Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Regnor
Service Provider
Liked: 54 times

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Regnor » Jan 15, 2019 7:14 pm

In general I declare every new VMware release as unsupported before I find a statement which says that it works and/or is supported; at least all major releases. This goes for Veeam and Backup Exec which I both work with.
I can't risk the backup of our customers and VMware often introduces new incompatibilities.

On the other hand I've often requested a better support or compatibility matrix as find information on supported application is not always as easy with Veeam as with other Vendors. If I ever publish a blog I'll create such a matrix ;)

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3254 times

Post by Gostev » Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Release notes is the ultimate source for this information. Please check them out, and see if anything is missing that you think should be added (I usually personally work on them). Thanks!

chris_lalala
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by chris_lalala » Jan 16, 2019 9:52 am

Is there a Veeam Release in sight witch supports vSphere 6.7 U1 without any Workaround?

I'm not willing to implement any Workaround witch causes later issues.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 596 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » Jan 16, 2019 10:00 am

There is no issue with the workaround later. You can remove the reg key later even after some day when you have upgraded to Update 4 which will support vSphere 6.7U1.

And yes, there is fully support Veeam Backup & Replication v9.5 Update 4 RTM available through Veeam support ticket or download method described in the Forum weekly digest. Release of update 4 is planned for Jan 22.

RTM Version can be updated to later Veeam versions without reinstall.

ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan » Jan 17, 2019 3:59 pm

I suggest you subscribe to the weekly forum digest mail by Gostev.
That always contains information about major Microsoft or VMWare updates and compatibility.

stvajnkf
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by stvajnkf » Jan 18, 2019 2:56 am

Andreas Neufert wrote:
Jan 16, 2019 10:00 am
And yes, there is fully support Veeam Backup & Replication v9.5 Update 4 RTM available through Veeam support ticket or download method described in the Forum weekly digest. Release of update 4 is planned for Jan 22.
What if we don't subscribe to the weekly digests. Can someone share the secret handshake

Novox
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times

Post by Novox » Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Not really a secret, but:

evilaedmin
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Post by evilaedmin » Jan 21, 2019 7:37 pm 6 people like this post

I have a slightly different complaint, which is not that Veeam isn't doing enough to support latest releases, but that VMware isn't doing enough to make sure their releases are supported by key partners in a timely fashion. Some examples:
  • Gostev stated somewhere that there is no public or partner preview program for GA releases of vSphere which would allow partners to begin regression testing earlier. Sounds insane to me.
  • Gostev stated somewhere that during critical bugs such as the VDDK hot-add slowness issues, a major partner like Veeam is at the mercy of VMware and there was no hotfix in sight. An argument can easily be formed that Veeam is VMware's largest backup partner and that their customers would be most dis proportionally affected.
  • VMware for some reason doesn't seem to prioritize regressions such as the introduction of the crashing hotadd proxy in 6.5 Update 2, which affected more Veeam customers than any speculative execution attacks, which received many timely patches. Again, from a practical customer angle, this seems like a misallocation of resources. Yes, I am saying that for security and availability a crashing proxy had much more impact than speculative execution attacks.
So is there anything a customer of Veeam and VMware can do to help the situation?

Novox
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times

Day 0 Update for RTM users

Post by Novox » Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm 2 people like this post

Great work today Anton (Gostev)!

Where and how will RTM users be notified about the 0-day update for GA? I know it's a few days after GA, but will it be clearly listed on the download site? Will a download link be included in the next digest? Do I need to open a support ticket to request it?

Thank you,
~Bill

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3254 times

Post by Gostev » Jan 22, 2019 9:11 pm 1 person likes this post

Thank you!

From the official communication perspective, I assume we will likely just notify everyone who downloaded the RTM bits directly via email (unless they opted to unsubscribe from all Veeam communication). But of course, there will be a KB article, forum post, digest mention etc.

pocjason
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Head

Post by pocjason » Jan 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Update 4: https://www.veeam.com/kb2878

After this update is installed, do we need to delete the registry key that was created for the workaround as per KB 2784 or does the installation of this update modify/delete that key?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Jan 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Jason, you can remove the key, however, this doesn't affect product operation.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Post by Andreas Neufert » Jan 24, 2019 10:41 pm 1 person likes this post

evilaedmin wrote:
Jan 21, 2019 7:37 pm
I have a slightly different complaint, which is not that Veeam isn't doing enough to support latest releases, but that VMware isn't doing enough to make sure their releases are supported by key partners in a timely fashion. Some examples:
  • Gostev stated somewhere that there is no public or partner preview program for GA releases of vSphere which would allow partners to begin regression testing earlier. Sounds insane to me.
  • Gostev stated somewhere that during critical bugs such as the VDDK hot-add slowness issues, a major partner like Veeam is at the mercy of VMware and there was no hotfix in sight. An argument can easily be formed that Veeam is VMware's largest backup partner and that their customers would be most dis proportionally affected.
  • VMware for some reason doesn't seem to prioritize regressions such as the introduction of the crashing hotadd proxy in 6.5 Update 2, which affected more Veeam customers than any speculative execution attacks, which received many timely patches. Again, from a practical customer angle, this seems like a misallocation of resources. Yes, I am saying that for security and availability a crashing proxy had much more impact than speculative execution attacks.
So is there anything a customer of Veeam and VMware can do to help the situation?
Hi evilaedmin,

I think we fixed this on both sides and work now even more closely together than before. The details are NDA related but we are on a really good path now.

That said, we will still need to do regression testing with final code (VMware add bugfixes until last minute and we need to check to provide official support statement. Our work with VMware can provide at day 0 additional details and be able to react faster if something breaks. And this not only for release but as well for updates.

@All, please remember to delete the added reg key some time after update 4 implementation to enable Veeam to use the new VMware vSphere 6.7 U1 related API calls.

someonesomewhere
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by someonesomewhere » Jan 25, 2019 10:14 am 1 person likes this post

Could I just ask, does 9.5 U4 support the latest vCenter 6.7 U1b (6.7.0.21000)

Thanks

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Post by Andreas Neufert » Jan 25, 2019 11:42 am 1 person likes this post

Patches usually do not change the APIs and it just works. Yes