Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Matthew and welcome to the community!

We have no compatibility matrix, however, all those Express Patches are made to fix bugs and known issues.
It doesn't break anything in terms of backup.

Please take a look at the explanation by wishr in this thread here. Thanks!
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Post by evilaedmin »

KaramuHS wrote: Dec 27, 2018 4:10 am Is there a compatibility matrix for the latest Veeam version vs vSphere/hosts somewhere?
I think there is but it does not seem to track patch releases in any meaningful way: https://www.veeam.com/kb2443

I would tend to interpret this as, any patch releases are supported by default, however if VMware chooses to change something, or introduce some regression, it's not Veeam's fault. Which is a shame, we pay Veeam reasonable amounts of money for which they should be able to within a reasonable amount of time explicitly qualify each patch release, update the QC matrix, and these threads would be much shorter with fewer questions.
dfarrall
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by dfarrall »

wishr wrote: Dec 18, 2018 10:54 am VMware Express Patches for 6.7 GA version do not include previous Updates bits. 6.7 GA and 6.7 Updates are two different independent branches in terms of patches releases (while updates may include previous EPs, though). Build versions do not indicate any dependencies between those two. As Gostev mentioned, B&R U3a does support patched VMware 6.7 GA versions that currently exist.
Sorry but this is not true, we have upgraded to 6.7 EP 05 from the advice given in this thread and ran into the same issue as people who upgraded to 6.7u1.

We've put the reg fix in which has resolved it, but not really what i wanted..
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Dfarrall,

Welcome to the Veeam community forums and thanks for posting.

Could you please let us know from which version you've upgraded?

Thanks
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

ngreen wrote: Dec 12, 2018 4:28 pmWe have a couple of test Windows Server 2019 VMs (GUI not core) and they are backing up just fine. VMs are running the latest VMware Tools 10.3.5 - no official word on 2019 support in the release notes, but might be worth upgrading the tools to test.
Are you using AAP or general guest quiescence? I haven't tried AAP but quiescence fails (both Veeam-initated and vSphere-initiated) with "An expected hidden volume arrival did not complete because this LUN was not detected." However this hidden disk is inserted just fine according to logs... Tried both Full and Core, patches and without.
As DISKSHADOW VSS backup emulation works fine, I guess it's an issue with VMware Snapshot Provider (Tools). I guess I'll have to create a VMware SR.
dfarrall
Lurker

Post by dfarrall »

We went from ESXI 6.0 (6921384) to 6.7 EP5 (10764712) and vCenter 6.7.0.14000 (9451876)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

That's very strange. I'll check with the internal teams what could be a reason for that, because this is not expected behavior.
joel.thompson
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joel Thompson

Post by joel.thompson »

Hi Guys,

I updated VCSA over the holidays, figuring it would only install security patches and not raise it to 6.7U1, technically the version I am now running is 6.7.0.20100.

Backups failed so I implemented this registry fix which did not work, I then removed the VM and re-added the VM to the test backup project and it now runs fine, is this something that is required or or should I remove the registry fix and just remove/add the VM's to the backup list to see if that works?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Joel,

If I am not mistaken, this means your VCSA is now version 6.7U1a. Which is only supported by us in update 4. This thread talks about updating the ESXi servers to 6.7 U1. Is this also done by you or only the appliance?
ngreen
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil Green

Post by ngreen »

DonZoomik wrote: Dec 31, 2018 11:05 am Are you using AAP or general guest quiescence? I haven't tried AAP but quiescence fails (both Veeam-initated and vSphere-initiated) with "An expected hidden volume arrival did not complete because this LUN was not detected." However this hidden disk is inserted just fine according to logs... Tried both Full and Core, patches and without.
As DISKSHADOW VSS backup emulation works fine, I guess it's an issue with VMware Snapshot Provider (Tools). I guess I'll have to create a VMware SR.
Yes, we're using AAP without VMware tools quiescence, Veeam 9.5 update3a with the registry fix, VCSA 6.7 update 1 and ESXi 6.7 update 1. Maybe AAP is the difference as it quiesces using Microsoft VSS rather than using VMware Tools which doesn't officially support 2019 yet?
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

I was just inserting the SR and this showed up in suggestions: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/60395
I guess I have to resort to AAP for now.
joel.thompson
Novice
Full Name: Joel Thompson

Post by joel.thompson »

Mike, do you suggest trying to get hold of Veeam update 4 beta or downgrade VCSA?
pbosgraaf
Lurker
Full Name: Peter Bosgraaf

Post by pbosgraaf »

Any news on the supportability of vSphere 6.7u1 with 9.5u3a?
We are keen to update to 6.7u1 asap due to some security fixes, Veeam is our last hard blocker.
Since the 3-4 weeks mentioned in the first post have already passed i would love to see an official update on this.

Thanks!
Peter
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Peter,

First: Welcome to the forums

VBR 9.5 Update 4 will fully support 6.7u1. We are in the last stage so expect GA within a few weeks.

@Joel: If you can live with the current fix... As you see from above, the support will be out soon. Or if it is really urgent, please contact your system engineer to see if he can help you
danielbastos
Service Provider
Full Name: Daniel Bastos

Post by danielbastos »

The solution solved my problem.

Thanks
lazman
Enthusiast
Full Name: lazman

Post by lazman »

3 months of waiting for an update! Your V & R license costs some several thousand euros.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Actually, vSphere 6.7 U1 was only made generally available on Oct 16, so less than 3 months. Plus, a part of waiting was during the holiday season, which took some working days out.

But in any case, the update was shipped late last month and we're now in early availability stage - so you're more than welcome to request one through our technical support team and be a part of pilot deployments.

