Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Locked
lazman
Novice
Posts: 9
Liked: never
Joined: Dec 03, 2018 9:09 am
Full Name: lazman
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by lazman » Jan 07, 2019 10:47 am

3 months of waiting for an update! Your V & R license costs some several thousand euros.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 23860
Liked: 3209 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Gostev » Jan 07, 2019 1:23 pm 2 people like this post

Actually, vSphere 6.7 U1 was only made generally available on Oct 16, so less than 3 months. Plus, a part of waiting was during the holiday season, which took some working days out.

But in any case, the update was shipped late last month and we're now in early availability stage - so you're more than welcome to request one through our technical support team and be a part of pilot deployments.

I am not sure I understand your comment on the license cost though.

trippinnik
Novice
Posts: 3
Liked: 1 time
Joined: Jun 05, 2018 11:39 am
Full Name: Nik Tripp
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by trippinnik » Jan 07, 2019 4:29 pm

3 months is considerably longer than all our other vmware integrated products so i wouldn't consider that a short amount of time and the veeam update still not released ...

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 23860
Liked: 3209 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Gostev » Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm 9 people like this post

It is true that we take QC way more serious than other vendors, which is why it is not uncommon for us to find issues that slip even by VMware QC.

I mean, would you prefer to have the code sooner, and then run into all sort of major issues with it - exactly like it happened before to our major competitors? In that case, Veeam is probably not a right fit for you, because vast majority of our customers are loud and clear about the fact that they prefer us to the competition specifically for quality and reliability - and are willing to wait for the sake of those. So, I really don't see us changing our approaches.

By the way, I am putting aside the fact that literally no other product on the market is integrated with vSphere as deeply as Veeam, meaning we do have much more functionality to test and fix with every vSphere release. This may not be immediately obvious, because all of that stuff is under the hood - but nevertheless, something to keep in mind for "apples to apples" comparison with other products.

Frosty
Expert
Posts: 162
Liked: 35 times
Joined: Dec 22, 2009 9:00 pm
Full Name: Stephen Frost
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Frosty » Jan 07, 2019 9:54 pm 4 people like this post

I'd like to support both Gostev and Veeam on this.
Reliability is my #1 priority. I wait for other people to rush to deploy the "latest and greatest".
Then they find all the bugs and I can come along 3-6 months later to install the patched product and they've done all the testing for me.
About 3 years ago my manager said to me "I want you to install the latest version of everything (O/S and apps) within 3 months of release".
My response, out loud, in front of the rest of the team: "Over my dead body".

kurt
Enthusiast
Posts: 65
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Jul 07, 2010 9:03 pm
Full Name: Robert
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by kurt » Jan 07, 2019 10:11 pm

joel.thompson wrote:
Jan 02, 2019 1:39 am
Hi Guys,

I updated VCSA over the holidays, figuring it would only install security patches and not raise it to 6.7U1, technically the version I am now running is 6.7.0.20100.

Backups failed so I implemented this registry fix which did not work, I then removed the VM and re-added the VM to the test backup project and it now runs fine, is this something that is required or or should I remove the registry fix and just remove/add the VM's to the backup list to see if that works?
I'm on 6.7u1a \ 6.7.0.20100 as well. What did you end up doing? Was the registry fix and removing \ re-adding the VMs to the backup job enough to solve the problems?

Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Posts: 5343
Liked: 560 times
Joined: Feb 08, 2013 3:08 pm
Full Name: Mike Resseler
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Mike Resseler » Jan 08, 2019 6:45 am

@Kurt,

I think it is best now to contact support to get hold of the RTM bits. We are close to GA so now working with workarounds is (imho) not necessary anymore.

lazman
Novice
Posts: 9
Liked: never
Joined: Dec 03, 2018 9:09 am
Full Name: lazman
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by lazman » Jan 08, 2019 11:19 am

