Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SDO@BLUE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steffen Domscheit

Re: vSphere 5 Support

Post by SDO@BLUE »

Where we can download this hotfix
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please look through the previous page of this topic more carefully, we will notify everyone about hotfix availability.
michele.schiavo
Lurker
Full Name: Michele Schiavo

Post by michele.schiavo »

Vitaliy S. wrote:we will notify everyone about hotfix availability.
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

michele.schiavo wrote:
I've had a look at as well and couldn't find the link, but then again there is 7 pages of replies to go through.

If I have missed the hotfix link, can someone please let me know what it is.

Thanks.
michele.schiavo
Lurker
Full Name: Michele Schiavo

Post by michele.schiavo »

I think the update isn't ready ... or me too i don't see the link..
withanh
Veteran
Full Name: Darhl

Post by withanh »

He didn't say the hotfix is ready, he said they would notify us when the hotfix is ready.

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
ManuG2k
Influencer
Full Name: Manuel

Post by ManuG2k »

Gostev,
have news for hotfix ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Soon ™
DAPBENJAMIN
Lurker
Full Name: Darren Benjamin

Post by DAPBENJAMIN »

Gostev wrote:Soon ™
OK the TM made me smile!
tsands
Novice
Full Name: Tyson

Post by tsands »

Soon like today :?:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

When it's ready ™
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are talking days now, but actual sign-off day is hard to predict exactly.
richardr67
Lurker

Post by richardr67 »

Thanks for keeping us posted
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Every morning I light a candle for that Hotfix.

Thanks Anton.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Eric, we do feel your support, so thank you for doing this, it does help! By any chance, did you forget to do it this morning? Because we were so close, but then found another bug just when we were ready to sign off the code :D
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

Gostev wrote:Hi Eric, we do feel your support, so thank you for doing this, it does help! By any chance, did you forget to do it this morning? Because we were so close, but then found another bug just when we were ready to sign off the code :D
Eric, why didn't you light a candle this morning, why why why. Or if you knew you couldn't do it this morning, you could have just told us and we would have done it. :D
GordyFaeEdinburgh
Lurker
Full Name: Gordon Hope

Post by GordyFaeEdinburgh »

There is however a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
(Edmund Burke)
ayeratech
Lurker
Full Name: Mathew Ford

Post by ayeratech »

Just had an emergency restore needed for a client of their VPS server and find out that our Veeam backups are not restorable on our vSphere 5 hosts (we upgraded all hosts weeks ago). Needless to say this customer is irate now. So, do we pray for this "pending hotfix" on the hour every hour or simply tell our client that they are screwed? NOT happy about this.
jamiesmith85
Lurker
Full Name: Jamie

Post by jamiesmith85 »

Please please can you make this patch a priority. I am desperate to get my replications and backup working again as they should be!

Thanks

Jamie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This actually IS our highest priority now. As Anton said, we are close to it every day and if no issues are found in the current hotfix build, it will be made available.
goebel
Lurker
Full Name: Georges Goebel

Post by goebel »

Anything new about the update ? Waiting with impatience for the update.

But I prefer waiting a little bit longer for a working patch than for a fast patch which does only work at the first look :-)

Georges
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

ayeratech wrote:Just had an emergency restore needed for a client of their VPS server and find out that our Veeam backups are not restorable on our vSphere 5 hosts (we upgraded all hosts weeks ago). Needless to say this customer is irate now. So, do we pray for this "pending hotfix" on the hour every hour or simply tell our client that they are screwed? NOT happy about this.
While it's not possible to perform a direct restore to vSphere 5 hosts, you should be able to restore the VMDK files to pretty much anywhere and then transfer them via the datastore browser. Not ideal, but you can get the restore done for the client.
schaffeb
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ben S