I am not sure I understand your comment on the license cost though.
trippinnik
Novice
Full Name: Nik Tripp

Post by trippinnik »

3 months is considerably longer than all our other vmware integrated products so i wouldn't consider that a short amount of time and the veeam update still not released ...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 9 people like this post

It is true that we take QC way more serious than other vendors, which is why it is not uncommon for us to find issues that slip even by VMware QC.

I mean, would you prefer to have the code sooner, and then run into all sort of major issues with it - exactly like it happened before to our major competitors? In that case, Veeam is probably not a right fit for you, because vast majority of our customers are loud and clear about the fact that they prefer us to the competition specifically for quality and reliability - and are willing to wait for the sake of those. So, I really don't see us changing our approaches.

By the way, I am putting aside the fact that literally no other product on the market is integrated with vSphere as deeply as Veeam, meaning we do have much more functionality to test and fix with every vSphere release. This may not be immediately obvious, because all of that stuff is under the hood - but nevertheless, something to keep in mind for "apples to apples" comparison with other products.
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Post by Frosty » 4 people like this post

I'd like to support both Gostev and Veeam on this.
Reliability is my #1 priority. I wait for other people to rush to deploy the "latest and greatest".
Then they find all the bugs and I can come along 3-6 months later to install the patched product and they've done all the testing for me.
About 3 years ago my manager said to me "I want you to install the latest version of everything (O/S and apps) within 3 months of release".
My response, out loud, in front of the rest of the team: "Over my dead body".
kurt
Enthusiast
Full Name: Robert

Post by kurt »

joel.thompson wrote: Jan 02, 2019 1:39 am Hi Guys,

I updated VCSA over the holidays, figuring it would only install security patches and not raise it to 6.7U1, technically the version I am now running is 6.7.0.20100.

Backups failed so I implemented this registry fix which did not work, I then removed the VM and re-added the VM to the test backup project and it now runs fine, is this something that is required or or should I remove the registry fix and just remove/add the VM's to the backup list to see if that works?
I'm on 6.7u1a \ 6.7.0.20100 as well. What did you end up doing? Was the registry fix and removing \ re-adding the VMs to the backup job enough to solve the problems?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@Kurt,

I think it is best now to contact support to get hold of the RTM bits. We are close to GA so now working with workarounds is (imho) not necessary anymore.
lazman
Enthusiast

Post by lazman »

So is it right for you to use the fear of bugs to keep your customers waiting all the time you need?
You are not a brand entry level nor is your price list.
For me it is not correct not to give certain product release dates, or decide to get out an upgrade taking your time comfortably. Maybe it is appropriate to hire some more developer and tester if you can not give certain times to exit the upgrades.
Otherwise with these excuses you could justify any exit time. Where is the right time for you? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months? Or all the time it takes for you to be ready? Normally in the world of work, not everyone is lucky enough to be able to deliver a job when you are ready and sure you have finished, not even at school! That said, yes, I bought your B & R because I thought it was the best in the market, I paid 3 years of maintenance in advance, not knowing that you can take the time you want to release the updates.
Mine is not a controversy, but a constructive criticism to be able to improve and I apologize if translating into English use of too bright tones, but I like to say what I think.
kurt
Enthusiast
Full Name: Robert

Post by kurt »

Mike Resseler wrote: Jan 08, 2019 6:45 am @Kurt,

I think it is best now to contact support to get hold of the RTM bits. We are close to GA so now working with workarounds is (imho) not necessary anymore.
So right after updating vcenter 6.7 U1a \ 6.7.0.20100, I made the registry modification and rebooted the veeam server. Backups and Replication jobs succeeded without any issues. I have not installed esxi host updates yet. So it looks like I'm good until the update 4 release.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

@lazman: Veeam does maintain a high quality and stability until now. Their way has worked very well in the last years and I wouldn't want to risk that just to get faster releases.
Even more manpower doesn't mean that the product itself does get any better, if you look at other products.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

lazman wrote: Jan 08, 2019 11:19 amOtherwise with these excuses you could justify any exit time. Where is the right time for you? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months?
Actually, we have always had the official commitment for this, which is to ship support for new platforms within 90 days since their GA. And actual historical average has been about 2 months over past many years, meaning vSphere 6.7 U1 support time frame is inline with all previous vSphere releases. Which is why I really don't understand all the fuss here, like something special is going on with our support timelines for this particular vSphere release...
ikbarbero
Novice
Full Name: Iker

Post by ikbarbero »

Imho, 90 days support timeframe is reasonable for a quality product like Veeam. My experience with other vendor is terrible, there are one that claim support the day after but then simply don't work, and another one that don't support new updates for months.... Maybe could be positive to have a beta program where clients can register and be able to update before RTM, for sure not for production. Most vendor, even vmware, have something like that.

PS: I open support case asking if it's possible to access early RTM bits for our testing enviroment.
meverts
Lurker
Full Name: Mickey Everts

Post by meverts »

My personal theory is people are really sick of the flash interface and can't wait any longer for that sweet, sweet HTML5 client.
rarens
Influencer
Full Name: Reinhard Arens

Post by rarens »

Hi,

I have updated one ESXi Server, which I backup directly not per vcenter.
Here is the fix not working, is that right?

VG

reinhard
lazman
Enthusiast

Post by lazman »

Ok, that if you say a 3 month waiting time is fine. Maybe it would be appropriate to write it in large letters on your site. I was new with your product and with the update to 6.5 I updated after 1 month about not knowing your timing. I found myself with the backup not working and I had to reinstall 4 esxi hosts. It's the first time in 20 years of work that such a thing happened to me. Now I know I have to be careful since I veeam. But I would prefer to receive your email telling me not to update until your next update.

Maybe even have an estimated release date of the update and a beta channel. Thank you.