So is it right for you to use the fear of bugs to keep your customers waiting all the time you need?
You are not a brand entry level nor is your price list.
For me it is not correct not to give certain product release dates, or decide to get out an upgrade taking your time comfortably. Maybe it is appropriate to hire some more developer and tester if you can not give certain times to exit the upgrades.
Otherwise with these excuses you could justify any exit time. Where is the right time for you? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months? Or all the time it takes for you to be ready? Normally in the world of work, not everyone is lucky enough to be able to deliver a job when you are ready and sure you have finished, not even at school! That said, yes, I bought your B & R because I thought it was the best in the market, I paid 3 years of maintenance in advance, not knowing that you can take the time you want to release the updates.
Mine is not a controversy, but a constructive criticism to be able to improve and I apologize if translating into English use of too bright tones, but I like to say what I think.

kurt
Enthusiast
Posts: 65
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Jul 07, 2010 9:03 pm
Full Name: Robert
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by kurt » Jan 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:
Jan 08, 2019 6:45 am
@Kurt,

I think it is best now to contact support to get hold of the RTM bits. We are close to GA so now working with workarounds is (imho) not necessary anymore.
So right after updating vcenter 6.7 U1a \ 6.7.0.20100, I made the registry modification and rebooted the veeam server. Backups and Replication jobs succeeded without any issues. I have not installed esxi host updates yet. So it looks like I'm good until the update 4 release.

Regnor
Service Provider
Posts: 289
Liked: 54 times
Joined: Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Regnor » Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm

@lazman: Veeam does maintain a high quality and stability until now. Their way has worked very well in the last years and I wouldn't want to risk that just to get faster releases.
Even more manpower doesn't mean that the product itself does get any better, if you look at other products.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 23860
Liked: 3209 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Gostev » Jan 08, 2019 4:01 pm

lazman wrote:
Jan 08, 2019 11:19 am
Otherwise with these excuses you could justify any exit time. Where is the right time for you? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months?
Actually, we have always had the official commitment for this, which is to ship support for new platforms within 90 days since their GA. And actual historical average has been about 2 months over past many years, meaning vSphere 6.7 U1 support time frame is inline with all previous vSphere releases. Which is why I really don't understand all the fuss here, like something special is going on with our support timelines for this particular vSphere release...

ikbarbero
Novice
Posts: 6
Liked: 1 time
Joined: Jun 19, 2018 10:45 am
Full Name: Iker
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by ikbarbero » Jan 08, 2019 7:53 pm

Imho, 90 days support timeframe is reasonable for a quality product like Veeam. My experience with other vendor is terrible, there are one that claim support the day after but then simply don't work, and another one that don't support new updates for months.... Maybe could be positive to have a beta program where clients can register and be able to update before RTM, for sure not for production. Most vendor, even vmware, have something like that.

PS: I open support case asking if it's possible to access early RTM bits for our testing enviroment.

meverts
Lurker
Posts: 1
Liked: never
Joined: Jan 08, 2019 8:42 pm
Full Name: Mickey Everts
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by meverts » Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm

My personal theory is people are really sick of the flash interface and can't wait any longer for that sweet, sweet HTML5 client.

rarens
Influencer
Posts: 12
Liked: never
Joined: Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am
Full Name: Reinhard Arens
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by rarens » Jan 09, 2019 8:03 am

Hi,

I have updated one ESXi Server, which I backup directly not per vcenter.
Here is the fix not working, is that right?

VG

reinhard

lazman
Novice
Posts: 9
Liked: never
Joined: Dec 03, 2018 9:09 am
Full Name: lazman
Contact:

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by lazman » Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Ok, that if you say a 3 month waiting time is fine. Maybe it would be appropriate to write it in large letters on your site. I was new with your product and with the update to 6.5 I updated after 1 month about not knowing your timing. I found myself with the backup not working and I had to reinstall 4 esxi hosts. It's the first time in 20 years of work that such a thing happened to me. Now I know I have to be careful since I veeam. But I would prefer to receive your email telling me not to update until your next update.

Maybe even have an estimated release date of the update and a beta channel. Thank you.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StevenMeier and 6 guests