Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 197 times

Re: vSphere 7.0 U2 Support

Post by mkretzer »

I know its only 3 days - but since now of "VCenter crashing" issue might also benefit from U2 may i ask again: are there any news about the patch?

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 5007 times

Post by Gostev »

No.

And I'm also not sure if it addresses your issue anyway, since the selection of bugs it fixes was done quite a while ago, and based on the number of support cases.

However, the world does not end with the next patch: we can always build a hot fix on top of it, and there will be other patches and updates in the future where new common issues can be addressed.

mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 197 times

Post by mkretzer »

Yes, VMware told me that Veeam is the culpit here, still they also told me after i mentioned that they cannot only blame you for this that VMware did some optimisations with U2 which "might" help. But this is something for another thread.

jamerson
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

Hi Guys,
it's been almost 2 month sinds U2 has been release, is there a indication of the fix?
we havent updated our productions yet, but some customer they had to update some of their clusters because VMware has advised to do so to fix some drivers issues.
Thank you

Mildur
Veeam Legend
Liked: 353 times
Full Name: Fabian Kessler

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

From Antons Newsletter this week:
We have finished the implementation of the next big cumulative patch for Veeam Backup & Replication 11 which brings vSphere 7.0 U2 support and have the release candidate build ready, however ran into a couple of unexpected issues with the code signing. One of them is actually quite interesting: our digital code signing provider suddenly dropped support for SHA-1 signatures, which we used in addition to SHA-256 signatures to ensure continued support for legacy OS which cannot process SHA-256 signatures. And it's hard to be mad at them since SHA-1 time has long passed, but now we need to make some unplanned build process changes. This also makes a good point for the recent topic of dropping support for legacy platform versions: even if we try our best to keep supporting them for as long as reasonably possible, the industry train as a whole cannot be stopped.
VMCE 9 | Veeam Legends 2021
Working with Veeam since 2017 for a VCSP in Switzerland
—————————————————————
VeeamOn 2021: https://www.veeam.com/veeamon

KiwiBruce
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bruce M

Post by KiwiBruce »

jamerson wrote: May 03, 2021 5:14 pm Hi Guys,
it's been almost 2 month sinds U2 has been release, is there a indication of the fix?
we havent updated our productions yet, but some customer they had to update some of their clusters because VMware has advised to do so to fix some drivers issues.
Thank you
Veeams Policy is to support new versions in 90 days after GA Release.
For vsphere 7.0 U2, this means: Release date + 90 days.
It can take until June 2021 for official support by veeam.

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 1350 times

Post by HannesK »

Veeams Policy is to support new versions in 90 days after GA Release.
let's slightly re-phrase that to: "historically we were able to deliver support within 90 days, with only a few exceptions. But sometimes there are 3rd party changes that prevent support within that timeframe (for example Linux kernels 5.8 and later for VAL)".

The goal is to deliver before June as stated above.

fdegueldre
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: François DEGUELDRE

Post by fdegueldre »

Hello Guys,

We have to push vSphere 7.0U2 to production soon (June i guess) and i wanted to validate this upgrade in our LAB including Veeam Upgrade, is there any way to get our hand on an RC or Beta release even with this signing issue? Like asking to support?
If not i will have to wait for some more time.

Thx you in advance for your help.

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 1350 times

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, please be patient, there is no beta program for patches.

Best regards,
Hannes

janro
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by janro »

Veeam R&D Forums Digest (in May 3) said that:
"We have finished the implementation of the next big cumulative patch for Veeam Backup & Replication 11 which brings vSphere 7.0 U2 support and have the release candidate build ready, however ran into a couple of unexpected issues with the code signing. One of them is actually quite interesting: our digital code signing provider suddenly dropped support for SHA-1 signatures, which we used in addition to SHA-256 signatures to ensure continued support for legacy OS which cannot process SHA-256 signatures."
I really hope we will get the patch in first half on May.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 5007 times

Post by Gostev »

We have resolved the code signing issue described above, but the other one still remains open. That issue is on the VMware side and it prevents the signing of our CDP I/O filter driver, which was updated to provide vSphere 7.0 U2 support. They have confirmed a bug on their side and are working to fix it, but specific timelines are unknown.