Post by schaffeb »

ayeratech wrote:Just had an emergency restore needed for a client of their VPS server and find out that our Veeam backups are not restorable on our vSphere 5 hosts (we upgraded all hosts weeks ago). Needless to say this customer is irate now. So, do we pray for this "pending hotfix" on the hour every hour or simply tell our client that they are screwed? NOT happy about this.
The lack of a hotfix is delaying our entire vSphere 5 roll-out so I can empathize with your situation to a certain extent. However, data integrity is the most important thing with a backup product. If they rush a out a fix that corrupts backups or something similar it would be far worse.
nboch
Novice

Post by nboch »

Here, we completely need Veeam to support vmfs5 because of the new 'Space Reclamation' functionality.
Actually, our SAN doesnt free memory that VmWare dont want anymore., so the SAN volumes are getting full. If we join this no-return point, the SAN goes offline and all VMs freeze.
As we cant upgrade our backup software at the moment, we pray for the SAN to resist to the VMs' data still the hotfix arrive... :D
Hope you'll not discover another deeply hidden bug just before to click the 'release' button ! :)
eriklalande
Novice
Full Name: Erik Lalande

Post by eriklalande »

We are desperate for this update. I come to these forums so much that my Google Chrome is now putting Veeam on the top 6 most visited sites on my homepage. We bought Veeam 5 with vSphere 5.0 the day VMware released it, so we have actually not had a working version of Veeam at all and we have owned it for almost two months. Every day its a new promise, first promise was within a week or two of them releasing vSphere 5, next promise was in the first half of October, now this month is quickly coming to an end and we still do not have the hotfix.
Natoli
Novice
Full Name: Anthony

Post by Natoli »

glad to see i wasn't the only dummy who read the second post on this thread and jumped into vsphere5 thinking it was supported
mike143
Novice
Full Name: mike

Post by mike143 »

eriklalande wrote:We are desperate for this update. I come to these forums so much that my Google Chrome is now putting Veeam on the top 6 most visited sites on my homepage. We bought Veeam 5 with vSphere 5.0 the day VMware released it, so we have actually not had a working version of Veeam at all and we have owned it for almost two months. Every day its a new promise, first promise was within a week or two of them releasing vSphere 5, next promise was in the first half of October, now this month is quickly coming to an end and we still do not have the hotfix.
+1, Bought Veeam B&R Enterprise on 9/23/11 and VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Kit on 9/21/11. Never thought to check vSphere 5 compatibility. Monitoring this thread daily.
Libertas
Enthusiast

Post by Libertas »

mike143 wrote: +1, Bought Veeam B&R Enterprise on 9/23/11 and VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Kit on 9/21/11. Never thought to check vSphere 5 compatibility. Monitoring this thread daily.
Its funny, because for every person who didn't do their homework, there are around 100 of us that did and didn't upgrade to vSphere 5 because a crucial element of the environment (i.e. backup) was still not supported. Perhaps lesson to learn here is not to blame the vendor for something they didn't promise, but to take a page from the "Common Sense 101"...handbook
Veeam, please don't release a product that is not stable and feel free to take all the (reasonable) time needed to release a fix/solution when its ready and working. I am far happier knowing that my backup solution works, and I can go to it with 100% peace of mind when the worst has happened and I need to actually use my backups.
ThomasMc
Veteran
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Thomas McConnell

Post by ThomasMc »

Suppose you could restore to a nested ESXi 4.1 Server
mike143
Novice
Full Name: mike

Post by mike143 »

Libertas wrote: Its funny, because for every person who didn't do their homework, there are around 100 of us that did and didn't upgrade to vSphere 5 because a crucial element of the environment (i.e. backup) was still not supported. Perhaps lesson to learn here is not to blame the vendor for something they didn't promise, but to take a page from the "Common Sense 101"...handbook
Veeam, please don't release a product that is not stable and feel free to take all the (reasonable) time needed to release a fix/solution when its ready and working. I am far happier knowing that my backup solution works, and I can go to it with 100% peace of mind when the worst has happened and I need to actually use my backups.
I guess when I put +1 I was +1 the complaint portion also by default. I do not blame Veeam. I just ASS-U-MEd that Veeam was compatible with vSphere 5.