Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
IanBolton
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: IanE

vsphere client plugin query

Post by IanBolton »

Hello
I suspect I know the answer to this question but here goes.

I have one VBR/EM installation which looks after 2 x vcenter instances.

If I deploy the plugin into vcenter1, and point it back at the EM instance, the plugin shows me the overview/statistics etc of all of the jobs which VBR runs and NOT just for THAT vcenter.
Is there a clever way to make the plugin show me stats for just the vcenter to which it is deployed?

Hope this makes sense.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: vsphere client plugin query

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

The plugin shows the statistics etc. of the Enterprise Manager. The number of VCenters / the source is irrelevant, yes.

The feature request makes sense, yes 👍

Best regards,
Hannes
IanBolton
Enthusiast

Post by IanBolton »

Thanks for the reply.

To me this behaviour doesn't make sense - if I back up multiple vcenter environments and a significant physical estate, it might be the case that admins of respective vcenter environments only care about the backups in their area.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

may I ask, what the overall goal is? I'm asking myself, whether the vCenter plugin is the right tool... because there is also the vSphere self service backup portal https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
IanBolton
Enthusiast

Post by IanBolton »

Thanks, that looks interesting I will explore that further (but not on the day before I take 2 weeks annual leave :-) )

The goal is to allow some of the team to quickly check the status of the backups from an interface they are in regularly (vsphere client) rather than having to go to VBR itself or EM.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

for that, I would use "Set successful backup details to this VM attribute" instead of the plugin.
IanBolton
Enthusiast

Post by IanBolton »

another useful tip, thanks, but that would still involve a manual check of each VM, or some sort of powercli report to be run to query the contents of whatever attribute I update. The good thing about the plugin is that it is one click, and a nice shiny graph of status with green and yellow and red lights on it. Managers like green lights!

It cant be a massive jump to allow the plugin to have a 'switcher' for the scope of the plugin to be JUST that vcenter.

If you are an admin on that vcenter, you want to look at the backup status for that vcenter.
If you are the full VBR admin you want to look at the status of ALL backups and you will use VBR/EM for that.

Although it does seem to me that the vc plugin is primarily a marketing tool for the reports which I could get in availability suite ;-)
IanBolton
Enthusiast

Post by IanBolton »

Also:
NOTE

You cannot create a vSphere Self-Service Backup Portal tenant account for a local user account
This therefore useless to me as the EM server is not a domain member - none of our VBR servers are domain members for security.