Veeam B&R 5.0.2), so if you are using earlier B&R version, you would have to upgrade to 5.0.2 before applying the hotfix.
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

Gostev wrote:Please note that the hotfix will be for the latest version (Veeam B&R 5.0.2), so if you are using earlier B&R version, you would have to upgrade to 5.0.2 before applying the hotfix.
Hi, does this mean that we can use Veeam for backups and replications with vSphere 5 if we have this hotfix, and can one request this to help us proceed with vSphere 5 roll-out as we really to press on to help with other projects. Or am I mistaken on the significance/impact of the hotfix?
Thanks,
Farhad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you got it right, this hotfix will allow you to backup/replicate VMs in vSphere 5 environment.
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, you got it right, this hotfix will allow you to backup/replicate VMs in vSphere 5 environment.
Is there anything that we have to be aware of regarding the use of this hotfix, and how would one ask for such a hotfix?
We are eagerly waiting for Veeam to be happy with their support for vSphere 5 before we go ahead with upgrades on our virtual environment, and would be happy to apply the hotfix and provide feedback if it means we can press ahead with the vSphere 5, and as long as Veeam are happy to support such a implementation in production environments.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

All information about this hotfix is provided on this and previous topic pages, please have a look. We'll update this thread once it is available through our support team. Thanks!